IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navi Day/Night doesn't work...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-06, 05:59 PM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navi Day/Night doesn't work...

Although I can't say for sure because I never had my car's nav on at night before I did the DVD mod, but it appears that I cannot select night mode for my nav. It doesn't let me choose it regardless of the headlight position switch, or manually select it through the display button options...

Any clues? Anyone else run into this? Because that day mode is pretty bright at night, plus night mode just looks snazzy anyway.

Last edited by Toyota_F1; 02-07-06 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-07-06, 06:30 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Toyota_F1
Although I can't say for sure because I never had my car's nav on at night before I did the DVD mod, but it appears that I cannot select night mode for my nav. It doesn't let me choose it regardless of the headlight position switch, or manually select it through the display button options...

Any clues? Anyone else run into this? Because that day mode is pretty bright at night, plus night mode just looks snazzy anyway.
aren't you the one whose backup camera stopped working after the mod? Perhaps you've got your wires crossed. Check that your display brightness switch (to the left of the steering wheel) is one click down from full intensity, and NAV display is in night mode.
Old 02-07-06, 06:32 PM
Soda
Pole Position

Mine changes automatically when the lights are on auto or just on all the time, I usually drive w/the headlights on all the time and when I go through a drive thru on a not so bright day, it will go to night mode then right when I hit the light it will go back to day mode. I never have to change it as I did w/my TSX.
Old 02-07-06, 07:07 PM
saske
Rookie

My only thought is to make sure that your display brightness dial to the left of the steering wheel isn't all the way to its maximum setting. Not sure if you tried turning this *** to a lower light level, but if it is to its max light, it won't go to night mode at anytime.
Just a thought.
Old 02-07-06, 07:14 PM
SilverBolt
Driver

It's the display brightness switch as described above. Presto, it's fixed.
Old 02-07-06, 07:22 PM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

Nope, got no crossed wires and my backup cam works fine... I'm the one who had his vents fall out and now they're misaligned. I quadruple checked my wires, everything else works fine, with the exception of the DVD-Audio discs I have not playing in surround, and the vent being a little finicky, and not having night mode. I haven't looked at the dimmer on the left though... I'll try that...

Thanks for all the input. It's amazing all the things that aren't mentioned or mentioned poorly in the manuals. Even after poring over this car and all the information I have available to me at work it's amusing the little things that you just can't see without hands on experience.

Thanks again all.

Last edited by Toyota_F1; 02-07-06 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-07-06, 09:06 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Nope, got no crossed wires and my backup cam works fine... I'm the one who had his vents fall out and now they're misaligned. I quadruple checked my wires, everything else works fine, with the exception of the DVD-Audio discs I have not playing in surround, and the vent being a little finicky, and not having night mode. I haven't looked at the dimmer on the left though... I'll try that...

Thanks for all the input. It's amazing all the things that aren't mentioned or mentioned poorly in the manuals. Even after poring over this car and all the information I have available to me at work it's amusing the little things that you just can't see without hands on experience.

Thanks again all.
The manual is extremely poorly written, full of typos, and in some cases, just plain 100% wrong. This forum is a lifesaver for that kind of question!
Old 02-07-06, 09:13 PM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

That was it guys.... console dimmer was up all the way... I haven't really done any night time driving and just noticed today that I couldn't select between day/night so I wouldn't have thought of it, and it wasn't in the damn manual anywhere. So thanks for pointing it out!
Old 02-08-06, 07:08 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

That was it guys.... console dimmer was up all the way... I haven't really done any night time driving and just noticed today that I couldn't select between day/night so I wouldn't have thought of it, and it wasn't in the damn manual anywhere. So thanks for pointing it out!
it IS in the manual--probably in the NAV manual instead of the regular one.
Old 02-08-06, 04:11 PM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

If the fact that the day/night mode is unchangeable when the console dimmer is all the way up is in the manual then it's hidden someplace entirely unrelated to the rest of mentions of the day/night mode. I pulled both the full manual and the nav manual in pdf format and searched every occurence of "day mode" and never found it, along with bringing in the Nav manual after lunch and reading it through. Granted, by that time I was tired of looking for the damn thing and was ready to burn that book, but it didn't appear to be in any logical place in relation to the other mentions of day/night mode. Didn't find anything about it under "instrument panel light control" which is the dimmer in question.

I swear it's like "Where's Waldo" you'll scour the whole book and never find it and then 10 minutes after you swear it's not there someone will find it!