IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

where do you put your keys..

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-06, 09:05 PM
dfw350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Inside breast pocket of my jacket/coat, or in my messenger bag. Never liked keys in my pant pocket (too much bulges already there ) and I don't like keeping it inside the cupholders in fear of forgetting them there.
sounds like me, i am afraid ill just press stop and walk off thinking all is jolly one of these days.
Old 02-25-06, 09:08 PM
Sv.Tequila
Driver

Inside breast pocket of my jacket/coat, or in my messenger bag. Never liked keys in my pant pocket (too much bulges already there ) and I don't like keeping it inside the cupholders in fear of forgetting them there.

U dirty old man! lol
Old 02-25-06, 09:19 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was talking about my wallet... hehe...
Old 02-25-06, 09:34 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you always lock your door when you leave your car, you can forget the remote in the cupholder.
Old 02-25-06, 09:42 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
No other car on the market that I am aware of will lock the doors by themselves (unless you are standing on the outside, unlock the door with a remote, and then fail to open the door within a certain time period).

Thinking about it seriously, maybe it's not so bad an idea to have a [non-default] setting that you could activate where you have your doors lock automatically 10 seconds upon closing the driver's door as long as the remote is on the outside of the car. Audible tones could acknowledge.....
So the 2IS locks on its own? I always pressed the lock button on the remote when i get out of the car.
Old 02-25-06, 09:45 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MatadorIS
Just press the button on the driver's door handle to lock the doors.
That's what I do to! Keys never leave my pocket all day!
Old 02-25-06, 09:46 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
So the 2IS locks on its own? I always pressed the lock button on the remote when i get out of the car.
Why not just hit the lock button on the inside of the door before you shut it, or tap the door handle button to lock it, once you're outside of the car.
Old 02-25-06, 09:56 PM
jigster
Driver School Candidate

So its possible to lock the smart access key in the car?

I was checking out the RL and if the key is left inside it wouldnt lock, and if its put in the trunk, the trunk pops open everytime you try to close it. So i take it that the doesnt have that?
Old 02-25-06, 10:04 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jigster
So its possible to lock the smart access key in the car?

I was checking out the RL and if the key is left inside it wouldnt lock, and if its put in the trunk, the trunk pops open everytime you try to close it. So i take it that the doesnt have that?
As long as the battery on your transmitter is in decent shape, the answer to your question is no, it is NOT possible to lock the key in your car. Go try it, you can hit the lock button on the door, shut the door and 1 second later all the doors will unlock. Try hitting the outside door handle button to lock the door when the key inside and same thing happens. Again the ONLY problem I could see is if your transmitter battery is running low and the system doesn't detect a key remains inside.
Old 02-25-06, 10:11 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Sorry I should have said "No car on the market including the IS that I am aware of will lock the doors by themselves (unless you are standing on the outside, unlock the door with a remote, and then fail to open the door within a certain time period)."
Old 02-25-06, 10:13 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES3
As long as the battery on your transmitter is in decent shape, the answer to your question is no, it is NOT possible to lock the key in your car. Go try it, you can hit the lock button on the door, shut the door and 1 second later all the doors will unlock. Try hitting the outside door handle button to lock the door when the key inside and same thing happens. Again the ONLY problem I could see is if your transmitter battery is running low and the system doesn't detect a key remains inside.
You can lock up the remote inside the car if you use a second remote from the outside of the car. Probably rare that you would want to do this but if you are the primary driver and you keep one remote to yourself, you might leave the second remote in the car [permanently] for the other 3 drivers in the household to share.
Old 02-26-06, 07:00 AM
ChrisM910
Driver

Originally Posted by y2ks2k
Maybe I havent figured this out yet but I hate having them in my pckket becasue when I get out of the car, I have to pull the keys out to lock it!!! Note: My Is does not lock the doors by itself, is that odd?
that is odd there is a button on the door handel that if you press it, it locks all the doors
Old 02-26-06, 07:11 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default You need to touch the lock button on the door handle....

but do not put your hand inside the handle as that is the unlock method. Just poke the button with your finger and you will hear the confirmation beep. You cannot leave another remote inside the car and lock it with the other FOB as you will get a long tone and the car will not lock. It is protecting you from lockout. You could lock the door with the cap removed from the handle using the metal key while a remote FOB is inside but that is an unlikely scenario.

Enjoy exploring the IS world of wonder...

Rock
Old 02-26-06, 07:53 AM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

In my jacket pocket, my backpack or the center console. Does take some getting used to.
Old 02-26-06, 08:24 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rockville
You cannot leave another remote inside the car and lock it with the other FOB as you will get a long tone and the car will not lock. It is protecting you from lockout.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. When you leave the first remote inside the car, you have use the LOCK button on the second remote to lock the doors. The doors will lock with the first remote sitting on the seat, it works I just tried it on my car. Funny thing is now you cannot open the door simply by putting your hand inside the door handle, even when you have the second remote in your pocket. You must use the UNLOCK button on the second remote.

Quick Reply: where do you put your keys..