IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is350 in the auto wash!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-06, 12:18 PM
DanIS350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with the autowash

What do you guys do with the key and such? I've only taken mine to a touchless auto wash once (hand washed the other times) because I'm concerned about explaining how the car ignition system works.

Even worse, when I took the car to the auto wash that one time, I saw the guy sitting in my car for a few minutes before I finally approached to see if there was a problem. He looked up and saw me, then took the car to the drying area. When I got back in the car, he had changed the radio station to rap and left a big greasy fingerprint on the "FM" button. I couldn't believe it!

This guy had never seen a nav system before either, and apparantly took the opportunity of sitting in my car to acquaint himself with it.
Old 02-25-06, 12:40 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The place I go to knows how to use a keyless ignition. It's also company policy that you aren't allowed to adjust the seat, change the radio, etc. And they do everything in front of you. I have no fears giving my car to that carwash.

Originally Posted by ZOOBS350
nice to know our cars don't hold water in cracks/crevices. i used to wash my friends IS300 all the time and there was always a lot of hidden water after drying..especially the trunk area.
My ES300 is TERRIBLE with that. As soon as my car looks clean, I drive off and have to touch up the entire back end
Old 02-25-06, 12:57 PM
Langdell
Driver

I will be taking my baby through a touchless auto wash at least once a week. It may not be quite as good as careful handwashing, but it is better for the paint than letting dirt accumulate, which is what would happen if I always waited till I have time to handwash her. I have a job that keeps me busy and pays for things like a new Lexus.

In my experience, today's touchless car washes generally do a pretty good job with minimal (if any) harmful effects vs. handwashing. I feel that most people's prejudices against auto washes is a holdover from the old type that scrubbed one's car with gigantic toilet brushes. Most of these (at least in my area) have been replaced with touchless washes. My most recent two cars--one black, one dark blue--both got frequent touchless auto washes with no ill effects.

I did make the mistake of taking the blue one through an old brush wash once. She was filthy, I was crunched for time, and it was the only one at hand. I figured one time won't hurt, right? Wrong! Thousands of microscratches. Never again. A few times since then, I have actually paid for a car wash, assuming it would be touch free, and then demanded my money back after discovering that it was not.
Old 02-25-06, 02:18 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

The little flaps on the tail lights help a lot to. They steer the dirt away from the license plate area, its a great design.
Old 02-25-06, 03:24 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I go to the car wash all the time with no ill effects so far. As someone said early, I don't have time to wash the car myself, I'm comfortable with paying someone to do it.

None of the kids have had a problem figuring out how to start the car. The IS has a big "press me" right on the button where you would first look it you are looking for a key and whenever a car doesn't start, the first thing you do is press on the brake. I leave the remote (w/o the key) in the cup holder with the coins.
Old 02-25-06, 05:07 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Here is an interesting read on the debate between the two.

Here
Old 02-25-06, 09:33 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regarding water storage, I found a TON inside my gas cap a few days after a wash, it was down inside the rubber area, just inside the car, I now typically use a rag there right after the wash. Also lots of water in the side mirrors, someone suggested putting a towel around them and slapping the lights in toward the car, it actually pushes the water into the towel, works pretty well. If you have a compresser, that of course works wonders too!

Regarding types of wash on my black onyx, what a pain, I had Lexus do it once, hand wash, and I STILL noticed tiny micro-scratches. So then I did a few myself, in the bays at the car wash, high pressure wash, no sponge, used a micro-fibre towel to dry, seemed to do pretty well, but STILL a few tiny swirl marks. At the end of the day, I've come to the conclusion I'm going to have to buff it out at least once a year, or have it professionally done. I knew this would probably happen, but to me, having a clean black onyx makes it worth it... well kind of!

BTW, as far as the brake dust, I've had pretty good luck with Michelin's anti-brake dust coating, fyi.