IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Nail in my tire, had to be replaced, $400!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-06, 09:47 AM
lucinda
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nail in my tire, had to be replaced, $400!!

Well, I got a 3" nail in my rear tire which required it to be replaced. This is on a car just shy of 2 months old. Be warned, the replacement cost (tire + labour) was ~$400. TG I had purchased 'tires for life' program when I bought the car. All costs were covered. I knew these were expensive tires, I don't usually go for extra dealer add-ons, but I went for this one. All I can say is, thank you forum contributors for warning me about those 18" tires. Knowing this before I bought the car really helped.
Old 02-15-06, 09:53 AM
x2mkx
Driver

ya i recently got a flat on my 350 when i hit a rock or something on the road. definately a pain. sadly, the tire couldnt be repaired so i had to order a replacement, cost about 500 something =/. apparently the tires were made to come out with the IS (summer tires i believe, not too sure)
Old 02-15-06, 10:06 AM
Steb
Driver School Candidate

On my first day I had my car I hit a huge Los Angeles style pothole..bent my wheel and split my tire on tthe side. I took it to my dealership and they replaced it and fixed it....replaced tire was only $315.00 with tax. Are the tires on the AWD that much different?
Old 02-15-06, 10:06 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 243 Posts

Where are you people getting your prices?

At tire rack, the rear 18" OEM (Dunlop SportMaxx 255/40YR18) tires are $229 + 14.30 shipping = $243.30. Looking at Tire Rack's "price pledge plus" recommended installer program for my zip code, mounting and balancing for a 40 series tire runs from $22.50 w/ a $3 disposal fee to $28.50 w/free disposal, depending on installer. Split the difference and say $27. That brings the total to $270.

$270 isn't cheap, but it sure isn't $400.
Old 02-15-06, 10:08 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

I don't know where you guys are buying from, but TireRack has the OE tire for $184 front, $229 rear.
Old 02-15-06, 10:09 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Where are you people getting your prices?

At tire rack, the rear 18" OEM (Dunlop SportMaxx 255/40YR18) tires are $229 + 14.30 shipping = $243.30. Looking at Tire Rack's "price pledge plus" recommended installer program for my zip code, mounting and balancing for a 40 series tire runs from $22.50 w/ a $3 disposal fee to $28.50 w/free disposal, depending on installer. Split the difference and say $27. That brings the total to $270.

$270 isn't cheap, but it sure isn't $400.
they probably went to the dealer (for a tire!?!?!?!)

thanks for pulling this up ...I was going do the same thing!
Old 02-15-06, 10:12 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
they probably went to the dealer (for a tire!?!?!?!)
Are you implying dealerships charge more?
Old 02-15-06, 10:14 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

never ever by the OE tire under any circumstances when replacing tires on any car, there are far better performing and at the same time less expensive tires available
Old 02-15-06, 10:15 AM
Steb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
never ever by the OE tire under any circumstances when replacing tires on any car, there are far better performing and at the same time less expensive tires available

But I only needed one....
Old 02-15-06, 10:19 AM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

I dont know about other cities/states, but here in Las Vegas they have a package called tire/wheel protection thats available when you purchase your car from the dealership. Basically it is a 5 year warranty that protects your tires and wheels from damages like nails, potholes, etc. even if it is your fault. The company will replace your wheels or tires up to $4000 if they are not repairable. I personally sell cars and I am getting this on my Lexus especially since I plan on getting volks.
Old 02-15-06, 10:21 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Steb
But I only needed one....
you can get single tires that outperfom OE tires for the same or sometimes lower price usually. Did the nail go thru the shoulder or sidewall of the tire, usually if it doesnt you can repair it, but if it punctures in the shoulder of the tire have to get it replaced, too unsafe.

OE tires on any car are the devils tires. Unless you had to get a tire right there and didnt want to use the spare and thats hte only available I guess you have no choice then. I just have extreme loathing of OE tires so i wouldve went on the spare until i could get better ones

example:

IS350 18" tires at TireRack

Goodyear F1 GS-D3 one of the best street tires now:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....lace=3&index=3

similar priced with OE Dunlop:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....lace=1&index=1

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 02-15-06 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-15-06, 10:25 AM
nhawk2
Driver School Candidate

If anyone wants the OE 18" Dunlop MAXX tires, I'll gladly sell them
Old 02-15-06, 10:31 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
you can get single tires that outperfom OE tires for the same or sometimes lower price usually.

OE tires on any car are the devils tires. Unless you had to get a tire right there and didnt want to use the spare and thats hte only available I guess you have no choice then. I just have extreme loathing of OE tires so i wouldve went on the spare until i could get better ones

example:

IS350 18" tires at TireRack

Goodyear F1 GS-D3 one of the best street tires now:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....lace=3&index=3

similar priced with OE Dunlop:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....lace=1&index=1
The Dunlops are not that bad. In the December Car and Driver, they tested 11 summer performance tires and the SportMaxx came in 6th, ahead of such well respected ones as the Pirelli P-Zero Rosso and the Toyo Proxes T1R. I agree that the Goodyear Eagle F1 FS-D3 is a better tire, and I plan on buying them when my OE tires wear out. But if I were buying one because a stocker was destroyed by a road hazard, I'd buy a Dunlop. Running a different tire on one corner (other than a temporary measure like the spare) is ill-advised and dangerous.
Old 02-15-06, 10:40 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

It should be covered under standard warranty , no charge for replacement tires :
Tire Warranty
Original equipment tires damaged by road hazards are covered under the Tire Road Hazard Protection warranty. This coverage is provided for a period of 36 months or 50,000 km or until the tire treadwear indicator becomes visible, whichever occurs first. The warranty applies to direct expenses incurred to repair or replace original equipment tires. Coverage is provided in respect to parts, labour, installation, balancing, and the applicable taxes. Your Lexus dealer will make the appropriate repair and claim.
Lexus Canada : http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/experience...y/warranty.jsp

Last edited by Gojirra99; 02-15-06 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-15-06, 10:44 AM
x2mkx
Driver

Originally Posted by yellowssm
I dont know about other cities/states, but here in Las Vegas they have a package called tire/wheel protection thats available when you purchase your car from the dealership. Basically it is a 5 year warranty that protects your tires and wheels from damages like nails, potholes, etc. even if it is your fault. The company will replace your wheels or tires up to $4000 if they are not repairable. I personally sell cars and I am getting this on my Lexus especially since I plan on getting volks.

actually the reason why it was so expensive for me was because i also bought a plan that was something like this...
silly me i forgot about that xP

Quick Reply: Nail in my tire, had to be replaced, $400!!