IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

VSC - Check Engine: Excessive gas in Oil???

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-06, 02:22 PM
Dr C
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSC - Check Engine: Excessive gas in Oil???

Yesterday, the red triangle with the exclamation point came on along with the check engine light and a VSC picture. Dropped it off with the dealer immediately - within 5 minutes or so..

Today picked it up. Service advisor said it was a "ECM Malfunction. Excessive gas in oil. Lexus is aware of this concern. No known fix at this time. Changed Oil." (this is right from the warranty claim.

Anyone else had this happen?

Doesn't sound real good. Service advisor said that there would probably be a recall on it once Lexus figures out a fix for it.

Absolutely nothing unusual about my driving. Probably easier than most.
Old 02-18-06, 02:26 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dr C
Yesterday, the red triangle with the exclamation point came on along with the check engine light and a VSC picture. Dropped it off with the dealer immediately - within 5 minutes or so..

Today picked it up. Service advisor said it was a "ECM Malfunction. Excessive gas in oil. Lexus is aware of this concern. No known fix at this time. Changed Oil." (this is right from the warranty claim.

Anyone else had this happen?

Doesn't sound real good. Service advisor said that there would probably be a recall on it once Lexus figures out a fix for it.

Absolutely nothing unusual about my driving. Probably easier than most.

I don't remember if it was this site or another, but somebody recently had the exact same problem. Do a few searches and I think you'll find it. Keep us posted on the situation.
Old 02-18-06, 02:27 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how many miles did you have when it happened?
Old 02-18-06, 02:27 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

By the way, how many miles do you have now?
Old 02-18-06, 02:28 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kamikaze2b
By the way, how many miles do you have now?
beat you to it
Old 02-18-06, 02:32 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by car_lost
beat you to it
LOL, barely. I wonder if this is a problem only on the 250s?
Old 02-18-06, 02:53 PM
accelerate
Lead Lap

Also sounds like there could be engine damage from this when that happens.
Old 02-18-06, 03:07 PM
pinoychris
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

Same warning happened to me on thursday. Dropped it off yesterday (Friday). They said it was a Fuel Cap Pressure Sensor Error and then they said they'd fix it right away. I got my car back today and everything is fine.
Old 02-18-06, 04:58 PM
Dr C
Driver

I have about 1850 miles on it.

Everything seems to be OK since I picked it up but, even when the warning lights came on there was no discernible difference in the car.

I presume that they changed the oil as a precautionary measure. I doubt that I drove the car 10 minutes between the time that the warnings came on and when it was in the dealership (which was lucky).
Old 02-19-06, 05:43 AM
Dr C
Driver

Any one else have this or are there just a couple of us?
Old 02-21-06, 01:45 PM
mmaniaci
Driver School Candidate

I had the exact same thing happen to mine.... I started a post about it a while back... they did the same thing ( changed oil ) and told me the exact same thing ( ...no problems since but it still bothers Lexus is aware of this concern. No known fix at this time. Changed Oil. )

Definitely can't be good for the engine

Mike
Old 02-21-06, 04:55 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

There's a few posts about this floating around. Seems I remember someone w/ a GS having this same problem. Let's stay on top of this. As a matter of fact, when I picked my car up from tinting a few weeks back I had 'Check VSC' come on when I started up to leave. I shut the car off, restarted and haven't had it since. I thought it had something to do with the tint guys playing around w/ shutting off VSC/VDIM but maybe not. If I see it again I'll take it to the dealer and have the codes pulled.
Old 02-24-06, 10:51 PM
IS2Sav
Rookie

well guys i was one of the people that had this problem, first it happened at 250miles and now i hit 600 it happened again..
Same ol bull**** cel, check vsc, and red exclamation light came on. How ever took it to lexu s once again and they said that the ecu has a problem and throws a code when its started from a cold start. Supposedly they are lookin for a cure for this, but i dont believe it this is baloney.
Old 02-24-06, 11:57 PM
dang_is250
Driver School Candidate

Default same problem took it into the dealer

Dealer said that because the car is a direct fuel injected vehicle, fuel builds up in the oil over time. Usually, the fuel will burn when the car is at a nice operating temperature. However, if you take a lot of short trips and don't let the car reach operating temp. before shutting off the engine, fuel will build up. When the car detects fuel in the oil, it throws the CEL light. This explanation made sense to me. For the last month I have been taking many short trips as I drive 5 mi. each way to the bus stop to get to work in 10 degree CO weather. Anyways, I was wondering if anybody else who has been having this problem has been taking short trips in their IS.
Old 02-25-06, 07:31 AM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dang_is250
Dealer said that because the car is a direct fuel injected vehicle, fuel builds up in the oil over time. Usually, the fuel will burn when the car is at a nice operating temperature. However, if you take a lot of short trips and don't let the car reach operating temp. before shutting off the engine, fuel will build up. When the car detects fuel in the oil, it throws the CEL light. This explanation made sense to me. For the last month I have been taking many short trips as I drive 5 mi. each way to the bus stop to get to work in 10 degree CO weather. Anyways, I was wondering if anybody else who has been having this problem has been taking short trips in their IS.
Yes, 8 miles each way to work and back. most days I head out for a quick lunch. I'll have to keep that in mind. I've been checking the dash each time I start up hoping I won't get this problem. Even if this IS the reason, it sounds like they need to fix whatever is causing it.

Quick Reply: VSC - Check Engine: Excessive gas in Oil???