IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

where do you put your keys..

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-06, 09:34 AM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

This is the perfect car for a guy. You can put the fob in your pocket in the morning and leave it there. I unfortunately rarely wear clothes with pockets. Yesterday it was pretty neat to wear shorts with pockets to the gym and upon leaving walked right up to the car opened the door, started the car, and left with fob still in my pocket. I then said to myself....what a perfect car for a guy.

I just leave the fob in the passenger seat when I don't have pockets. There is not much space for things in this car. The center console is pretty small.

Did you all get leather sleeves to put your fobs in? I thought the clear plastic side where they have the "paper" that says Lexus was pretty cheesy. They could have left that side all leather with Lexus stitched on it.
Old 02-26-06, 09:39 AM
dfw350
Lead Lap

yeah i got the sleeve but i think its a bit big for my liking
Old 02-26-06, 11:38 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kensteele
You can lock up the remote inside the car if you use a second remote from the outside of the car.
Interesting, I didn't know this, have you done it before? I'd have thought the transmitter from inside would prevent lockage, but I suppose if the car reads a 2nd transmitter from outside the car, it will prioritize to that.
Old 02-26-06, 11:40 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by is4me2
I thought the clear plastic side where they have the "paper" that says Lexus was pretty cheesy. They could have left that side all leather with Lexus stitched on it.
Yeah, I pulled mine out. It looks better with nothing there! Figure if I EVER valet the car I'd rather just tell he/she how to start and park the engine...
Old 02-26-06, 11:41 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ChrisM910
that is odd there is a button on the door handel that if you press it, it locks all the doors
Why odd? I think it's beneficial.
Old 02-26-06, 12:32 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES3
Interesting, I didn't know this, have you done it before? I'd have thought the transmitter from inside would prevent lockage, but I suppose if the car reads a 2nd transmitter from outside the car, it will prioritize to that.
yep i tried it. works as i described...which makes sense since you're not actually going to lock yourself out.

incidently, this whole remote thing is so so convenienct, i'm packing to catch a plane right now and i have already packed away my remote within my luggage...how convenient.
Old 02-26-06, 12:37 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kensteele
yep i tried it. works as i described...which makes sense since you're not actually going to lock yourself out.

incidently, this whole remote thing is so so convenienct, i'm packing to catch a plane right now and i have already packed away my remote within my luggage...how convenient.
Very cool... also for what it's worth, someone else here had suggested taking the battery out of the 2nd remote, to save the juice so that both don't die at the same time. Page 293 (I believe) in the manual walks you through the process. Not a bad idea, that or just buy a few extra batteries so you're ready to go.
Old 02-26-06, 12:46 PM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ES3
Yeah, I pulled mine out. It looks better with nothing there! Figure if I EVER valet the car I'd rather just tell he/she how to start and park the engine...

I just went one step further. Pulled out the paper, then cut out the black felt and now it is clear plastic and the nice lexus logo on the fob shows through.
Old 02-26-06, 12:48 PM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

Originally Posted by ES3
Very cool... also for what it's worth, someone else here had suggested taking the battery out of the 2nd remote, to save the juice so that both don't die at the same time. Page 293 (I believe) in the manual walks you through the process. Not a bad idea, that or just buy a few extra batteries so you're ready to go.

I made the car dealer give me a spare battery when I picked up the car Friday and order me a sunshield.
Old 02-26-06, 01:30 PM
dfw350
Lead Lap

why dont you just keep 2nd remote at home somewhere away from car so the battery doesnt die..
Old 02-26-06, 05:19 PM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

i played tennis yesterday and i forgot i put my key in my tennis bag. i opened the trunk when i got back to my car (just by pushing the button underneath the trunk lid) and i put my bag in the trunk. i closed the trunk and the car yelled at me. it either made a long beep or beeped a couple times, i forget.

"hey a$$hole! you put the key in the trunk!'

pretty neat.
Old 02-26-06, 08:20 PM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by brewkp4
My keys and phone for that matter never leave my pocket (because of bluetooth)...I love it
I agree...I never have to check every pocket to look for my phone.
Old 02-26-06, 09:39 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dfw350
why dont you just keep 2nd remote at home somewhere away from car so the battery doesnt die..

I think the transmitter in the key fob, by default, is always sending a signal out. Unless the battery is pulled out. I could be wrong, is it instead the car that's always sending a sig out? Or both?

BTW, is4me2, how much is the sun shield? Does Lexus make one?
Old 02-26-06, 09:51 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
I think the transmitter in the key fob, by default, is always sending a signal out. Unless the battery is pulled out. I could be wrong, is it instead the car that's always sending a sig out? Or both?
I believe the car sends a signal out every few seconds. If they key is in range, it responds by transmitting a return blip. There is a little red light on the key fob that shows when it is transmitting. Keep an eye on that light as you approach the car and you'll see what I mean.

Even though the fob only transmits when it gets a blip from the car, I'd expect that it is drawing a bit of power looking for it.
Old 02-26-06, 11:56 PM
lxlplaylxl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gshb
in my mouth
in his mouth.