IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Manual IS250 Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-06, 02:19 PM
ChuckieBoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual IS250 Question

I am thinking about purchasing a Manual 6-Speed IS250 but am a little worried about the transmission/clutch after reading about premature wear on the IS300 clutch.

I am basically buying this car to replace an unreliable 99 Audi A4 based on the Lexus reliability reputation.

Do anyone know if the IS250 may be plagued with the same clutch issues as the IS300? Does anyone out there have a manual IS300 with over 100K miles and no clutch problems?

Thanks,
Chuckie
Old 02-16-06, 07:55 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Its still to early to tell. No one knows for sure on how durable the clutch is.

Lots of people with the IS300's were kids that did not know how to drive a manual properly. This caused a bad rep for the manual IS300.

I'm sure the manual IS250 is a reliable tranny.

I remember reading a month ago on here that someone had to get their clutch changed already. You might want to search that.

WIth my current car. I have 140k miles on it with the ORIGINAL clutch. Clutch ware depends on the driver.
Old 02-16-06, 09:09 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Thumbs up for another 6 speed manual IS250 owner. That is what I call a sweet car (honestly, more than an IS350 )

Toyota's (I assume the IS300 had some kind of Toyota clutch in it) are famous or (rather infamous) for having light clutches, which make them very easy to use and work great for long trips, but you have to handle them carefully. It takes a little getting used to the very subtle grab point. My XRS has the same hydraulic self-adjusting clutch that the Celica GTS comes with. It is yet another clutch that has been problematic especially for Matrix XRS owners (it weighs 200 lbs more than the XRS and 300 lbs more than the Celica GTS). If you know well how to drive a stick and do not do hard launches from 5500 rpm or so, you will be more than happy with the clutch. Otherwise, it would be good to invest in a heavy duty clutch.

As for myself, I have been driving my XRS for 20,000 KM and my clutch still grabs just an inch off the floor, which comes in handy while doing 8400 rpm rev limiter runs and keeping the engine boiling. I do not have any complaints at all. It is very easy to use in bumper to bumper traffic and does not cause any calf fatigue.However, I am sure if I do even 2-3 7500 rpm launches, I will be looking for another clutch.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-16-06 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-17-06, 05:40 AM
Lem144
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Thumbs up for another 6 speed manual IS250 owner. That is what I call a sweet car (honestly, more than an IS350 )

Toyota's (I assume the IS300 had some kind of Toyota clutch in it) are famous or (rather infamous) for having light clutches, which make them very easy to use and work great for long trips, but you have to handle them carefully. It takes a little getting used to the very subtle grab point. My XRS has the same hydraulic self-adjusting clutch that the Celica GTS comes with. It is yet another clutch that has been problematic especially for Matrix XRS owners (it weighs 200 lbs more than the XRS and 300 lbs more than the Celica GTS). If you know well how to drive a stick and do not do hard launches from 5500 rpm or so, you will be more than happy with the clutch. Otherwise, it would be good to invest in a heavy duty clutch.

As for myself, I have been driving my XRS for 20,000 KM and my clutch still grabs just an inch off the floor, which comes in handy while doing 8400 rpm rev limiter runs and keeping the engine boiling. I do not have any complaints at all. It is very easy to use in bumper to bumper traffic and does not cause any calf fatigue.However, I am sure if I do even 2-3 7500 rpm launches, I will be looking for another clutch.
These are great tips. I can't wait till my IS 6-speed arrives!
Old 02-17-06, 08:53 AM
ChuckieBoy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lem144
These are great tips. I can't wait till my IS 6-speed arrives!
Hummm... I test drove an IS250 manual last weekend and the clutch takeoff was very late (almost at the end of the clutch disengagement). This was the total opposite of an old Toyota MR2 that I had. I would prefer engagement earlier.

I agree that the engagement is very subtle. I had a hard time driving the car smoothly and I have been driving manuals for 15 years.

The sales guys said that maybe the clutch needed adjustment.

Anyone with a MT have comments? Was it the car or all they all like this.
Old 02-17-06, 08:58 AM
RA010324
Driver

Yeah, I've got an IS250 manual as well.....no problems so far. The shifter isn't the best though even when working fine. It's kinda notchy and there's not much clutch feel so very hard to tell where the engagement point is unless you can hear the motor. I also have an '06 A4 with a manual on the other hand and that shifter is about is sweet and perfect as you can get. Lexus needs to tear down a few more Audi's so they get it right. The manul in the 250 is just ok at best......but WAY better than the paddle shifters!!!!
Old 02-17-06, 09:08 AM
hofman_dzn
Driver School Candidate

Whoever said the original IS300 had clutch problems is totally bogus. I had one for 3 years and seriously wailed on it and never had any clutch problems. I was going through a set of tires every 7~8k miles to give you an idea how hard I was driving it (thankfully it was a company car and tires were included ) . Clutch wear happens 99% of the time in drivers who don't take their foot off the clutch pedal when its disengaged (i.e. putting your foot on the dead pedal when not in use). My bro wore out his in less than 1000 miles on his RX-8 simply because he was lazy and rested his foot on the pedal all the time. As long as you take your foot off, you should be fine with regards to cluch wear.
Old 02-17-06, 10:18 AM
vwong
Driver

Originally Posted by ChuckieBoy
Hummm... I test drove an IS250 manual last weekend and the clutch takeoff was very late (almost at the end of the clutch disengagement). This was the total opposite of an old Toyota MR2 that I had. I would prefer engagement earlier.
I felt the same thing when I test drove the IS250 6MT 2 weeks ago. The clutch engagement point was very late, and the clutch pedal feel was very soft. I also couldn't drive the car smooth. The sales said that it probably takes some time to get used to.

I'm thinking that the IS250 6MT has a CDD (clutch dampening device) just like the IS300. From what I've read, this device provide a very soft feel to the clutch pedal, and a soft engagement feel. I've posted a question here, but no one seems to know the answer. I guess I'll have to find out when my car gets here.
Old 02-17-06, 07:45 PM
knox_sport
Driver

Default same here...

Originally Posted by ChuckieBoy
Anyone with a MT have comments? Was it the car or all they all like this.
I also test drove a MT two weeks ago. I had the same thoughts, clutch takeoff was very late. I found it a little hard to get used to, but it was a brief test drive. I guess I'll get used to it once my car arrives.
Old 03-07-06, 02:03 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't mean to bring back a month old thread, but I figured I want to post my feedback.

I am a novice stick driver. I by no means is a good manual driver, my past two cars has been auto. The only chance I get to drive manual is on my friend's Civic hatchback, and that is to practice my manual skills.

I recently went to Lexus of Glendale to test drive a 6MT. I'll tell you one thing, I was VERY happy with the 6MT. The engagement point wasn't as high as I expected, it was rather low. I only lifted the clutch a bit and the car started to roll. It made me look like a good manual driver But of course, when it comes to driving a standard, people have different opinions and perspective.
Old 03-07-06, 03:13 PM
vwong
Driver

^^^ Noob MT driver!!!

Just messing with you, Ray.
Old 03-07-06, 03:23 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vwong
^^^ Noob MT driver!!!

Just messing with you, Ray.
LOL! Dang it Vincent!! At least I was able to drive it off the lot w/o stalling it.
Old 03-18-06, 09:02 PM
tofuw
Driver School Candidate

just test drove the is250 6mt today. like others have mentioned, the way the clutch engages is so different from my car (rsx-s). not sure why it's made that way but u have to almost release the clutch all the way back.. def need some getting used to.

went to BMW, drove the 06 330i, the throw are much shorter, no clutch "problem", great low end torque...then drove the 06 325i, slower than the 330i but still faster than the is250.

interior wise lexus >>>>>>> BMW.

Last edited by tofuw; 03-18-06 at 10:42 PM.