IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How should I handle my Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-06, 01:13 PM
tdog09
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How should I handle my Dealer?

Sorry for the rant, but here's the issue!

I special ordered an IS350 w/Sport and Nav back in December. When he told me about the deposit($2,000), I asked if it was refundable. He said it was not bc of it being "specially" ordered, but did say if i didnt like that specific car i didnt have to take delivery and could get another IS of my liking. A few days later I spoke to him over the phone and told him to place the order, then gave him my credit info over the phone. I recieved an order sheet a week later with the details of my order (notice I did not sign one thing).

A lil over a month later I was having remorse about the color chosen, and called him about possibly changing the color (it was only special ordered bc I wanted BWB) to blue onyx. They have cars that are configured the way I wanted just not any BWB). He first gave me a razzle dazzle about not being able to change the order, then I reminded him about our "not having to take delivery" conversation. He then came back saying he had a blck/blck, knowing that was not what I wanted, then said "you might as well wait for yours, bc Lexus stopped producing the car for the winter". I promptly said "well let me know about what you get in" and hung up.

Now we all know that is some major BS. 1 week ago I emailed him asking about the status of my order as I have not heard a single thing from him, and stating my disbelief about the car not being produced during the winter. He has not responded yet, but did respond to my friend who emailed him about the 250 within 10 mins.
I'm starting to get very now and was wondering what all your opinions are on the matter.
Thanks!
Old 03-01-06, 01:15 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I dont think they are legally able to keep your deposit, most dealers just say its non refundable but they have no law that says they can if they wanted to keep it
Old 03-01-06, 01:27 PM
Lem144
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
I dont think they are legally able to keep your deposit, most dealers just say its non refundable but they have no law that says they can if they wanted to keep it
It totally depends on the State. I know in MA they can keep a deposit. I looked it up on the Atty General's page. In CA they can't keep a deposit. Just depends on the state.

But, he didn't sign anything, he could call his credit card company and have the charge removed. Just don't deal with that dealer again. Ha.
Old 03-01-06, 01:28 PM
carlmock
Rookie

did you give him a check/cash or a credit card? If you did a credit card as your down payment then just put a hold on the transaction. That should wake the dealer up real quick..

Some cards offer better protection than others so its best to call them first to see what they can do..
Old 03-01-06, 01:35 PM
Langdell
Driver

I would start with a call to the sales or general manager. I take it you have been dealing with only one particular salesman. Some are better than others. If the manager is interested in having the dealership keep your business and avoid legal trouble, he may try harder to either get you your car or refund your money.
Old 03-01-06, 01:53 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

(1) they can't change orders once they're int he system. (2) the dealer basically loses 1 car for each they have to special order until it comes in. So they are likely not happy to submit a new order, and wait further. I suggest you either take the original car as ordered, or take what they have available in allocation.
Old 03-01-06, 01:59 PM
tdog09
Driver

Originally Posted by carlmock
did you give him a check/cash or a credit card?

It was a credit card, and they charged it immediatly. I've already paid the bill.

Last edited by tdog09; 03-01-06 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-01-06, 02:07 PM
tdog09
Driver

Originally Posted by TimboIS
(1) they can't change orders once they're int he system. (2) the dealer basically loses 1 car for each they have to special order until it comes in. So they are likely not happy to submit a new order, and wait further. I suggest you either take the original car as ordered, or take what they have available in allocation.

I'm not so annoyed with the color, as i'm flexible with that now. I'm annoyed with how he's treating me. Thought the experience would be better with Lexus.
Old 03-01-06, 02:10 PM
Langdell
Driver

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Tough for them. That kind of thing is just a fact of doing business. The fact that it might be less convenient for the dealer does not mean that a customer shelling out $40K+ of his hard-earned money should settle for something less than he wants. That's capitalism.
Old 03-01-06, 02:11 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tdog09
I'm not so annoyed with the color, as i'm flexible with that now. I'm annoyed with how he's treating me. Thought the experience would be better with Lexus.
I still have trouble understanding how people think like this (ok, ok, so all the marketing in the world goes towards creating it), but:

Lexus = the car manufacturer in Japan that designs and builds cars
Lexus Dealer = some place down the road that happens to sell the cars built by Lexus. They may or may not decide to adhere to the standards of conduct and quality that Lexus would like them to. If they're being a pain in the ***, try another dealer.
Old 03-01-06, 02:53 PM
fatts
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tdog09
Sorry for the rant, but here's the issue!

I special ordered an IS350 w/Sport and Nav back in December. When he told me about the deposit($2,000), I asked if it was refundable. He said it was not bc of it being "specially" ordered, but did say if i didnt like that specific car i didnt have to take delivery and could get another IS of my liking. A few days later I spoke to him over the phone and told him to place the order, then gave him my credit info over the phone. I recieved an order sheet a week later with the details of my order (notice I did not sign one thing).

A lil over a month later I was having remorse about the color chosen, and called him about possibly changing the color (it was only special ordered bc I wanted BWB) to blue onyx. They have cars that are configured the way I wanted just not any BWB). He first gave me a razzle dazzle about not being able to change the order, then I reminded him about our "not having to take delivery" conversation. He then came back saying he had a blck/blck, knowing that was not what I wanted, then said "you might as well wait for yours, bc Lexus stopped producing the car for the winter". I promptly said "well let me know about what you get in" and hung up.

Now we all know that is some major BS. 1 week ago I emailed him asking about the status of my order as I have not heard a single thing from him, and stating my disbelief about the car not being produced during the winter. He has not responded yet, but did respond to my friend who emailed him about the 250 within 10 mins.
I'm starting to get very now and was wondering what all your opinions are on the matter.
Thanks!

Just out of curiosity did you go to McDermott Lexus?
Old 03-01-06, 05:05 PM
tdog09
Driver

Originally Posted by heffergm
I still have trouble understanding how people think like this (ok, ok, so all the marketing in the world goes towards creating it), but:

Lexus = the car manufacturer in Japan that designs and builds cars
Lexus Dealer = some place down the road that happens to sell the cars built by Lexus. They may or may not decide to adhere to the standards of conduct and quality that Lexus would like them to. If they're being a pain in the ***, try another dealer.

As many Lexus Dealers as I've been too, and I'm sure others can agree, the Lexus Dealers pride themselves in the fact that they sell Lexus. They might not be the manufacturer themselves, but they represent them. If they want to treat their customers like dirt, that's cool, they have every right, but if that's the case, don't act all pristiegous and pride yourself to giving a excellent experience, which is what they all do.
Old 03-01-06, 05:06 PM
tdog09
Driver

Originally Posted by fatts
Just out of curiosity did you go to McDermott Lexus?
No, this is Lexus of Greenwich. Why, did u have a bad experience there?
Old 03-01-06, 05:41 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, $2k deposit. My dealer said $500 dollars is standard Lexus deposit. Hmmmmm,
Maybe if I had put down $2k, my car would get here faster?

The dealer said they couldn't make a living at keeping customers deposits. Just good business, to make it refundable.
I'm sure they can sell the original car you ordered. I would just be prepared to wait 4 months for a new order, or go elsewhere and submit an order. and be prepared to wait. Like TimboIS said, once its submitted after the 20th, you probably have to wait for next months 20th for the 'new' order placed. good luck with that
Old 03-01-06, 05:56 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

tdog09,

Sorry to hear of your mistreatment.

I don't know for certain if deposits are refudable in your state or not. It definately is in California, no questions asked. Please check around and verify for your peace of mind.

Here is what I suggest:
The dealer should have NO problem selling your Sport w/ navi car. It's a highly desired package from what I hear. It's true Lexus Japan shuts down production in late Dec until after new year's. Now that it's Mar 1st, you are in the middle of your car being built.

Yes the salesperson is being rude and I would have changed your order to make you a happy customer. In the end you are the customer and you're dropping a big chunk of money on the table. Although to be fair, salespeople deal with a lot of negativity. I've been given my fair share of crap over the years. Special orders are a lot of work to track and it's better to know for absolutely certain what you want. Doing thorough research is definately the key.

Chain of command:
Contact the sales manager and explain your situation. Next is the general sales manager then the general manager. Try to go in and talk with them in person if you can. Face time seems to work out better imo.
I would definately ask for another salesperson to be assigned. Ask one of those bosses to recommend one to you. It's the salesperson who was rude, not the entire dealership.

If you are okay with the original order I would take it, otherwise they have to start from scratch and you have to wait another 90-120 days from now.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Quick Reply: How should I handle my Dealer?