IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

No oil change for 5k mi?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-06, 02:54 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

In the UK the recommended service intervals are every 10k miles, including oil changes. I don't think there has been a car made in the last 15 years with oil change intervals of 5k miles. I was quite surprised Lexus recommended intervals as short as 10k as most manufacturers are pushing them out to 15 and 20k, as per my previous Audi. I recall a sceptical BMW owner insisting on oil changes every 5k and challenging a colleague to have the 15k old oil in his car analysed at a lab. He was forced to eat his words when the report came back that the synthetic oil was still well within tolerances and fit for another 10k use.

I queried this with my wife who works for Audi and she confirmed that tests they have done on the synthetic oils show them to have a far longer service life than old mineral oils. However, she added that the variable servicing that Audi have been offering with their new cars has been very difficult to administer as they now have no way of predicting when a car is due to come in for a service and they are only seeing some vehicles once every 2 years. For this reason they are reverting to 10k intervals so they can build stronger relationships with customers (and make more money!)
Old 02-07-06, 03:24 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What we should do here is have an oil analysis done at every oil change and post the results?! What do you guys think?
Old 02-07-06, 03:30 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clubfoot
What we should do here is have an oil analysis done at every oil change and post the results?! What do you guys think?
It's easy enough... $20 at Blackstone Labs.
Old 02-07-06, 06:39 PM
3erbeatsIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by heffergm
It's easy enough... $20 at Blackstone Labs.

Just be sure to order ahead of time. It took 2 months to get my sample kit in,,,,
Old 02-07-06, 07:00 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Guess what other company uses an oil filter element replacement? The Mazda 6.
Old 02-07-06, 07:21 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

oil analysis doesnt mean anything to me.

If the oil is black (dirty) then its time to change the oil regardless what the oil analysis report says.

I change my oil every 3k with synthetic so I could care less about doing an oil analysis.
Old 02-07-06, 07:32 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by gsrthomas

If the oil is black (dirty) then its time to change the oil regardless what the oil analysis report says.

I change my oil every 3k with synthetic so I could care less about doing an oil analysis.
an oil analysis does far more than just tell you when to change the oil
Old 02-07-06, 07:50 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

lol
Old 02-08-06, 01:42 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you sure you are doing the right thing stretching it out to 3k? Maybe changes at 1.5k would be better?
Old 02-08-06, 03:23 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Brilliant, rely on the one thing that tells you absolutely nothing about the chemical properties of the oil and continue to waste natural resources. Good move.
Old 02-08-06, 08:53 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually the darker the oil seems to get the thicker it seems to get.
Anyone who's done alot of oil changes should have noticed this.
Everyone keep this in mind before discrediting the ppl that like
to change it when it becomes very dark...
Old 02-08-06, 09:06 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Are you sure you are doing the right thing stretching it out to 3k? Maybe changes at 1.5k would be better?
My old car I actually did change it every 1.5-2k once in a while. I'm just **** about my cars. Plus I like working on them so doing an oil change is fun to me.
Old 02-08-06, 09:21 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to stick my neck out here so feel free to correct.
The colour change is due to combustion blow by, "dirt", leeching of additives and contaminants held in suspension, under "normal" operating conditions. Does not matter weather you use a modern day synthetic or mineral oil the same process will occur. Contaminants include rubber, copper, brass, aluminum, steel, iron, nylon,...you see where I'm going with this. For that reason the quality of the oil & air filter I feel are more important than weather one uses synthetic or mineral oil and follow the manufacturer's recommended service intervals.

Flame suit on
Old 02-08-06, 11:44 AM
u2jrmw
Driver School Candidate

I am looking at the IS 250 and I am annoyed i would have to change my oil as frequently as 5k miles. I change the oil in my Audi every 10k and it is just fine. I grew up in England and I was amazed when I came to the US that there was a whole industry and culture built around the 3k mile change. I don't ever remember anyone talking about oil changes in the UK, just happened at regular service.
Old 02-08-06, 01:00 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
I am looking at the IS 250 and I am annoyed i would have to change my oil as frequently as 5k miles. I change the oil in my Audi every 10k and it is just fine. I grew up in England and I was amazed when I came to the US that there was a whole industry and culture built around the 3k mile change. I don't ever remember anyone talking about oil changes in the UK, just happened at regular service.
Americans have been brainwashed into thinking 3k intervals are necessary. We grew up with it, and even science hasn't dissuaded people otherwise. It's hard to dispell what amounts to a social norm. Even my mother knows you change your oil every 3000 miles!!! (although I've now convinced her otherwise).

It's a collosal waste of resources. Funnily enough, truckers are one of the few breeds that practice the long oil change interval with regular analysis throughout its life. Big rigs have huge sumps, and those guys rightfully cringe at the thought of oil changes. Sump size plays a big role in oil life over the change interval, but even your average 4-quart 4-banger can go 5000 miles without issue.

I'd encourage everyone to take a look at http://www.bobistheoilguy.com and please stop changing your damn oil every 3000 miles.

Quick Reply: No oil change for 5k mi?