IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Where to find a bra just for trips

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-06, 10:15 AM
is2fiddy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to find a bra just for trips

I am taking a little trip and I can't afford a clear bra now so I think a regular bra (black ugly bras) would work just fine. I would only use it for this trip until I can get a nice clear bra. Anyone know where to get one.
Old 02-27-06, 10:18 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Colgan is a good standard for custom car bras, but they haven't made one yet. If they haven't made one, I don't think anyone else has...
Old 02-27-06, 10:19 AM
dainese954
Driver

yea i would like to know also i live in louisiana and the bugs are comming soon so i would love to put a leather bra on my blk/blk
Old 02-27-06, 01:06 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good idea. if there is a low cost method and it's disposable, i'm all for it.
Old 02-27-06, 01:13 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

tape up the front of your car with blue masking tape, people that compete in car shows actually tape up the whole front of the car with a blue masking tape
Old 02-27-06, 01:15 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
tape up the front of your car with blue masking tape, people that compete in car shows actually tape up the whole front of the car with a blue masking tape
Klassy... That says "No, I can't afford a clear bra, because all my money goes into car payments and chrome wheels..."
Old 02-27-06, 01:37 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Klassy... That says "No, I can't afford a clear bra, because all my money goes into car payments and chrome wheels..."
So says you. I roll my cars every three years... paying $500-800 for a clear bra install makes zero sense.
Old 02-27-06, 04:19 PM
LexAppeal
Rookie

Can you get a clear bra installed at the dealer? I will be purchasing my IS soon and I drive alot on the highway for work and this may be an option I may need.
Old 02-27-06, 04:32 PM
stangd1909
Lead Lap

I seen this method done alot.......it works great!
Old 02-27-06, 04:58 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Using the tape method wouldn’t it leave a sticky residue from the adhesive?? That would suck if someone taped their entire front end and it would leave a sticky residue from the tape when taken off. That would be a NIGHTMARE for me.
Old 02-27-06, 05:58 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Do a search for "Lexus IS 350 clear bras" on Ebay. There's a company called PPF Pros, that sell a clear bra kit for $175.00 for a 3M, 8 mm kit.
Old 02-27-06, 08:54 PM
stangd1909
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Using the tape method wouldn’t it leave a sticky residue from the adhesive?? That would suck if someone taped their entire front end and it would leave a sticky residue from the tape when taken off. That would be a NIGHTMARE for me.

The blue painters tape leaves no sticky residue. I have used it a few time and it works great!
Old 02-28-06, 03:20 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by heffergm
So says you. I roll my cars every three years... paying $500-800 for a clear bra install makes zero sense.
Zero sense for you perhaps. Personally, I hate seeing nicks and chips on the hoods and bumpers of my cars. I can think of nothing worse that a chip on the hood of a brand new car. My "recent" experiences with that were on a `99 GS300 and an `02 SC430. Thankfully that doesn't happen anymore to me (on my `04 SC430, `04GX470, and `05.5 A4) because I had clear bras installed on every one of them. [If you noticed, I too tend to change cars every three years, or so.] For me, the peace of mind (and a smooth and shiny front end)is more than worth the investment of a clear bra.
Old 02-28-06, 03:22 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexAppeal
Can you get a clear bra installed at the dealer? I will be purchasing my IS soon and I drive alot on the highway for work and this may be an option I may need.
A lot of car dealers are offering this option. I purchase my Lexus cars from Lexus of Silver Spring and was told recently by one of the service staff that they now install clear bras there. You may want to check them out.
Old 02-28-06, 04:42 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I guess if someone were leasing...

for 3 years and didn't want any extra expense of protection for the long term. Clear Bras are the latest of a history of protective ideas and insurances. When I got my wife a Black RX300 there was a ding insurance policy that was available. I passed as I know the vendors and could have them work on my car anytime. Wouldn't you know my wife passed through a freak hail storm about the 3rd day of driving and put about 6 craters into the roof sheet metal and hood! Her front hood has quite a few pock marks from highway gravel now at 94,000 miles. The next Lexus will definitely get the Clear Bra as it eliminates the most common sign of age on the car. If you finance the car then the increase in payment is less than $20 a month for 60 months. It might be $25-30 month in a lease payment and unless you were going to purchase out at the end the benefit might be enjoyed by the next owner. There is a great variance in the art of installing clear bras which is a wet process and must be done rather swiftly or it starts to dry. Some will stretch the material to make it cover a round surface. The use of an Xacto knife near the paint surface must be done with care.. I don't recommend that the average Lexus owner do this themselves unless they just want to cover the headlights or a small area. It definitely takes practice. Once the application becomes more commonlplace the price should start to come down due to competitive pressure. Lexus is starting to offer their own version and many stores are training the detail crew to do the installs instead of a vendor. Quality of install will vary greatly as a result...

The old bra idea is dying out and the cost is quite high unless a pool of owners on Club Lexus made a group buy or shared a bra and FEDEX it to the other when needed but that would have its own hassles.

Rock

Quick Reply: Where to find a bra just for trips