IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Would you use the CALIFORNIA CAR DUSTER

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-06, 09:54 PM
LSUFanMan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Would you use the CALIFORNIA CAR DUSTER

Please let me know your experience(s) with this product - the California Car Duster. Would you use this duster on a Black Onyx or dark colored IS? Does it ever leave surface scratches? Is this a good product to keep a black / dark colors clean between washes, or is there something better to use?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Old 02-01-06, 10:44 PM
Phillip31
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually just bought it last week coz i noticed that whenever i get my car washed, within a few days dust would collect and it is very noticeable on my Black onyx. I never really thought about it scratching the car or making swirl marks. It hasn't done it so far.
Old 02-01-06, 10:54 PM
LSUFanMan
Driver

That's what I'm looking for...thanks. It should NOT cause any scratching or anything, but I need to know from guys like yourself that are using The California Duster. What you said is exactly why I am thinking of buying one. When car gets just dusty between washes, this duster seems like a good product to suck that stuff off and extend your "just washed" shine for a while.

Black looks so #@&! good on the new IS. I was ready to order a SMG, which looks great, but then I saw an SMG and Black Onyx sitting side-by-side at dealership. It was all over...I'm in for Black Onyx and the extra work it takes to keep black looking good!!!

Last edited by LSUFanMan; 02-01-06 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-01-06, 10:55 PM
AgBlue
Pole Position

I had one before, and it seems soft enough, tho I would be scared that it would scratch too. Make sure you get the official kind, cuz I just a non brand one, and it leaves nothing but hairs all over the place. Well, thats nothing that driving at 60mph won't fix.. :-D

And mine doesn't seem to work well if the dust has been sitting for a few days. I guess it gets wet and sticks.

Oh and yeah.. GO LSU! <-- LSU Grad here..
Old 02-01-06, 10:55 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

I use one all the time on my 1961 convertible beetle and never had a problem. I haven't tried it on the IS yet because of the incessant rain here in the Pac NW.

I also just bought, and tried the California Water Blade. It worked very well, but in the light I now see thousands of fine scratches or swirls. It's guaranteed not to scratch, but I don't know. I'd be curious to see what other's experiences are with this as well.

Old 02-01-06, 11:02 PM
LSUFanMan
Driver

I have the California Water Blade too. It does work great, but I would not use it on black because it does seem to have made some fine surface scratches on my ES300. I think I'm seeing what you're seeing....fine scratches with the Water Blade.

Best, easiest to use dryer I've found is The Absorber. Works great, no lint, no possible scratching and easy to use and wring out. Give it a try; I think it's really good. Cost just $9.99 at Wal-Mart, Pep Boys, ect.

Last edited by LSUFanMan; 02-01-06 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-01-06, 11:19 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LSUFanMan
I have the California Water Blade too. It does work great, but I would not use it on black because it does seem to have made some fine surface scratches on my ES300. I think I'm seeing what you're seeing....fine scratches with the Water Blade.

Best, easiest to use dryer I've found is The Absorber. Works great, no lint, no possible scratching and easy to use and wring out. Give it a try; I think it's really good. Cost just $9.99 at Wal-Mart, Pep Boys, ect.
I've been using the absorber for years, but it still takes a lot of time to get it dry. The blade worked great, but once I looked at the paint surface in the light I could see thousands of little swirls in the paint that could have only come from the water blade. I think it would be fine on a lighter colored car.
Old 02-02-06, 05:57 AM
Langdell
Driver

I highly recommend the California Car Duster. I have used one for years, including on black and dark blue cars. It has never caused a scratch, and it helps certainly helps keep a dark car looking sharp between washes in dry weather. When I get my new black IS350, you can bet I will be using my trusty California Car Duster religiously. It's one of those rare products that actually works as advertised.
Old 02-02-06, 06:13 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

I bought one some 15 years ago and only used it a few times (it's still sitting in my garage). The reasons I stopped using it were 1. I was leery the dust trapped by and accumulated in the duster would scratch the paint; 2. the brush worked well on horizontal surfaces but not on the vertical surfaces (i.e. the side of the cars)--you wouldn't really want to use it on the lower 1/2 of the car where dirt kicked up by the tires stuck anyway; and 3. the paraftin on the duster (the material that attracts the dust) left smears on the glass. I do have to say it is superior to simple feather dusters that just move the dust from one part of the car to another.
Old 02-02-06, 11:10 AM
tjp
Rookie

I've been using the Calif Duster since they first came out after the big drought back in the 70's. They have never scratched my car. I make sure to use light pressure when dusting.
They only down side is when you firt use a new duster they have too much of that oily-waxy substance on the material and that can cause some streaking. If you get one of the good one, you can remove the mop from the handle and throw it in the washer. That gets rid of the oil and they still work great.
Old 02-02-06, 11:19 AM
brewkp4
Pole Position

What is the California Car Duster? I went to the website and they had many. What one or ones are you guys talking about?
Old 02-02-06, 11:33 AM
Langdell
Driver

Originally Posted by brewkp4
What is the California Car Duster? I went to the website and they had many. What one or ones are you guys talking about?
The original is the one I, and I believe the original poster, meant: http://calcarduster.com/originalDuster.asp
Old 02-02-06, 12:22 PM
LSUFanMan
Driver

Langdell,
Correct-a-mun-do from the poster. Thanks for the link!
Old 02-02-06, 12:55 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have one and never had any problems with it. I wash it once in a while and have thrown one away when it got really dirty. It does an o.k. job between washes...
Old 02-02-06, 01:05 PM
batmbl
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kamikaze2b
I use one all the time on my 1961 convertible beetle and never had a problem. I haven't tried it on the IS yet because of the incessant rain here in the Pac NW.

I also just bought, and tried the California Water Blade. It worked very well, but in the light I now see thousands of fine scratches or swirls. It's guaranteed not to scratch, but I don't know. I'd be curious to see what other's experiences are with this as well.

Avoid it like the plague if you value your finish! It's a nice concept, but it will scratch -- can't help it.

Quick Reply: Would you use the CALIFORNIA CAR DUSTER