IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is350 in the auto wash!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-06, 11:27 AM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is350 in the auto wash!

Wow... I’m so impressed that I had to post on it.. even though it is a trivial matter.

The IS350 is the best auto car wash car that I have ever owned. I took it through the car wash for the first time the other day and they did my normal dry off maneuver that included quickly hitting the freeway and attempting to travel at about 80 for a few miles while to dry it off (I’ve always imagined explaining to a copper why I was pulled over for doing 80 after a car wash).

I got to my destination shortly after and was amazed. With the exception of a little water on the rear end (usually there’s a ton).. the things was strait up dry... not on damn drop of water.

The cars design is such that water does not accumulate in a given spot (aerodynamically)! Makes me wonder if its drag is really low.

Not only that but the auto washer completely cleaned the rear wheels and did a decent job of getting the front (front would need a manual clean). The side mirrors didn’t get touched (bad) and there was some residual dirt on the windows but other then that.. flawless wash.

Man.. I love it!
Old 02-24-06, 11:43 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by y2ks2k
Man.. I love it!
ME TOO!
Old 02-24-06, 12:14 PM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just run mine through an auto was for the first time today, usually hand wash and I know what you mean. To help with the mirrors I turn them in before going into the wash. Had to clean the front rims when I got home though but most of the pollen and dust came off the car.
Old 02-24-06, 12:38 PM
dainese954
Driver

did yall's leave water spots after it dried? my blk/blk did
Old 02-24-06, 12:39 PM
SPEED&ECO.
Lead Lap

Personally i would Never take my car to the auto wash, think about the left over dust, oils, and whatever that is washed off the other cars. I've had bad experiences with the auto wash i got some pretty bad hair scratches from auto wash on my parents old benz.

-speed-
Old 02-24-06, 12:43 PM
dainese954
Driver

i just use the high pressure sprays not the touching kind
Old 02-24-06, 12:43 PM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dainese954
did yall's leave water spots after it dried? my blk/blk did
Mine does...I took it to a hand car wash place I made sure it was a hand wash and not machines. They even used presurrized air blower to blow water out of the panels but it still left a water spot underneath the side mirrors...although very minimul compared to my old celica.
Old 02-24-06, 12:45 PM
dainese954
Driver

Originally Posted by r6z9r
Mine does...I took it to a hand car wash place I made sure it was a hand wash and not machines. They even used presurrized air blower to blow water out of the panels but it still left a water spot underneath the side mirrors...although very minimul compared to my old celica.
cool kuz i felt dumb for a sec. thought i was doing it all wrong haha well thanks for the comfirmation.
Old 02-24-06, 01:22 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by y2ks2k
. the things was strait up dry... not on damn drop of water.
Open and close the window. I find it takes about 24 hours after washing the car before you can open/close the window and not have it come up wet. Not a biggie.
Old 02-24-06, 04:22 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SPEED&ECO.
Personally i would Never take my car to the auto wash, think about the left over dust, oils, and whatever that is washed off the other cars. I've had bad experiences with the auto wash i got some pretty bad hair scratches from auto wash on my parents old benz.

-speed-

+1, IMO the time saved is not worth the damage from those things. An old beater sure, but not my baby!
Old 02-25-06, 05:05 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never take my car to a car wash. Nothing beats a hand detail job. I used to work at a car wash way back. Some of those machines can be real harsh on your car, even the brushless ones.
Old 02-25-06, 11:04 AM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Open and close the window. I find it takes about 24 hours after washing the car before you can open/close the window and not have it come up wet. Not a biggie.
A little trick I do after washing my car is roll down the windows and run a towel around all the moldings and jams that hold the window in place. This helps to dry them out faster so you don't get mess them up when you roll them down a day later.

As for the Auto Wash I only go through the touch free ones. I had some water spots left on the deck lid when the water dryed, but most of the construction dust on pollen was off my car. Sundays it gets her weekly bath and vac.
Old 02-25-06, 11:12 AM
ZOOBS350
Driver School Candidate

nice to know our cars don't hold water in cracks/crevices. i used to wash my friends IS300 all the time and there was always a lot of hidden water after drying..especially the trunk area.

as far as auto car washes go, i don't think you could pay me to put my black/black through one. i've learned my lesson after my previous nighhawk black 3.2 CL.

SWIRLS SWIRLS SWIRRRRRRLS
(and yay for my 1st post)
Old 02-25-06, 11:12 AM
Morrissey
Driver

I would assume that touchless would be fine, no? I usually go to one once a week. It's a very clean touchless wash so I don't have to worry about oil, debree, etc somehow getting on my car during the wash.

It's not a flawless cleaning job but it gets the job done. I usually just give my car a nice spray and wipe detail with some microfiber towels and the car looks pretty nice.

I never thought a touchless would be bad for your car though...it's just pressurized water??
Old 02-25-06, 11:25 AM
ZOOBS350
Driver School Candidate

i guess touchelss is harmless...its just that if i want my car clean then i usually do a wash/quick wax

i wouldnt do the quick detail spray after just a touchless wash though...a toucheless won't get rid of contaminants and other crap thats on your cars paint...and you dont wanna trap them under a quick detail coat

correct me if im wrong

Quick Reply: Is350 in the auto wash!