IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

LoJacK on IS350??

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-06, 02:19 PM
Convinced
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't LoJack (minus the early warning) basically a ripoff if you have NAV? They both use GPS.

Early warning only works if people don't leave the transmitter in the car
Old 02-14-06, 02:32 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Convinced
Isn't LoJack (minus the early warning) basically a ripoff if you have NAV? They both use GPS.

Early warning only works if people don't leave the transmitter in the car
You couldn't be more wrong.
Old 02-14-06, 02:52 PM
Convinced
Driver School Candidate

Default OK, I'll bite...

So how is LoJack beneficial with a NAV/GPS that uses your current location to determine information? It's entirely probably that you are more knowledgeable that I on that score.

However," Early warning" has a transmitter that should be in "x" distance from the ignition when the car is started. If it is not in range, you can get called/emailed/beeped at various locations. So if someone left the transmitter say in the glove compartment, and the car was subsequently stolen, I fail to see how the LoJack would detect the theft.

Enlighten me.
Old 02-14-06, 03:53 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So how is LoJack beneficial with a NAV/GPS that uses your current location to determine information? It's entirely probably that you are more knowledgeable that I on that score.

However," Early warning" has a transmitter that should be in "x" distance from the ignition when the car is started. If it is not in range, you can get called/emailed/beeped at various locations. So if someone left the transmitter say in the glove compartment, and the car was subsequently stolen, I fail to see how the LoJack would detect the theft.

Enlighten me.
I think the response TimboIS was referring to as being "more wrong" was the first statement you made saying that LoJack is worthless if your car has NAV/GPS. Not the second statement.

Factory NAV/GPS in most vehicles are one-way devices only. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure factory OnStar is two-way and is typically the only exception to the rule). LoJack is a two-way device. Sure your factory NAV/GPS knows exactly where your car is but since it's only a one-way device, it has no way of transmitting to the authorities or to you where the vehicle is.

Cheers,
Kermee

EDIT - Added URL to LoJack FAQ's including FAQ to EARLY WARNING:
LoJack FAQ's

Last edited by Kermee; 02-14-06 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-14-06, 03:58 PM
rys
Pole Position

Personally, I don't think that my IS will ever be stolen while i'm not in it. I feel that while the probability that I'll ever be car jacked in my life is low, it would be the only thing that would separate me from my IS.

Now, LoJack is great and all if the police have the time to deal with your stolen car. Basically, it activates then you hope that there's a patrol that both has the LoJack locator equipment, and that has the time to deal with tracking down your stolen car.

Personally, I'm going to have Mobile Guardian installed.

http://www.mymobileguardian.com/

I hear that it costs almost the same, and it doesn't require the police equipment to locate your car. (Although, I'd recommend that you call the police and guide them to the location).

-Brian
Old 02-14-06, 04:03 PM
yoshi13
Rookie

GPS requires a decently clear line of sight between the car and the satalite.

Lo-Jack works on police band, so it'll work underground etc...
Old 02-14-06, 04:30 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Isn't LoJack (minus the early warning) basically a ripoff if you have NAV?
To clarify, your statement tends to infer that Lojack and Nav are equivalent. Lojack may have GPS information, but it's certainly nothing the user can access to tell them where they are, or to guide them to the store.
Old 02-14-06, 05:10 PM
SportyStar
Driver

Originally Posted by rys
Personally, I don't think that my IS will ever be stolen while i'm not in it. I feel that while the probability that I'll ever be car jacked in my life is low, it would be the only thing that would separate me from my IS.
Speaking of carjacking, brings to mind a couple questions. As we know, the Smart Key is required to start the car. Let's say I get carjacked, but I have the key in my pocket. I get forced out of my car. The carjacker takes off, unaware of the IS350's smart key/sensor system. Question #1, is the smart key required (to be inside the car) for it to keep on going? If so, how far will it go before the system realizes the key is no longer in the car? Obviously, if the carjacker were to push the ignition button and shut off the engine, it will not start again in the absence of the smart key.

I noticed whenever I take the smart key out of the car with the engine running, and I shut the door, I hear 3 beeps and the exclamation point warning symbol blinks. (I sometimes do this when I carry my set of keys out of the car so I can open the mailbox). So I'm wondering if in the off chance someone opens the door, darts into my car and attempts to drive off, will it actually go (i.e., will the transmission shift into drive? Will the throttle work? etc) Or is there some safety/anti-theft system integrated such that the smart key must be back inside the "cockpit" to drive. On the other hand, if I leave the door open and take the smart key outside the car, I don't hear the 3 beeps or see the exclamation point blinking. Wonder if THAT would make any difference in the driveability of the car in the absence of the smart key.

I know, I know, I could probably get a friend to help me "experiment" ... but on the other hand I'm concerned about causing more trouble/complications than it's worth to find out.
Old 02-14-06, 07:06 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SportyStar
Speaking of carjacking, brings to mind a couple questions. As we know, the Smart Key is required to start the car. Let's say I get carjacked, but I have the key in my pocket. I get forced out of my car. The carjacker takes off, unaware of the IS350's smart key/sensor system. Question #1, is the smart key required (to be inside the car) for it to keep on going?
Nope. It's like starting a normal car with a regular key. In some vehicles, (my OLD '89 Toyota Van comes to mind), I can pull out the key while the engine is running. The IS 250/350 will stay on even if it senses the key is no longer in the vehicle.

If so, how far will it go before the system realizes the key is no longer in the car? Obviously, if the carjacker were to push the ignition button and shut off the engine, it will not start again in the absence of the smart key.
Car will go as far as it can go until someone hits the "Start/Stop" button.

I noticed whenever I take the smart key out of the car with the engine running, and I shut the door, I hear 3 beeps and the exclamation point warning symbol blinks. (I sometimes do this when I carry my set of keys out of the car so I can open the mailbox). So I'm wondering if in the off chance someone opens the door, darts into my car and attempts to drive off, will it actually go (i.e., will the transmission shift into drive? Will the throttle work? etc)
Say bye-bye to your car!

Or is there some safety/anti-theft system integrated such that the smart key must be back inside the "cockpit" to drive. On the other hand, if I leave the door open and take the smart key outside the car, I don't hear the 3 beeps or see the exclamation point blinking. Wonder if THAT would make any difference in the driveability of the car in the absence of the smart key.
Same difference. Instant someone hops into your car, closes the door, the car will beep. The car will beep letting the driver and/or occupants know that the car is running and the smart key is not detected. Then they can drive off if they wanted to, unhindered.

I know, I know, I could probably get a friend to help me "experiment" ... but on the other hand I'm concerned about causing more trouble/complications than it's worth to find out.
Hope this answers your questions. Hope you trust your "friend" if you experiment.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 02-15-06, 12:10 AM
SportyStar
Driver

Originally Posted by Kermee
Hope you trust your "friend" if you experiment.
Haha! Yep, I guess this is the point where I wish I had LoJack ... just in case my "friend" decides not to come back.

Thank you for answering my questions, Kermee.
Old 02-15-06, 05:46 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rys

Now, LoJack is great and all if the police have the time to deal with your stolen car. Basically, it activates then you hope that there's a patrol that both has the LoJack locator equipment, and that has the time to deal with tracking down your stolen car.

Personally, I'm going to have Mobile Guardian installed.

http://www.mymobileguardian.com/

I hear that it costs almost the same, and it doesn't require the police equipment to locate your car. (Although, I'd recommend that you call the police and guide them to the location).

-Brian
looks pretty good....same price?????
Old 02-15-06, 05:59 AM
big_Al
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kermee
Just a warning, there is a door lock to pick on the IS to get inside the vehicle. Go through your manual.

Some poor CL member had his car broken into when they removed the cover and jammed it open. When it's jammed open, all the windows and the moonroof fully open. The thieves knew what they were doing.

Cheers,
Kermee

If these losers would spend some time on something constructive they would probably sleep better and make more money. Crooks are smart, just lazy.

Last edited by big_Al; 02-15-06 at 06:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-15-06, 02:30 PM
rys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bagwell
looks pretty good....same price?????
I think the difference in price isn't that great. I don't recall the exact prices for each. I remember LoJack being something like $700, and Mobile Guardian being slightly more expensive. ($900?)

Seems like Mobile Guardian has enough functionality that I'd be comfortable paying for it...

-Brian