IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rattling....

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-06, 07:56 PM
vp911
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling....

[COMPLAINT] I went to drive my IS350 tonight and it made more noises than my TSX, TL and RL combined. I couldn't figure it out, it sounded like it was coming from the dash, but then all of a sudden from the roof. It was so loud that I could hear it over my music. I sure hope that it was a one time deal from the cold weather and that it will just go away in the morning. Any chance that is going to happen? Of course not, but still

[END COMPLAINT]
Old 02-19-06, 09:59 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the nice thing about a warranty on a new car is being able to call the dealer and have them fix it.
Old 02-19-06, 10:20 PM
WANT AN IS
Driver School Candidate

how many miles are on your car?
Old 02-19-06, 10:24 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

You must be in a very cold region and this must have occured recently. For cars built with minimum tolerance (in simple words, minimum body panel gaps), you have to remember that in winter when temperatures drop in cold regions, solids are bound to contract that cause some rattling temporarily. As soon as the temperatures rise up to a decent level, you will see the rattles will go away. The problem in Acuras are a different story since they rattle in all four seasons and are a big issue even in temperate climates.
Old 02-19-06, 11:09 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

my car is at the dealership because of that rattles. I am driving the RX they gave me and i sure do miss my IS350.
Old 02-20-06, 12:56 AM
vp911
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by WANT AN IS
how many miles are on your car?

Just over 900.

It was almost scary at first when I heard it because it really sounded like the car was falling apart. It wasn't just a little rattle, the entire car sounded like it was twisting and ready to fall apart. It is in the garage, so in the morning I will find out how it is.
Old 02-20-06, 05:39 AM
dnszoom
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
You must be in a very cold region and this must have occured recently. For cars built with minimum tolerance (in simple words, minimum body panel gaps), you have to remember that in winter when temperatures drop in cold regions, solids are bound to contract that cause some rattling temporarily. As soon as the temperatures rise up to a decent level, you will see the rattles will go away. The problem in Acuras are a different story since they rattle in all four seasons and are a big issue even in temperate climates.
Very valid point... my glovebox was a bit squeeky this morning (-10*C) but once the car warmed up, everything was fine.
Old 02-20-06, 09:01 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Behind my dash creeks every now and then, weird, sometimes the whole day nothing, not a sound,...It seems related to the heating up of the car on not too cold days. Sounds like plastic on plastic, like from a heat duct without the felt that is normally used to prevent rubbing.
Old 02-20-06, 10:09 AM
hppygllmr
Driver School Candidate

I'm also getting some rattles now. Our temps have been in the low 20's to low 30's depending on the time of day. It was all quiet until the temperature drops started. For now, I'll assume it's the weather.
Old 02-20-06, 11:29 AM
vp911
Pit Crew

After about 10 minutes when the car warmed up the rattles went away. Still very strange for Lexus.
Old 02-20-06, 11:39 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have rattles on my roof so.. but it doesn't bother me that much.
Old 02-20-06, 12:10 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

My rattle comes from the nav screen/vent area. It doesn't happen on warm days, and even on cold ones the noise stops once the cabin warms up. I figure if I ever get the bottle to try the nav hack, I'll take that opportunity to track down the noise.
Old 02-26-06, 07:20 PM
cincy_hyn
Driver School Candidate

Just got my IS 250... about a 100 miles on it. Anyone notice a rattle coming from what sounds like the passenger vent? Even my friend noticed it too! It happens when I hit an expansion joint on the free way and from the numerous potholes here in SW Ohio.

Also... anyone get a rattling coming from the drivers side grab handle bar?
Old 02-26-06, 07:33 PM
hashs99
Driver

Originally Posted by cincy_hyn
Just got my IS 250... about a 100 miles on it. Anyone notice a rattle coming from what sounds like the passenger vent? Even my friend noticed it too! It happens when I hit an expansion joint on the free way and from the numerous potholes here in SW Ohio.

Also... anyone get a rattling coming from the drivers side grab handle bar?
i got the one by the passenger vent (i also have the awd). It is coming from where the dash touches the windshield in the corner. I will have it checked out at the 5k service.
Old 02-26-06, 07:46 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hashs99
i got the one by the passenger vent (i also have the awd). It is coming from where the dash touches the windshield in the corner. I will have it checked out at the 5k service.
I too have the 250 AWD and "thought" I heard rattling near the passenger vent several days ago, but the outside temperatures were in the mid-20's. It's warmed up a bit and it's gone now.

Cheers,
Kermee

Quick Reply: Rattling....