IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

WMA files, who's using them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-06, 09:28 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xsfo
LAME is a mp3 encoder. It encodes the audio off the cd into a mp3 file. You won't need to use LAME once you get a mp3 file unless you want to downconvert your mp3 for some reason. If you meant running an mp3 through mp3gain, you can use mp3gain at anytime after encoding, any number of times. It just modifies the volume nothing else.

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org is a good place to read up on the details of ripping and encoding. Look up using Exact Audio Copy (EAC) with LAME there and on google. There are guides for getting started with the two programs.

Again, great stuff! Think I'm FINALLY getting it... so you really only run LAME in the initial conversion from your discs to MP3 or WMA, doing so on a file already converted to MP3/WMA, ONLY changes the volume?
Old 02-06-06, 09:39 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

WMA is far superior to MP3 period. WMA encoded at 96kbps has an equivalent sound quality of MP3 encoded at 128kbps. An MP3 encoded at 64kbps is barely acceptable while WMA encoded at 64kbps is usually good enough for most people. This is a fact that has been demostrated by independent studies of signal losses from encoding at the same bitrates in the two formats--MP3 always loses more signals than WMA does, given the same bitrate.

I use WMA wherever possible. All MP3 players except iPod's nowadays play WMA anyway.
Old 02-06-06, 01:16 PM
xsfo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
WMA is far superior to MP3 period. WMA encoded at 96kbps has an equivalent sound quality of MP3 encoded at 128kbps. An MP3 encoded at 64kbps is barely acceptable while WMA encoded at 64kbps is usually good enough for most people.
I am not "most" people. I care about audio quality. I prefer using higher bitrates. If you listen to mp3s with good headphones you will notice the difference. At higher bitrates wma does not provide any appreciable improvement over mp3s. Other players may support wma, but if you have an iPod, and many if not most people have iPods for players, wma files are useless. mp3 player storage is getting cheap enough so there's no real reason to compress your music so much.

When you say 64kbps files are good enough for most people, it's like you're saying instant ramen is good enough for most people. If you like eating ramen all the time by all means have at it. I prefer to have my steak dinner, thank you very much.
Old 02-06-06, 01:18 PM
xsfo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ES3
so you really only run LAME in the initial conversion from your discs to MP3 or WMA, doing so on a file already converted to MP3/WMA, ONLY changes the volume?
Um, not quite. LAME converts audio files to mp3s. mp3gain changes the volume of mp3 files.
Old 02-07-06, 08:21 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

THX! While we're here, do you need specif software to burn MP3's onto DVD discs? Or should any cd-r burning software do the trick?
Old 02-07-06, 08:53 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Use iTunes. It just WORKS! Ripping, burning Audio and MP3 discs.

www.itunes.com
Old 02-07-06, 09:19 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TimboIS

www.itunes.com
Just not free though!
Old 02-07-06, 09:37 AM
xsfo
Pole Position

Default iTunes, meh...

iTunes has a mediocre mp3 encoder. And you can't play iTunes aac's in mp3 players.

Last edited by xsfo; 02-07-06 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-07-06, 09:43 AM
xsfo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ES3
do you need specif software to burn MP3's onto DVD discs? Or should any cd-r burning software do the trick?
It depends on what you're referring to. If you mean DVD-Audio (with 5.1 sound etc.), then I think you'll need a specialized program. I don't have any experience with DVD-Audio, just CDs etc. If you mean a DVD-ROM with mp3s on it (like a mp3 CD except on a DVD), then most burning programs can do that. Just burn a DVD-ROM with mp3s. Keep in mind people have said that you CANNOT use a mp3 DVD in the IS soundsystem.
Old 02-07-06, 09:49 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
Just not free though!
Huh, what are you taking about? Absolutely the iTunes software is FREE!

Originally Posted by xsfo
iTunes has a mediocre mp3 encoder. And you can't play iTunes aac's in mp3 players.
You can dial in any MP3 encoder settings you like, plus AAC is far superior to any WMA. You can play MP3s and AACs in any iPod. You mean there are other players?
Old 02-07-06, 11:20 AM
Darkgrey3k
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ES3
Thanks for the info... what I don't understand is how I select that I want them to burm in WMA format, from my cd burning software. On Roxio for instance I can choose between a data cd or a music cd. But under data, it doesn't seem to let me choose.

Also, have you found WMA files take up less space than MP3s?

With Roxio, Just select data disk and drop wma's & mp3's on it and burn. Works fine.
Old 02-07-06, 02:10 PM
xsfo
Pole Position

Huh, what are you taking about? Absolutely the iTunes software is FREE!

You can dial in any MP3 encoder settings you like, plus AAC is far superior to any WMA.
I think he meant buying music from iTunes is not free.

Using the same quality settings, the iTunes mp3 encoder does a worse job than LAME. Let me put it this way, no one raves about the encoding quality of iTunes encoded mp3s while LAME encoded mp3s get a lot of accolades. This is from people who take their music quality way more seriously than me. Go to http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php for more blather.

Finally, you CANNOT play aac files off cds in the IS so what's the point? Do you really want to keep multiple versions of songs? One for your precious iPod and one for everything else? What's with the fanboy-ism anyway TimbolS? iTunes has its place. But it's no miracle program. There are other programs that you can use. Except for buying from the iTunes store of course.