IS350, G35, BMW...... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-06, 08:03 PM
iswanabe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350, G35, BMW...... Help!

Folks,

I've been reading all your wonderful posts, thank you. Unfortunatley, I can't get myself to pull the trigger on the new IS350 yet.

I've owned several performance cars (M3, Porsche, 300ZX, etc) and am concerned that the automatic transmission and electronic "nannies" of the IS350 will disapoint me. I currently have an E36 M3 and a Mistsubishi Evo. I'm looking at getting rid of them both and getting a new, classy car that won't dissapoint in the performance category.

Anyone have similar concerns before buying their IS? Is the lack of a manual transmsission dissapointing to you? Is the handling sporty enough for a spirited drive to work?

I know these are all subjective questions. I really like the IS, but am concerned that I'd own it for a month and wish I had bought the G35.
Old 02-13-06, 08:13 PM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

Everybody on this board wondered the same thing before they bought their car. Between the three it is an extremely close race but you have to prioritoze three major things: performance, reliability, refinement.

Generally the BMW "feel" (e.g. steering feedback) is better but the Lexus is more refined (and has more HP) on the inside and should prove to have very few reliability concerns. I'd only go with the G35C if had to have a stick and was priced out of the BMW.
Old 02-13-06, 08:16 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

G35 has a more harsh ride and less luxury than the IS according to many G35 owners test driving an IS. Careful cuz the G35 is suppose to get a redesign in the next year or 08. Tried to test drive an IS350 yet? You will be impressed. The sportshift paddles actualy shift surprisingly fast, probably one of the fastest non SMG shifting for a tranny with a torque converter. Handling is very sporty but smooth at the same time. Not as perofmance oriented as a 3 series but more on the daily driving side. Test drive one, you wont regret it

Test drove a IS350 a few times already. Personally hoping for a manual and/or coupe to come out next model year.
Old 02-13-06, 08:21 PM
iswanabe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
G35 has a more harsh ride and less luxury than the IS according to many G35 owners test driving an IS. Careful cuz the G35 is suppose to get a redesign in the next year or 08. Tried to test drive an IS350 yet? You will be impressed. The sportshift paddles actualy shift surprisingly fast, probably one of the fastest non SMG shifting for a tranny with a torque converter. Handling is very sporty but smooth at the same time. Not as perofmance oriented as a 3 series but more on the daily driving side. Test drive one, you wont regret it

Test drove a IS350 a few times already. Personally hoping for a manual and/or coupe to come out next model year.

I did test drive the IS350, however, I didn't really push the car. I was very impressed with the looks inside and out as well as the performance of the car. I would like to take one for a longer test drive and push the car a little bit.
Old 02-13-06, 11:48 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iswanabe
I did test drive the IS350, however, I didn't really push the car. I was very impressed with the looks inside and out as well as the performance of the car. I would like to take one for a longer test drive and push the car a little bit.

go back this time and push it. I am sure you wont be disappointed. The car was much faster than i expected. IS350 ,G35 and 330i are all good choices in that price range.It's just like buying a mountain bike. whatever fits you the best. There's no loser in those three. But keep in mind that G is getting all new next year and 335i is coming out this sep.

Good luck with your choice!
Old 02-13-06, 11:58 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

The G35 Coupe was the vehicle I was considering before the new IS came out and I test drove it. I chose the IS350 becuase I ultimatly wanted a 4 door, but the G35 sedan is not my style. The IS gave me the looks I wanted as well as the convienience of 4 doors. Interior fit and finish is on a totally different level, there really is no comparison there. The G35 engine feels just as strong as the IS350 but not nearly as refined. The Lexus V6 is noticabley quieter and smoother however the G35 does have a pretty distinctive exhaust note.

Oh, and if you do go back and test drive it, be sure and press the pwr button. I didn't know such a button existed the very first time I drove it.
Old 02-14-06, 04:19 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Here's my 2 beans:

- if you commute 100+ miles a day like I do, but love to drive a stick, then the IS is about as good as it's gonna get. I have some control over my shifting, and a 6spd auto makes it that much better than your average slushbox. No, it's not a substitute for shifting your own, but given the driving I do, I'm willing to live with it. In fact, I think I'll grow to like the calm that can befall when you just slap it in drive and relax a little bit.

- the electronic nanny business is very much overblown. I drive a fast pace on the road when conditions permit and the roads are twisty, but come on... if you're sliding the car around enough to kick the stability control in on a regular basis on public roads, you're going to wind up in jail before it bothers you too much anyway. The last car I enjoyed getting sideways was my Miata, but that could be induced at walking pace

- after sitting in the IS, then sitting in a BMW, I think it's really hard to NOT go back to the IS. The BMW interior is seriously hideous in comparison, and Lexus is very much up with Audi in the interior department. My first impression of the IS will always be the huge smile on my face when I first sat in it and realized how incredibly nice and inviting it was (although this is lessened somewhat, in my opinion, by the grey and black interiors... black is nice but very "business-like", while grey is just hideous. Get cashmere ).

- the sport suspension in the IS is, in my opinion, good stuff. Having come from some very tightly sprung cars (but with good rides... S2000 most recently), I have no complaints about the IS, and steering is plenty direct for me. No, it's not as good as the 3-series. Would I be able to tell unless I drove them back to back? No. And since I don't own both, it's not an issue
Old 02-14-06, 09:03 AM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

Hold out for the upcoming M3....
Old 02-14-06, 09:08 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Wid IS350
Hold out for the upcoming M3....
... if you want to shell out about $60k or more ...
Old 02-14-06, 09:43 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by iswanabe
pop the shifter into paddle mode and use the paddles, amazing
Old 02-14-06, 09:44 AM
x2mkx
Driver

tell you what i think....

previous to my IS350 i had a 2004 g35 SEDAN...all i can tell you is that i had some trouble with it.also, nissan (which owns infiniti) isnt known to keep its resale value very well either. basically, what im saying about the G35 is its not worth it. its a great car, sure, but it's definately high maitenance. lexus/toyota on the other hand, is renowned for having some of the most reliable cars on the market..resale value for the two is much better than most others...plus..the IS350 feels damn good when you drive it...so take one out for a spin . now the M3 is a great ride and incredibly fast...ill give it that much. but sadly, its just way too expensive, and mind you german cars are VERY high maintenance. frankly i don think its worth it...if i had the money to get the M3, id much rather just nab an IS350 and use the leftover money for some rims...hids...and all the other stuff when it comes out ;D
Old 02-14-06, 10:18 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by heffergm
Here's my 2 beans:

- the IS is about as good as it's gonna get.
- the electronic nanny business is very much overblown.
- after sitting in the IS, then sitting in a BMW, I think it's really hard to NOT go back to the IS.
- the sport suspension in the IS is, in my opinion, good stuff.
I concur!

The manual is definately the big downer, especially since you already have the M3. Performance may be hindered by the weight, lack of manual, and VDIM, but otherwise is a great package altogether. What the IS lacks in performance/handling is compensated by technology, safety, and comfort.

If you value performance over technology, safety, and comfort, the IS may not be for you...

Good luck with your search!
Old 02-14-06, 10:19 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I concur!

The manual is definately the big downer, especially since you already have the M3. Performance may be hindered by the weight, lack of manual, and VDIM, but otherwise is a great package altogether. What the IS lacks in performance/handling is compensated by technology, safety, and comfort.

If you value performance over technology, safety, and comfort, the IS may not be for you...

Good luck with your search!
Thanks for the summation
Old 02-14-06, 10:46 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by heffergm
black is nice but very "business-like", while grey is just hideous. Get cashmere ).
Cashmere?? Are you kidding us? lol isnt that the tan interior? if so, why do you
you barely see any IS350'S with that color interior? I actually would rather have
black then my grey color, but thats only because it doesnt show stains.. I think
black and grey are the nicest , if the is350 only came with cashmere, i might of
gotten the 330i instead
Old 02-14-06, 10:53 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tony1
Cashmere??
Yes.

Are you kidding us?
No.

lol isnt that the tan interior?
Yes.

if so, why do you
you barely see any IS350'S with that color interior?
I've seen one IS on the road, and never got a good look at the interior, so I really can't comment. Although you'll notice there are more than a fair share of tan interior cars in the gallery.

Quick Reply: IS350, G35, BMW...... Help!