IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Nav System - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-06, 09:56 PM
Lexwang07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nav system only use for long trip! Some places, he or she never been that other states on USA! No many people used Nav system short distances area! But, many times nav system useful, and you're lost!
Old 02-23-06, 10:32 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

I'd suggest doing a search on the topic. No sense rehashing this topic again (and again and again ...) everytime a n00b asks. Maybe it could be in the FAQ.
Old 02-24-06, 12:28 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

personally i think the nav is very worth it. acura imho has the best nav system out there, but the new lexus one is right up there chomping at the bit. and yea the dash is ugly without the nav but thats just me.
Old 02-24-06, 02:52 PM
cricket1
Driver School Candidate

I initially had no intentions on getting the nav system. I basically drive my car back and forth to work and for short outings on the weekend, so I didn't see any need for it. BUT, the only way you can get bluetooth is with the nav system. AND my husband (who knows me all too well) told me that I would regret not getting nav. Of course I knew he was right. So, I forked over the extra $$. And I love it. Well worth it (esp. with bluetooth) and thank god no regrets.
Old 02-24-06, 04:18 PM
menech
Lead Lap

I just got my IS350 with Navi and this is the first navi system i've ever owned. I've been a die-hard map and maps.google.com user for years.

I must say that after a few weeks with navi its been great. Its nice to push in an address and just drive. I don't have numerous print outs sitting around in my car anymore, and its a nice feeling of security knowing I will never get lost.

For example, I was getting my windows tinted today and I just punched in the address and from there I could see it would take me 20 mins to get there, which highways I needed to take (so I could calculate traffic). It was much easier and more integrated than my previous steps of heading to maps.google.com, printing it out, having to remember to take the print out with me, etc...

Also the bluetooth is a great feature. In the past I've spent alot of money on various gadgets to enable hands free while in the car. With the bluetooth I just downloaded my phonebook directly into the car and that's all I needed. Now I don't miss calls since it mutes the radio.

Another great feature is the ability to dial a number directly from the address you enter into Navi. So for example we were driving around last night running errands and felt like stopping at a local chain restaurant. We put in the name as a POI (point of interest) and had the ability to call directly to the restaurant and put in for a reservation right away.

Anyway, if you get the Navi i’m sure you will make use of it. But if you find yourself driving 90% of the time on routes you drive everyday than you might be paying 2k+ for a touch screen AC system and glorified cell phone interface
Old 02-24-06, 07:53 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TimboIS
I'd suggest doing a search on the topic. No sense rehashing this topic again (and again and again ...) everytime a n00b asks. Maybe it could be in the FAQ.
With all due respect, I would suggest that you carefully read my question and do a search yourself before suggesting that this is rehash of "noob" question asked again and again. I was specifically interested in how fast the navigation system recalculated. Nonetheless, I appreciated hearing comments from others based on their experience with the IS nav system.

In any case, if it were a question that had been asked before, good manners would suggest that you find a more polite way to make your point, or better yet say nothing and simply skip to the next thread.
Old 02-24-06, 08:08 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

I just picked up my 350 at the end of December. This is my first vehicle with navi. I was contemplating whether to get it or not, but being the gadget junkie that I am, I would have regretted not having it. Now that I do have it, every chance I get, I put her to the test just to see how accurate the thing can be. And it's pretty damn accurate. If money's the issue, then maybe you can do without. Either way, you can't go wrong. It's a great car with or without it.
Old 02-24-06, 08:39 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation Aftermarket NAV?

Can you put in an aftermarket NAV system like the Pioneer AVIC-N3 or Z1 in place of the OEM one? Will it work?
Old 02-24-06, 08:46 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
Can you put in an aftermarket NAV system like the Pioneer AVIC-N3 or Z1 in place of the OEM one? Will it work?
one hell of a integration project, might as well get it from the factory
Old 02-24-06, 08:51 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
one hell of a integration project, might as well get it from the factory
Well, here in Canada you can't get the NAV with the sports package. It sucks here.
Old 02-24-06, 11:03 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

Well, here in Canada you can't get the NAV with the sports package. It sucks here.
It is kind of cold up there too! BRRRRRR!

As the original thread poster said he did ask how fast the NAV calculated new routes vis-a-vis the other NAV systems you may have used. It is faster that the one my mom has in her RX300, which isn't slow, but I never had a Garmin so I can't make that comparison.
Old 02-25-06, 05:08 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

If there's a will, there's a way. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. I work part time for Circuit City. We carry the Pioneer products and the AVIC N3 is quite impressive. For the money though, you might as well get the navi that comes with the car. An AVIC unit could set you back at least $1500 easy. For a little more, you can have the OEM unit and not have to do all the work of integrating.
Old 02-25-06, 07:24 AM
carlmock
Rookie

I think the "wow" factor alone is worth buying the NAV.. I have customers in my car all the time and they are impressed by doo dads and cool technology..Ill be getting the NAV come spring.
Old 02-25-06, 07:31 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ecr527
If there's a will, there's a way. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. I work part time for Circuit City. We carry the Pioneer products and the AVIC N3 is quite impressive. For the money though, you might as well get the navi that comes with the car. An AVIC unit could set you back at least $1500 easy. For a little more, you can have the OEM unit and not have to do all the work of integrating.
How would you control the heat/AC
Old 02-25-06, 07:35 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
How would you control the heat/AC
with the nav you control the AC with the touchscreen LCD

Quick Reply: Nav System - Worth it?