IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Nav - Specific POI with Voice Command(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-06, 09:37 PM
tjmaxwell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav - Specific POI with Voice Command(s)?

Let's say you were driving along and you needed to locate a specific point of interest. Is it possible with a voice command? I know you can search for an address using voice commands, but what if you don't know the address and just want to find the nearest location?

For example, a few days ago I wanted to find the nearest Radio Shack store. Is there a way to do this while driving by using voice commands?

In another case, I needed to find a post office, so I said "post office" and the system displayed post office POI icons. Problem is, unless the post office is close to your location, you can't see it on the map. Is there any way to just locate the nearest post office (for example) using voice commands? Thanks!
Old 02-19-06, 09:52 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Say "Help" and a list of voice commands..

will appear on the screen. Push the POI button and the various POI command list will scroll by category. "Cinema" ( movie theater), "Ice Cream Parlor" ( Ben and Jerrys) and "Coffee House "(Starbucks) are just a sampling of the commands. It is a good idea to practice these until you get the timing down and a high rate of accuracy will be your reward. Temperature commands are an easy way to start. The factory default will have a prompt that says "say a command after the beep". You will quickly want to disable this. Go to Menu, Setup, scroll to page two and turn off "voice recognition guidance". Once you are able to get reasonable results from your efforts you can also use the Map View switch at the base of the map screen and then on to POI and you will see a little switch for "Local POI list' Now you can view a list sorted by distance of the POI you selected. Choose one from the list. The Map screen of that POI location comes up. Here is a scenario. You feel like some Pizza so you push the voice command switch and after the beep you say "Italian Food". It confirms your selection. Then you go to the Mapview and look up the POI, local POI list, you select GD Pizza Co., now it goes to that location, Look at the top of the screen and you will see a little "INFO" switch. Push it and the location information and telephone number will be displayed. Push the little green telephone icon and it will call the Pizza Co. phone number...."i'd like a large sausage and mushroom pizza, please." Now push the enter switch and you will begin to get directions guiding you there. After you do this a few times it will be very easy to find things in your local enviroment and utilize the 10,000,000 phone numbers of commercial locations. The phone number of a business can be used to enter in the destination on page 2 of the destination screen. It is easier to enter a phone number than an address so use it whenever possible.

Enjoy your Lexus and the Gen 5 Nav. system..

Rock
Old 02-20-06, 08:12 PM
rljones
Driver School Candidate

I was driving up and down California a couple of weeks ago and noticed when using POI for gas stations that some don't have unique symbols. I only use Mobil and was looking for a Mobil station. What I found was that while Chevron, 76 and Shell have their own symbols, Mobil had a generic gas station symbol. At first, I simply thought that there were only privately owned (true generic) stations.

Only after passing an offramp where I saw a Mobil and back-tracked to it did I figure out what was going on. (I'd never used it locally as I know where the Mobil stations are located.)

Any ideas why such a large oil company is missing? Is this something that can only be fixed with a updated disk? It would be nice to get a fix as this is a useful feature when traveling.

I realize that in various areas of the country, different companies have different names/symbols, so I don't know what other gas stations may be displayed as generic.
Old 02-20-06, 08:19 PM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rljones
I was driving up and down California a couple of weeks ago and noticed when using POI for gas stations that some don't have unique symbols. I only use Mobil and was looking for a Mobil station. What I found was that while Chevron, 76 and Shell have their own symbols, Mobil had a generic gas station symbol. At first, I simply thought that there were only privately owned (true generic) stations.

Only after passing an offramp where I saw a Mobil and back-tracked to it did I figure out what was going on. (I'd never used it locally as I know where the Mobil stations are located.)

Any ideas why such a large oil company is missing? Is this something that can only be fixed with a updated disk? It would be nice to get a fix as this is a useful feature when traveling.

I realize that in various areas of the country, different companies have different names/symbols, so I don't know what other gas stations may be displayed as generic.

i dont know if it was missed....but if i was desging at navigation software then i would try to get something out of those locations to logos..for example i would try to get gas companies to pay to get there logo for their locations....if so maybe Mobil didnt want to be included......i dont know if thats how it works...but thats what i would think....
Old 02-21-06, 05:13 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default Sunoco is merging with Mobil in our area...

and converting previously Mobil stations into Sunoco franchinses. Texaco/Shell did the same thing before. I was wondering how you would reduce the MOBIL brand logo to the small POI icon. That may be the real reason you don't see it. You can go to Mapview and POI and then POI list and it will tell you the names of the gas station franchises nearby and their respective phone numbers. You can push the icons on the screen and it will tell you about the generic stations also.

Rock
Old 02-21-06, 07:54 AM
rys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rljones
Trying not to hijack thread but, you know that the cleanest gas in Cali is Shell followed by 76/Chevron, Right?

-Brian
Old 02-23-06, 07:08 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default I should have mentioned that...

you can ask for the "nearest" POI. Then ask "showlist" Then select on the screen from the list. Ex. "Nearest Gas Station", again "Show list", The listing will tell you the brand of gas station and select the one you want, then touch the "Guide" button on the bottom of the screen or Map/voice will also initiate guidance.

Rock

Last edited by Rockville; 02-23-06 at 11:55 AM.