IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

problems with my HID's need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-06, 07:02 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisM910
oka it sounds like we have the same ones so im going to go over there tomorrow and tell him that its probably my ballasts which is the box that everything plugs into, and that should make everything work thank you guys, also how come none of my warning came up on my dash
?????
not sure why there wasn't a warning but I didn't get a warning either....
Old 03-01-06, 07:04 PM
ChrisM910
Driver

Originally Posted by Payam
?????
not sure why there wasn't a warning but I didn't get a warning either....
oka good i just wanted to make sure that they didnt mess up a sensor when they were installing them, i really appreciate the help thank you once again
Old 03-01-06, 07:07 PM
ChrisM910
Driver

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Did your car have stock HIDs in the headlights? If so, then the Headlight ballasts wont have problems with the auto function.

I'd say if someone else installed the aftermarket bulbs... take it back
no i didnt have the stock hids
Old 03-01-06, 07:10 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ChrisM910
oka good i just wanted to make sure that they didnt mess up a sensor when they were installing them, i really appreciate the help thank you once again
No problem, good luck tomorrow.
Old 03-01-06, 07:12 PM
ChrisM910
Driver

thank you
Old 03-02-06, 07:48 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

if you go to online HID vendor sites, most of their instructions specifically tell you to turn off the auto headlight function, in order to avoid damaging the ballast with inadequate current during ignition. Just because some people have it working on "Auto" doesn't mean they are not damaging and shortening the lifespan of their ballast.
Old 03-02-06, 08:24 AM
lexnan
Driver School Candidate

No warning lights? Because your after market HID kit is not integrated to the computer system of the car. When you look at those ballasts, can you tell us what type they are? (Phillips, etc...).

Good luck. =)
Old 03-02-06, 10:10 AM
ChrisM910
Driver

well i went today and i told them what was going on and they took my car and disconnected all the wires and then connected them right back and now it works, they said that if it happens again there just going to replace the whole ballast and bulb, so lets see what happens this time around
Old 03-02-06, 10:49 AM
vicestan
Lead Lap

If it happens again, try running a ground wire directly to the ballast, or you dont even have to wait, do that and the ballast should work correctly. Also whos makes the ballast? phillips? hella? or some cheap company in korea/malaysia. If your ballast are not oem quality, chances are the capacitors inside are also of poor quality and thus tend to fail. And more importantly if your ballast are aftermarket then watch them closely with in the 1 year warrenty, since they tend to fail with in 1 year or shortly after.
Old 03-02-06, 11:23 AM
dainese954
Driver

Originally Posted by jlin101
if you go to online HID vendor sites, most of their instructions specifically tell you to turn off the auto headlight function, in order to avoid damaging the ballast with inadequate current during ignition. Just because some people have it working on "Auto" doesn't mean they are not damaging and shortening the lifespan of their ballast.
what if the kit i got is hooking directly to the battery? could i still leave it on auto?
Old 03-02-06, 11:25 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dainese954
what if the kit i got is hooking directly to the battery? could i still leave it on auto?
that's the way mine is...but I still prefer to manually turn them on/off, otherwise they come on when I start my car in the garage, stay on for 10 seconds, then switch off.

Did you get your kit figured out?
Old 03-02-06, 12:22 PM
dainese954
Driver

Originally Posted by bagwell
that's the way mine is...but I still prefer to manually turn them on/off, otherwise they come on when I start my car in the garage, stay on for 10 seconds, then switch off.

Did you get your kit figured out?
haha no not really i made a thread and no replies and searched nothing. but steve from xenondepot did agree to send me the rubber gromments so im jsut waiting on that before i install my kit. but hey where should i hook up the ground wire to? bagwell you're da man i wish there were more ppl like you in the forums
Old 03-02-06, 12:24 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dainese954
doesn't matter where it's connected as the entire electrical system is still interconnected, so the electrical drain at ignition is still there. I'm not an electrician or an expert on HID, I only know that multiple HID installation instructions warned about using automatic headlights and DRL's. If you look at IS, you will notice that the stereo does not come on for several seconds after ignition--I think that's for the same reason.
Old 03-02-06, 12:29 PM
dainese954
Driver

doesn't matter where it's connected as the entire electrical system is still interconnected, so the electrical drain at ignition is still there. I'm not an electrician or an expert on HID, I only know that multiple HID installation instructions warned about using automatic headlights and DRL's. If you look at IS, you will notice that the stereo does not come on for several seconds after ignition--I think that's for the same reason.
awsome good thing i know this before i put my kit. thanks jlin
Old 03-02-06, 03:00 PM
ChrisM910
Driver

so your saying just leave it off auto and whenever i need my lights to turn them on manually, and what if it happens again should i tell them to replace the ballast AND ground it

Quick Reply: problems with my HID's need help