IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

"Wind" noise near door?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-06, 10:23 AM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Wind" noise near door?

I'm not sure if it's been there all this time or not, but after I had Lexus of Seattle fix the rattling noise inside the driver's side B-Pillar, I've noticed "wind" noise coming from what appears to be where the door closes next to the B-Pillar. It starts to be noticible at 60 MPH and around 70-75 MPH, it's very annoying. Note that there is no additional wind, weather-wise, when I've noticed it. And the radio/audio is off. With the radio/audio on, the "wind" noise is mostly muddled out but sometimes I do drive without the music playing.

Just curious if anyone else is experiencing or noticed "wind" noise at those speeds coming from the doors?

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 02-23-06, 10:54 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

yep, I noticed it just a very little bit but nothing like my 02 Tacoma which I cannot seem to find/fix.
Old 02-23-06, 11:46 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

might be some missing/loose weather stripping getting inside the body and making turbulance, its going to be hard to locate
Old 02-23-06, 12:43 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

one time my girl forgot to turn the cooler seat off and that was the time I thought I heard wind noise.

The seat cooler can be very noise very early in the morning.
Old 02-23-06, 01:05 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Originally Posted by bagwell
yep, I noticed it just a very little bit but nothing like my 02 Tacoma which I cannot seem to find/fix.
This sounds more like I've got the window open. (And it doesn't sound like the "drivetrain" harmonics thread that a person noticed at 60 MPH in the AWD).

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
might be some missing/loose weather stripping getting inside the body and making turbulance, its going to be hard to locate
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I'll try to locate it and fix it myself. If I can't, I'll probably have to take it in to the dealership. Reason why I haven't noticed it until now is primarily my driving on the freeways are during peak traffic hours. Lately, I've been able to get into a comfortable cruising speed between 60 and 80 MPH and started noticing the "pronounced" wind-noise. Even my old '99 Mitsubishi Galant ES V6 didn't have those noises on the freeway at those speeds.

Originally Posted by shaolin
one time my girl forgot to turn the cooler seat off and that was the time I thought I heard wind noise.

The seat cooler can be very noise very early in the morning.
Heh. I've got about oh... 6 more months before I get to use the cooler. It's ventilating heat right now through the seats and I know what it sounds like. Wind noise due to turbulence is pretty easy to spot.

--

Judging from the (lack of) responses, it seems that I definitely have some type of weather-stripping issue. Trust me, I'm not picky about the vehicle being quiet, but this is VERY pronounced wind-noise.

Thanks for the responses!

Cheers,
Kermee

Last edited by Kermee; 02-23-06 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Oops. Spelling/Grammar.
Old 02-23-06, 02:14 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kermee
Judging from the (lack of) responses, it seems that I definitely have some type of weather-stripping issue. Trust me, I'm not picking about the vehicle being quiet, but this is VERY pronounced wind-noise.
I hope you get it fixed. Mine does not have significant wind noise, and any Lexus with such a noise is out of the ordinary. Get it checked and get it fixed!
Old 02-23-06, 02:33 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

The problem with noises/rattles/etc that occur at high speeds or other conditions, for the dealer to replicate them they'll take your car out on the roughest roads, driving it at high speeds, etc. If you're unfortunate to have such an issue, be warned what they'll be doing to your vehicle. They usually fix squeaks and rattles by stuffing foam or newspaper behind panels, etc. My '02 IS had a squeak coming from the gauge cluster, after I got it back, I noticed this thick black foam tape under the bezel. It fixed the problem, but didn't look good up close.
Old 02-23-06, 05:14 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

I've noticed the same. Don't really notice it till you get up to speed (obviously) but at about 60 you start hearing the whoosing (not too loud) as if the window isn't sealed properly. I may have to say something about this.... and the fact that my sunglasses holder by the map lights won't close for @#$%
Old 02-24-06, 01:12 PM
Pocketlint
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the same issue on my 250AWD.. Let me know the diagnosis, Kermee.

Lint
Old 02-24-06, 01:38 PM
Kermee
Advanced

My 5,000 mile service is coming up. I'll probably make an appointment sometime next week for them to do the service. It's going to be hard to convince the tech that I'll end up riding with to get the car up to 80 MPH because the speed limits on the freeway are 60 MPH. At 60 MPH it's noticible but once you're at 80 MPH, it's very noticible.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 02-24-06, 01:41 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 5,000 mile service is coming up. I'll probably make an appointment sometime next week for them to do the service. It's going to be hard to convince the tech that I'll end up riding with to get the car up to 80 MPH because the speed limits on the freeway are 60 MPH. At 60 MPH it's noticible but once you're at 80 MPH, it's very noticible.

Cheers,
Kermee
Why don't you take the tech for a drive? You can do the drive and ask him to hear it.
Old 02-24-06, 06:36 PM
knox_sport
Driver

Default noticed it too

I noticed that same phenomenon when I test drove an IS back in December. It almost seemed like the rear window wasn't entirely closed.

There's a similar thread on lexusowners.uk, and in one situation a dealer was ordering a new seal for that rear window. I don't have the link to that thread, but here's the general link to the forum...

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/for...p?showforum=50

My guess is there's something going on during assembly. Good luck!
Old 02-24-06, 07:04 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

It's probably a result of where they put the key lock box. The windows and frames weren't meant for those to be jammed up there. With vehicles sitting on the lot, you'll likely have a detent where the box was.
Old 03-20-06, 04:28 PM
Benji668
Rookie

So did anyone have the wind noise issue solve? Cuz it happened to me when I reached up to 20 to 30 mph
Old 03-20-06, 06:17 PM
Black350
Rookie

I'm not sure if it's been there all this time or not, but after I had Lexus of Seattle fix the rattling noise inside the driver's side B-Pillar, I've noticed "wind" noise coming from what appears to be where the door closes next to the B-Pillar. It starts to be noticible at 60 MPH and around 70-75 MPH, it's very annoying. Note that there is no additional wind, weather-wise, when I've noticed it. And the radio/audio is off. With the radio/audio on, the "wind" noise is mostly muddled out but sometimes I do drive without the music playing.

Just curious if anyone else is experiencing or noticed "wind" noise at those speeds coming from the doors?

Cheers,
Kermee
Same here!

Quick Reply: "Wind" noise near door?