foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes...it's on demand i do it while accelerating etc..no biggie
Old 01-31-06, 01:19 AM
AgBlue
Pole Position

Yes I too have much enjoyed and burned many gallons playing with the PWR button. Also, I've learned that using the Snow button is helpful in traffic jams on the interstate. Much less sensitivity, and is good when i need to move a bit faster than coasting.
Old 01-31-06, 09:36 AM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AgBlue
Yes I too have much enjoyed and burned many gallons playing with the PWR button. Also, I've learned that using the Snow button is helpful in traffic jams on the interstate. Much less sensitivity, and is good when i need to move a bit faster than coasting.
Great suggestion...I'll have to remember that one.
Old 01-31-06, 10:12 AM
Soda
Pole Position

I have driven w/the PWR button on since I noticed the car had it.. (bout 2 days after I bought it) and I really like it especially coming from an S2000. It holds gears longer, and is always ready to go..and when you brake it downshifts and it doesn't go unnoticed! My boyfriend turns it off when he drives my car cause he thinks it's too jumpy, lol.
Old 01-31-06, 11:55 AM
gshb
Lead Lap

Pretty smart...I'll have to try that (plenty of chance on the 405)..
Old 01-31-06, 03:44 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gshb
Pretty smart...I'll have to try that (plenty of chance on the 405)..
Ya, great suggestion. If PWR = low mileage and normal = better, then SNOW should = even better mileage! The aggressive tuning just doesn't make sense for all driving conditions... Maybe they should rename the modes sport, normal, and economy, or something like that...
Old 01-31-06, 04:49 PM
obiwan66
Driver School Candidate

I played with this a couple of weeks ago. The car is more Jekyl than hyde when its on. I like on better I only saw a 1mpg difference over a week (1 tank) average... Not bad.
Old 01-31-06, 06:31 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

I would suspect the difference between on/off in this case may have something to do with how you broke the car in. For instance I followed the manual's recommendations pretty closely, very little heavy acceleration for the first 621 miles. So in the auto mode, my car upshifts almost every 700rpm, when I hit the ect/pwr button this thing holds HUGELY and it's like day and night!
Old 02-01-06, 02:12 PM
mslatter
Driver School Candidate

Does it also change the valve timing? I haven't played much, but when I have, it seemed to me that it *cough* VTEC*cough* ed earlier.
Old 02-01-06, 02:39 PM
Cypren
Driver

Also, I've learned that using the Snow button is helpful in traffic jams on the interstate.
Maybe it's just my bad memory, but doesn't the manual state that the snow mode disengages once the car reaches 30 MPH? Seems like you'd need to be in a real parking-lot traffic jam to take advantage of it.
Old 02-01-06, 02:46 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cypren
Maybe it's just my bad memory, but doesn't the manual state that the snow mode disengages once the car reaches 30 MPH? Seems like you'd need to be in a real parking-lot traffic jam to take advantage of it.
perhaps you are thinking of traction control. I always thought Snow mode just means you start off from a higher gear (second, for example).
Old 02-01-06, 03:16 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cypren
If you turn off TRAC, it re-engages when you hit 30mph (verifiy the speed, I'm quoting from memory).

Snow mode would, I imagine, make more use of traction control to limit wheel slip, and probably also makes VDIM more sensitive, but that's conjecture on my part. It may just start things off in 2nd gear and call it a day.
Old 02-01-06, 03:39 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

I have played with the power button before, but just here and there whenever I wanted to race someone or something. But I was doing a lot of driving today and figured I would leave it on all day and see what happens. All I have to say is damn!!! It's a big difference in the way the car reacts to your actions. Like when I brake on the interstate, it will downshift to 4th to help me slow down and also to have that power already there when i'm ready to speed up again. It feels like there is more power standing by all the time when you are cruising down the street. But I did see the gas guage drop faster than usual too...... I'll wait until I fill up again and see how much of a difference it was.
Old 02-02-06, 11:01 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Payam
But I did see the gas guage drop faster than usual too...... I'll wait until I fill up again and see how much of a difference it was.
Yikes, tell me about it, I swear I've watched the gas guage MOVE! But it's OH so fun with the ect/power button on!
Old 02-03-06, 12:19 AM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Does the IS "learn" your driving style? I've had several vehicles in the past that were able to learn your driving habits and adapted to them. Does the IS have such a feature?

Quick Reply: ECT PWR button