IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

XM installation & DRLs

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-06, 01:48 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM installation & DRLs

I dropped my car off this morning to have the XM install done. Just got the call that It's ready and I'll be leaving work in a little bit to go get it! I'll post pics.

I had also asked the service rep. to please turn off the DRL's. He started to say that it couldn't be done, as it's not in the LPS menu, so I promptly whipped out the copy of the C-best menu that shows how to do it that had previously been posted here. He looked at it and was like "oh, didn't realize this was in there...no problem then, we'll turn it off". Well, he just called to tell me Lexus will not allow them to turn off DRLs, as it is a safety/liability issue! I know a few of you guys ran into this roadblock as well. Was anyone able to overcome it, and if so, how did you get them to change their mind?
Old 02-06-06, 01:51 PM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

Foxberry-

Sounds like your dealership has a ***** of a service manager, or their lawyers are leaning on them to err on the side of caution.

although the NJ DMV and related laws are ludicrous, there is nothing that says this is the law.

You should take this up with the Service Manager at Ray Catena - or perhaps reach out for Fran in the Sales Dept... She is very helpful.
Old 02-06-06, 09:17 PM
rljones
Driver School Candidate

Foxberry,

Can you tell us how much the XM cost and what exactly did they add besides the XM tuner box? Thanks.

I too am interested in turning off the DRL, so keep us posted if you convince the dealer to turn it off. (Has anyone got Tustin Lexus to do this?)

I don't know if it applies here, but on my 2001 Passat, I was able to pull a relay to turn off the DRL. Maybe someone knows if there is a relay in the DRL circuit; this might be another method to disable it.
Old 02-06-06, 11:21 PM
yoshi13
Rookie

When my service manager told me that they cannot turn off safety features, I just told them that Lexus Customer Service said that the dealer can turn off for me... If they continue to refuse, just call Lexus Customer Service or go to another dealer.
Old 02-07-06, 06:23 AM
Goldglv
Driver

Foxberry,

Where did you have the install done? Someone in this thread mention Ray Catena Lexus, did you get it done there? I know they use Shore Cellular to do installs like this. I'm very curious to know how much of the car they had to rip apart to get this install done. Where did you get the XM kit from? Sewell? Thanks.....
Old 02-07-06, 11:36 AM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

I was told XM was available as a dealer-installed option when I was negotiating the price back in November. I wanted it, as I was already an XM customer, so it was included in the final sales price. The cost of XM was not broken out as a separate line item. The equipment is comprised of the receiver, wiring kit and antenna. The installation was done at Ray Catena Monmouth and they did a great job. The sales rep said the installation was a piece of cake. The receiver is in the trunk and the antenna is on the rear ledge right next to the 3rd brake light (see pic).
Attached Thumbnails XM installation & DRLs-antenna.jpg  
Old 02-07-06, 11:37 AM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

Talking

Foxberry -

It's Ludicrous that we're waiting this long to see pics of the XM install! Get them up here ASAP!!!
Old 02-07-06, 01:35 PM
smtymagoo
Driver School Candidate

can you post pics of the nav screen integration please
Old 02-07-06, 01:36 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Sorry smtymagoo, I don't have the NAV
Old 02-07-06, 01:47 PM
lexus_x_2
Rookie

Originally Posted by smtymagoo
can you post pics of the nav screen integration please

I have the Nav screen and will have XM installed on Wednesday night, so I will make sure to get some pictures.
Old 02-07-06, 05:29 PM
brewkp4
Pole Position

Will the Sirius antenna look pretty much the same?
Old 02-08-06, 06:15 AM
smtymagoo
Driver School Candidate

i was told the sirius antenna is mounted on the front windshield behind the mirror.. like where an ez pass would go.. and it is a strip not a puck.
Old 02-08-06, 08:14 AM
brewkp4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by smtymagoo
i was told the sirius antenna is mounted on the front windshield behind the mirror.. like where an ez pass would go.. and it is a strip not a puck.
Ok thanks. If any one has installed Sirius will you post a pic of the Sirius antenna. If I get SAT I think I would want to get Sirius (Sirius is an option right?).....hope someone can post what the navigation unit looks like when using SAT radio.....with SAT radio in the new IS is it possible to set up alerts for when a certain song comes on and it will alert you that the song is on if you are listening to a different channel? I know a buddy of mine had this feature but didnt have the set up the new IS does and had a SAT radio player he had to mount on the dash (Sorry if that doesnt make sense I just do not know what they call the box you can purchase at a place like Best Buy and have it mounted in the car)
Old 02-08-06, 08:32 AM
smtymagoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by brewkp4
Ok thanks. If any one has installed Sirius will you post a pic of the Sirius antenna. If I get SAT I think I would want to get Sirius (Sirius is an option right?).....hope someone can post what the navigation unit looks like when using SAT radio.....with SAT radio in the new IS is it possible to set up alerts for when a certain song comes on and it will alert you that the song is on if you are listening to a different channel? I know a buddy of mine had this feature but didnt have the set up the new IS does and had a SAT radio player he had to mount on the dash (Sorry if that doesnt make sense I just do not know what they call the box you can purchase at a place like Best Buy and have it mounted in the car)
its just a standard reciever to my knowledge.. no recording or auto switching features.. if the display screen is up you should be able to see what is on the other preset channels thats about it.. it is an option.. but isn't available (supposedly) for about a month.. when i first got my car in october.. they said they could just take the GS parts and put it in.. apparantly they had everything in place and went to plug it in to the nav.. and the GEN 5 nav has a different connector so they took it all out.
Old 02-08-06, 06:23 PM
rljones
Driver School Candidate

Foxberry,

Can you show us a picture of where the receiver is installed in the trunk?

The antenna should be easy for any of us to install. If the receiver goes in the trunk, it sounds like the car may be pre-wired and they just plug it in (Volvo does this, and you plug in either the Sirius or XM unit). If we know the location in the trunk and find a plug in, then all we need to do is order the parts and do the install ourselves, saving some money.

If no plug is present, then the dealer had to run wires from the trunk to the Nav unit, meaning installling it ourselves would be slightly more difficult.

Quick Reply: XM installation & DRLs