IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Clear Bra and tint feedback NEEDED!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-06, 12:32 AM
geri&eric
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Bra and tint feedback NEEDED!

I got a price quote at a local place that installs clear bras.

Quote 1- clear bra alone- $800 plus tax

Quote 2- clear bra and tint- $1000 (tax included) ($666 for clear bra and $334 ceramic tint)

Ok my question is...

1. are these reasonable prices for both quotes?

2. does it matter if ceramic or "regular" tint is used?

3. for those with the clear bra on, have you seen any stone chips in that area? some say that even though the clear bra is there when a stone hits it hard enough it'll take the clear bra and paint with it. Is this true?

4. do these clear bras fade or start showing a different shade?
Old 02-06-06, 05:48 AM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

not sure about the clearbra but ceramic tint is expensive. That $334 quote sounds about right, and many places charge higher, especially if you use Huper Optik

i always thought that clear bras run you close to $1k
Old 02-06-06, 05:52 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

They're both on the high side for the clear bra, depending on what parts of the car they're doing. Check and see exactly what they protect... i.e. front bumper, mirrors, hood, etc.
Old 02-06-06, 05:55 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Damn....I didn't think the bra's were that damn much...... It's flippin stickers, not gold.

Nothing to say about your price, but you made me dribble the AM coffee when I read that.....
Old 02-06-06, 07:06 AM
mtnduc
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm getting my front bumper, hood, fenders and door handles done today for $399.
Old 02-06-06, 09:28 AM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mtnduc
I'm getting my front bumper, hood, fenders and door handles done today for $399.
assuming he does a good job I'd say that's a DEAL!!!! I know I paid WAY more than I should have. I did it thru the dealer and paid 1K. Of course I had them take it off a redo it 4 times...
Old 02-06-06, 01:16 PM
geri&eric
Driver School Candidate

for those who already HAVE their paint protection on their car and have been driving with it for at least a month have you notice any stone chips in those areas?
Old 02-06-06, 01:18 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by geri&eric
for those who already HAVE their paint protection on their car and have been driving with it for at least a month have you notice any stone chips in those areas?
Nope, the clear bra seems to be doing its job well.
Old 02-06-06, 01:19 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

the lexus paint is WEAK. i figure they are the water base now maybe that is why. i've got 1 or 2 chips but my girl's car................................................................ too late for her to have clear bra that's all i got to say.
Old 02-06-06, 01:25 PM
geri&eric
Driver School Candidate

that reminds me notice any fading? i've heard mix opinions of it, some say it'll fade the area, some say the area not covered will fade.
Old 02-06-06, 01:27 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geri&eric
that reminds me notice any fading? i've heard mix opinions of it, some say it'll fade the area, some say the area not covered will fade.
I've heard various things as well, but it's too soon to tell for me as I've only had it on for a little over a month.
Old 02-06-06, 01:39 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

that's way way too much. if the clear bra cost me that much i'll just repaint my bumper every 5 years. And that is also too much for tint.
Old 02-06-06, 03:01 PM
dainese954
Driver

Originally Posted by NotFatBoy
not sure about the clearbra but ceramic tint is expensive. That $334 quote sounds about right, and many places charge higher, especially if you use Huper Optik

i always thought that clear bras run you close to $1k
i am getting my windows tinted with 5% ceramic film for 240 cash so i think that is pretty high, o yea btw the guy does all tints for the local lexus dealer. so ask around i think u might be able to find a better deal. again my friend for his golf GTI done with 5% not sure for ceramic or not for 139 in new orleans before the storm
Old 02-06-06, 03:37 PM
vp911
Pit Crew

I bought the clearbra kit on ebay for roughly $180 and had a local shop install it for $300. Total of $480 and it looks excellent. Covers hood, bumper, mirrors, fender. So that is a little on the high side. They had quoted me labor and the film for $700 total if I bought the film from them... so I save a bit by providing them the kit.
Old 02-06-06, 04:14 PM
JSK97VMI
Rookie

My clear bra cost $650 and covers the front bumper, hood, mirrors, and the front side of the bumpers. The tint cost $200. I did notice one rock chip has cut into the clear bra, but it looks like it protected the paint. With all of the plastic on the front end of the IS, any rocks will actually eat into the plastic. To get that repaired assuming that you'll get alot of them over x years would result in having to replace the bumper which would probably be in the +1K range. I think it's worth it so far considering all of the dirt and bugs that have easily wiped off the clear bra. If I hadn't had it on, I imagine the front end would already be showing some wear.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra and tint feedback NEEDED!