IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Clear Bra and tint feedback NEEDED!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-06, 04:34 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JSK97VMI
My clear bra cost $650 and covers the front bumper, hood, mirrors, and the front side of the bumpers. The tint cost $200. I did notice one rock chip has cut into the clear bra, but it looks like it protected the paint. With all of the plastic on the front end of the IS, any rocks will actually eat into the plastic. To get that repaired assuming that you'll get alot of them over x years would result in having to replace the bumper which would probably be in the +1K range. I think it's worth it so far considering all of the dirt and bugs that have easily wiped off the clear bra. If I hadn't had it on, I imagine the front end would already be showing some wear.
Not to mention that especially with flake, aftermarket paint jobs never look as good as the factory paint. I did mine primarily for resale value. In 5+ years I want to be able to peel it off and sell the car for a bit more than what I might have gotton otherwise. Also, paint chips look much worse than a scuff in a "self-healing" poly plastic film. I had a chance to stretch detroy a piece of Venture film at my tint dealer. That stuff is amazing. If I didn't know any better.... I'd say it was invented by NASA
Old 02-06-06, 04:56 PM
geri&eric
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ahohnstein
Not to mention that especially with flake, aftermarket paint jobs never look as good as the factory paint. I did mine primarily for resale value. In 5+ years I want to be able to peel it off and sell the car for a bit more than what I might have gotton otherwise. Also, paint chips look much worse than a scuff in a "self-healing" poly plastic film. I had a chance to stretch detroy a piece of Venture film at my tint dealer. That stuff is amazing. If I didn't know any better.... I'd say it was invented by NASA

so it is removable? I've also heard that if you choose to remove it the paint may go with it. Here anything like this?
Old 02-06-06, 05:02 PM
lexus_x_2
Rookie

Default 3M Clear Bra

I'm having the 3M Clear Bra installed this weekend for $325.00 This includes hood, mirrors, fenders, but not the bumper. I'm covering the metal.

The bumber is an additional $300.00 for the kit and the installation. I'm not having the bumper done at this time.

IS350 Tungsten Pearl (Nav + Mark Levinson)
Old 02-06-06, 05:03 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by geri&eric
so it is removable? I've also heard that if you choose to remove it the paint may go with it. Here anything like this?
It's absolutely removable. You can peel it off anytime. The only time you'd have to worry about the paint coming off with the clear bra is if it was already chipped and touched up without giving it sufficient time to cure before putting on the bra.
Old 02-06-06, 05:05 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexus_x_2
I'm having the 3M Clear Bra installed this weekend for $325.00 This includes hood, mirrors, fenders, but not the bumper. I'm covering the metal.

The bumber is an additional $300.00 for the kit and the installation. I'm not having the bumper done at this time.

IS350 Tungsten Pearl (Nav + Mark Levinson)
I would highly recommend getting the bumper covered as well as that is the part that takes the brunt of the chips and scuffs.
Old 02-06-06, 05:10 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

overtime do the edges of the clear bra start gathering dirt so eventually you might see an outline of the clear bra because of the dirt
Old 02-06-06, 05:11 PM
mtnduc
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The guys at the shop, Alta Mere south location, I'm using here in Denver just quoted me $650 for Hood 18", bumper, front fender lips, mirrors, door handles and 35% tint all around all with lifetime warranty. They got the tint and hood done today and it looks great. You can barley see the line on the hood. I didn't have time to leave the car for the bumper so I'm taking it in tomorrow to have it finished off.
Old 02-06-06, 05:25 PM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
overtime do the edges of the clear bra start gathering dirt so eventually you might see an outline of the clear bra because of the dirt

In addition to the above, I was told by a friend who has a body shop for high end cars that after awhile the paint on the car will change color due to the outside elements but the paint under the clear bra stays the same. He says I definitely don't want to put on a clear bra. I value his opinion so I'm passing on the clear bra. Don't know if it is this climate that does it or bad workmanship/product used but I'll save some money there and pass on getting a clear bra.
Old 02-06-06, 05:36 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know about the tint, but I've put three clear bras on my cars - an `04 SC430, an `04 GX470, and an `05.5 A4 2.0 T Quattro - and each cost me $1K. The bras cover the hood, front bumper, headlights, fog lights, and side mirrors, and come with a lifetime guaranty. These things do what they are supposed to do. I have had no chips or damage to the front ends of any of my cars. Expensive? Yes, but not as expensive as the cars I'm protecting!
Old 02-06-06, 05:44 PM
JSK97VMI
Rookie

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
When mine starts to get dirty, you can see the edge of the clear bra, but once it's clean the edge is hard to notice unless get really close.
Old 02-06-06, 05:45 PM
geri&eric
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SGT
It's absolutely removable. You can peel it off anytime. The only time you'd have to worry about the paint coming off with the clear bra is if it was already chipped and touched up without giving it sufficient time to cure before putting on the bra.

so with that said, how would one remove it? Just peel it? If so, that means anyone can walk up to your car and just remove it?
Old 02-06-06, 05:58 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by is4me2
In addition to the above, I was told by a friend who has a body shop for high end cars that after awhile the paint on the car will change color due to the outside elements but the paint under the clear bra stays the same. He says I definitely don't want to put on a clear bra. I value his opinion so I'm passing on the clear bra. Don't know if it is this climate that does it or bad workmanship/product used but I'll save some money there and pass on getting a clear bra.
The alternative, then, is to be prepared to spend the amount you would have spent on a clear bra in much less time than it would take for the paint to "change color" to have your hood and front-end refinished due to chipping.

I see many high end cars - porsches and ferraris - being fitted with clear bras. Not to dispute your friend, but the benefits to these owners of having a clear bra must outweigh the probability of the paint on their cars changing.
Old 02-06-06, 06:22 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geri&eric
so with that said, how would one remove it? Just peel it? If so, that means anyone can walk up to your car and just remove it?
Yup, if someone wanted to mess with you, they could just grab an edge and peel it off like a fruit roll-up.
Old 02-06-06, 06:53 PM
JSK97VMI
Rookie

Originally Posted by SGT
Yup, if someone wanted to mess with you, they could just grab an edge and peel it off like a fruit roll-up.
I saw a thread somewhere where a guy took his Lexus to a car wash and left it there. He walked back to see the workers actually pulling some of it off. That would be painful to see.
Old 02-06-06, 06:57 PM
JSK97VMI
Rookie

Originally Posted by ahohnstein
That stuff is amazing. If I didn't know any better.... I'd say it was invented by NASA
I've heard that the military came up with the stuff to put on heliocopter blades while they're in the desert to protect them from sand. Someone then came up with an idea to put UV protectant on it and stick it on a car. I believe it's the same material that NASCAR uses on the tear-away windshields.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra and tint feedback NEEDED!