IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How to: change your oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-06, 09:30 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default nice write up with good photos...

Originally Posted by flipside909
For you IS350 owners, there is a different part number for that filter element on the 2GR-FSE 3.5L V6.
but the IS350 filter is different. At the end of the cartridge housing (can) there is a drain plug that is removed first and has its own seal to be replaced. The first oil change is free at 5,000 miles but this is a DIY task that can be satisfying. This has been beat to death in other threads but I encourage Mobil One or other synthetics as they have more range of temperature and don't tend to emulsify. Nice job Micah. Yeah, some ramps would make the job so much easier and safer. good pix too. Thanx.

Rock
Old 02-19-06, 01:28 PM
MicahIS250
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In the filter box they actually have directions that tell you exactly how to go about replacing the gaskets, it says on one side if you have a drain plug and the otherside if you don't, apparently the plastic thing is for the drain plug, your supposed to push one end into a hose and push the other end into the housing so it can drain without making a mess, and yeah the smaller gasket is used for the drain plug area on the filter housing on the IS350 as rock said. Thanks for clearing that up, I wasn't sure if the IS250 and IS350 were exactly the same process.

For me it did take the entire 6.6 quarts, but I initally only put in 6 to make sure there were no leaks and to be sure I didn't overfill it
Old 02-19-06, 05:40 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rockville
but the IS350 filter is different. At the end of the cartridge housing (can) there is a drain plug that is removed first and has its own seal to be replaced. The first oil change is free at 5,000 miles but this is a DIY task that can be satisfying. This has been beat to death in other threads but I encourage Mobil One or other synthetics as they have more range of temperature and don't tend to emulsify. Nice job Micah. Yeah, some ramps would make the job so much easier and safer. good pix too. Thanx.

Rock
The part # for the filter element kit for the IS 350 is #04152-31080. This kit includes instructions, an o-ring, and a filter element. That's all. The instructions include diagrams for a vertical mount (with bolt for drain) and horizontal mount (this is what is used on the 350). For the 350, 6.7 quarts are required when the filter & oil are changed.

I posted a thread over at my.is on the same topic. Some additional pictures are over there that show the filter housing and element w/ o-ring.
Old 02-19-06, 07:12 PM
Redpaste
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write-up and pictures! Please exercise caution when crawling underneath.
Old 05-24-06, 09:02 PM
shizmd
Driver School Candidate

Question

is anyone changing their oil or oil filter prior to the first 5k scheduled change? appreciate your input or guidance about break-in for our IS
Old 05-24-06, 09:14 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ahohnstein
dude. thanks for the pictures but goddamn I hope you're not jacking that car up and getting under it (like you said you were) on that loose soil. I had an idiotic uncle that did that with a motor home and the ground gave way and it crushed him to death. i hope you're jacking it up on solid level concrete.

Eeeks... somtimes I guess it is worth that few bucks to let someone change the oil.
Old 08-04-06, 02:04 PM
Duke02
Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
For you IS350 owners, there is a different part number for that filter element on the 2GR-FSE 3.5L V6.
Also for you 350 owners....just did my own oil change and wanted to share a piece of information. I had heard somewhere that the filter housing for the 350 had a bolt on the end which you could remove. You could then use the plastic plug that comes with the filter cartridge to drain the oil out of the housing. The instructions on the cartridge box said the same thing. However, no such bolt exists. The only way to drain the oil out of the filter housing is like the instructions say, lift the outer part of the canister up to let it drip.

Aside from my own equipment issues (my "7 1/4 quart" drain pan overflowed all over the place after only about 6 quarts drained), this change was a cinch.

Thanks for the great howto
Old 08-04-06, 09:31 PM
SportyStar
Driver

Originally Posted by Duke02
Also for you 350 owners....just did my own oil change and wanted to share a piece of information. I had heard somewhere that the filter housing for the 350 had a bolt on the end which you could remove. You could then use the plastic plug that comes with the filter cartridge to drain the oil out of the housing. The instructions on the cartridge box said the same thing. However, no such bolt exists. The only way to drain the oil out of the filter housing is like the instructions say, lift the outer part of the canister up to let it drip.

Aside from my own equipment issues (my "7 1/4 quart" drain pan overflowed all over the place after only about 6 quarts drained), this change was a cinch.

Thanks for the great howto
Duke02, thanks for the additional tips. I'll be doing my oil change in the next month or so. I was wondering whether the 350 was the "vertical mount with drain bolt" or "horizontal mount without drain bolt". The original poster's was the horizontal mount style, and his was a IS250 with 6MT RWD. Assuming all the RWDs are the horizontal mount/no drain bolt type, maybe it's the lucky IS250 AWD owners who actually get to use the little plastic tube to drain the oil out vertically.

Another piece of info. I thought I'd share: I bought an oil filter last year, OE #04152-31060. I recently bought another filter, and it appears Toyota/Lexus is now distributing that same filter under a new number: 04152-YZZA2. Filter dimensions and accessories (o-rings, plastic tube) are identical, except the new # is produced in Thailand, and the old # is made in Japan.

Last edited by SportyStar; 08-05-06 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-04-06, 10:01 PM
jc957
Rookie

Great write up. While I was getting the 5k service done, I asked the dealer what the 10k would cost. It was either $165 or $195...and I'm pretty sure it was the latter. I may be more inclined now to save myself a few bucks...thanks!!
Old 10-08-06, 09:22 PM
Tankdriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know what size (diameter in mm/and or # of flutes) does the filter housing take on a 06 IS 250??
Old 10-08-06, 09:35 PM
b3dlam
Driver

Originally Posted by Tankdriver
Does anyone know what size (diameter in mm/and or # of flutes) does the filter housing take on a 06 IS 250??
I read somewhere that it was 63mm with 14 flutes. I changed my oil at 3000 miles just as added precaution. As mentioned above, the part # for the IS250 oil filter element is 04152-31080. I bought this from the Lexus dealer.

edit: link on the oil filter housing dimensions: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=flutes
Old 11-14-06, 06:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts
Default Dispelling the Myths again

Here's a pic of the typical Toyota oil filter with part number. Above it is the typical Toyota filter wrench. It cost $5. This same filter wrench, advertised as a 65mm x 14 flutes, is clearly not exactly 65mm. Neither is the oil filter.

At any rate, if you buy the usual Toyota filter wrench - 65mm x 14 flutes - it will work just fine on your IS350. It did on mine for sure. And finding 5w-20 Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart was a bit of a challenge. Lots of stores had flags for it, few actually had any in stock. Most just had a single quart. At $5.96 a quart, it sure beats just about any of the really premium synthetics for price (and availability.)
Attached Thumbnails How to: change your oil-filter-wrench.jpg  
Old 11-14-06, 06:56 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

When did toyota start using internal filters? I always thought they had the mental canister outside the filter like in the post above.
Old 11-14-06, 11:37 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

is it 6 quarts or 6.7 quarts?
Old 11-15-06, 12:45 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Buy seven quarts. Six is not enough.

Quick Reply: How to: change your oil