IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 350 vs G35 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-06, 02:51 PM
LexFather

Please search under G35c or infiniti in the 2IS forum, we have discussed this many times before, thanks.
Old 02-24-06, 03:04 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS2Sav
yeah the is250 isnt fast at all...
EEK. I just checked the lexus.com page. I guess it isnt. 0-60 is in 8.3 with AWD and 7.9 with RWD, regardless of whether its manual or auto.... even my 92 SC400 could take it right out.

I mean the performance is good... but compared to other vehicles in the segment, I would NEVER take one over an IS350, whether awd is a factor or not.
Old 02-24-06, 03:13 PM
DirtySouth
Rookie

Originally Posted by bagwell
also keep in mind that Lexus' are going to retain their value a lot better than infiniti regardless of the year/model.
Originally Posted by sbkim
Lexus will no doubt be of higher quality than Infiniti
While I'm not saying you guys are wrong, I do think some of you are going a little overboard bashing the Infiniti. Look at any JD Power & Associates rankings and you'll see that Infiniti is very close to Lexus in quality. I would agree though, that the interior on the G35 coupe/sedan isn't that great, but as far as quality, they're both pretty darn close IMHO.
Old 02-24-06, 03:26 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

I own both a Lexus & Infiniti, & I can tell you quality in terms of reliability/electronics, Infiniti is right up there with Lexus if not equal. But in terms of build quality, workmanship, fit & finish, the Lexus is much superior inside & out. That's what you pay the price premium of the Lexus for.
Old 02-24-06, 03:40 PM
keeeeez
Pole Position

I had an 05 G35 6MT w/ Sports Package. Only mods I did was Z-tube and pop-charger, and a few cosmetic mods. Comparing the two 0-60 and faster, I would give the edge to the IS; but I gotta say, it was more fun (to me) driving the stick. Also, the sound of the G...so sweet.

But like I said, the IS is definately faster. I can't really speak for the coupe as I didn't own one and never drove one, but I would think that the IS is faster than the coupe also.

In terms of quality, people always say the Lexus has much better quality, I dunno about that. I pretty much loved everything about the G... there were some minor little things (squeeked near the driver side door - dealer fixed it, car ALWAYS drifted slightly to the right - for some reason this was normal....don't ask me why, i have no idea, I just KNOW this was normal).

In summary - the G35 is, in my opinion, more fun to drive if you can drive stick. It is also more roomy. There are more mod options because of the age of the vehicle. 07 or 08 will bring new G design which might bring even better performance. Even though you might see a lot of G's around - it's kinda like the IS with sports package, you DONT see alot of of G's with the sport tuned Suspension Package. G35 Sedan 6MT is more affordable than the comparable IS 350 w/ sport package (G35 -36,800 w/premium package and NAV vs IS350 w/sport package and NAV ~42,500).

The IS is quicker. Right now, there are far more fewer ISs on the Road (that should change quickly). Lexus owners and probably quite a few G35 owners would say that the IS is more luxurious, but that's subjective. The new IS exterior is more fresh than the G.
Old 02-24-06, 06:16 PM
bem0626
Driver School Candidate

I just traded a 04 G35 coupe in October and it was a great car. Comparing the IS to G35 is like comparing apples to oranges. The G35 is a 2-door true sports coupe with great handling and performance, whereas the IS is definately more luxury oriented with better amenities. The G35 tends to get a bad rap from BMW and Lexus owners, but I can't say anything negative about it. I put a little over 30k miles on it and had not one issue with the car...never returned to the dealer for anything other than maintenance. It retained 74% of it's value after 2 yrs and 32,000 miles when I traded it. My only advice is to drive both and pick what suits you best. They are entirely different cars...both of which have a lot to offer for the money.
Old 02-24-06, 06:25 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bem0626
I just traded a 04 G35 coupe in October and it was a great car. Comparing the IS to G35 is like comparing apples to oranges. The G35 is a 2-door true sports coupe with great handling and performance, whereas the IS is definately more luxury oriented with better amenities. The G35 tends to get a bad rap from BMW and Lexus owners, but I can't say anything negative about it. I put a little over 30k miles on it and had not one issue with the car...never returned to the dealer for anything other than maintenance. It retained 74% of it's value after 2 yrs and 32,000 miles when I traded it. My only advice is to drive both and pick what suits you best. They are entirely different cars...both of which have a lot to offer for the money.
cool, looks like you got your money's worth out of it.
Old 02-24-06, 06:37 PM
tjp
Rookie

I test drove G35C before I bought the IS350. I also did a lot of monitoring of some of the Infiniti forums. There were 2 things that I found unacceptable concerning the G35.
1. It seems that many G35's inheritted the tire feathering problem that the 350Z has.
2. Poor gas milage. Many were only getting milage in the mid to upper teens.

But the G35 manual is very fun to drive. The exhaust note is sweeeet.
Old 02-24-06, 06:43 PM
bem0626
Driver School Candidate

I never had an issue with tire feathering, but I did experience shorter than average tread life...only averaged about 16k per set of tires. As far as the exhaust note...it was sweet...I miss it! Had a deep V8 sounding note without being ricey. Some people think it's too prominent, but it was cool with me.
Old 02-24-06, 07:04 PM
casey225
Pole Position

I have never driven a G35, but a friend had one, it just seemed very confined inside and I was completely underwhelmed by the interior. I thought it looked kind of cheap. I have only test driven the 250, have not been able to get into a 350 yet, but, Lexus is much more luxurious.
Old 02-24-06, 10:33 PM
jinetix
Pole Position

my g35 coupe had no feathering issues at all.. but it did have other issues.

driver's side window motor failed (replaced under warranty)
rattling issue.. dealer fixed with some felt tape
oil leak found during first service

other than these few issues.. everything was great. it is luxurious compared to most vehicles out there.. but the interior is nothing special when compared to the IS. i actually hated how the interior was in the g35 coupe. i like the is350 much better.. but i kinda miss the 6mt.
Old 02-25-06, 04:01 AM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think both cars are pretty cool but right now the IS has the upper hand and the G35 is starting to look a bit outdated.... but according to Infiniti rumors, a G35 hardtop convertible should be coming out late this year, and THAT will be a HOT car , but then again, Lexus will probably release their hardtop convertible/coupe IS sometime next year and that should keep things interesting. The quality of Lexus materials is a lot better as well, but keep in mind that the Infiniti is a Nissan Baby Skyline "upgraded" to the US market; the Lexus was made a Lexus from the ground up. I would definitely wait and see what changes are done to the G35 and then base your final decision after test driving both cars.
Old 02-25-06, 04:12 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by IS2Sav
yeah the is250 isnt fast at all...
Isn't top speed for both IS250 and 350 around 140 mph? I believe the difference is the 350 just gets you there more quickly. Since most people will never take their car to the track, is it really a big deal to spend the extra cash.
Old 02-25-06, 04:23 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex350
I think both cars are pretty cool but right now the IS has the upper hand and the G35 is starting to look a bit outdated.... but according to Infiniti rumors, a G35 hardtop convertible should be coming out late this year, and THAT will be a HOT car , but then again, Lexus will probably release their hardtop convertible/coupe IS sometime next year and that should keep things interesting. The quality of Lexus materials is a lot better as well, but keep in mind that the Infiniti is a Nissan Baby Skyline "upgraded" to the US market; the Lexus was made a Lexus from the ground up. I would definitely wait and see what changes are done to the G35 and then base your final decision after test driving both cars.
Everyone has their own opinion but could you explain what characteristics signify outdated? So many people use this word and I want to know if there is any criteria for it. For me, a 57 chevy is clearly outdated because it was built before aero dynamic design was being used. It is heavy. No computer driven systems......I could go on and on. How is a car that is oly 3 years old outdated? I seriously want to know, not trying to cause trouble.
Old 02-25-06, 06:18 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

Originally Posted by reggiek
Isn't top speed for both IS250 and 350 around 140 mph? I believe the difference is the 350 just gets you there more quickly. Since most people will never take their car to the track, is it really a big deal to spend the extra cash.

The only reason why the 250 and 350 would have similar top speeds is due to electronic limitation... there is simply no way two cars with the same body, one with over 100 more hp and around 100 more tq wouldnt be significantly faster at high speed.

The comment that was made about the 250 not being fast refered to its acceleration.... it is literally 2.5-3 seconds slower 0-60 than the IS350. VERY big difference.

Quick Reply: IS 350 vs G35 Coupe