IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus XM Dealer Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-06, 09:37 PM
Kermee
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by consult350
FYI - ALL / EVERY Music channel on XM is from a CC programed channel and or directed by a CC list or program. CC is the number one investor in XM.
I'm not so sure about that. AFAIK, CC only has a 3% stake in XMSR. GM and DirecTV actually have a much larger stake in XMSR than CC. Also, the only music channel which has any of CC's influence is XM Channel 21, which is a feed of KISS FM in L.A.

A lot of misinformation was thrown out in the XM vs. Sirius crowd...

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 02-04-06, 06:06 AM
saske
Rookie

Originally Posted by BobsGX
I read that if you are located in the northern half of the US that Sirius would give better reception due to the location of their satellites. Anyone hear different?
Hey Bob,
I don't think that you would be able to tell the difference between the two providers because of location. I was in Montana, about 100 miles from the Canadian border and i didn't notice any difference between the signal there and where I live in Arizona. Any hopefully with a good install and placement of the antenna in the IS, there should be no problems.

Sean
Old 02-04-06, 07:40 AM
zevious
Driver School Candidate

Not to highjack the thread but...

Can you show me a link to the information that states that CC programs the XM channels?

Also, can you show me a link that shows how much state CC has in XM?

I think both of these claims are wrong. If I'm wrong, I'd like to get the real data.

Thanks
Old 02-07-06, 03:55 PM
s1ick
Driver School Candidate

Default XM radio

I just got home from the dealer with my new XM radio, Its all setup and working great.
Old 02-07-06, 05:19 PM
brewkp4
Pole Position

For those who cannot decide between Sirius and XM..... if you go to their websites you can do a free 2 (or 3?) day free trial on your computer. Do one at the beginning of the week and the other at the end. Although I do not think the free trial offers every single available channel it gives you enough to get a good enough taste. I think the trial is pretty nice....you dont need to give a credit card number or anything.....

For those who have already installed the receiver and has their SAT radios working could you please post pics of the navigation screen to show how you would cycle through channels and such....and please could you post pics of the antenna also too.
Old 02-07-06, 05:35 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

antenna pic....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...73&postcount=6
Old 02-07-06, 05:59 PM
brewkp4
Pole Position

thanks....I read the thread right after I posted the above message
Old 02-07-06, 07:13 PM
saske
Rookie

Hey Foxberry,
What an ordeal I had today. I drove all the way to Lubbock, 2 hours, and dropped off my car for the install. They called me 2.5 hrs later and said that they didn't have the second box with the receiver in it. They just had the install kit. They felt terrible about it, knowing that I live so far away and they gave me a 2006 ES330 to drive home in. They said that they are having the other box overnighted for install tomorrow and they will have someone bring my car back to Amarillo for me. A bit of a hassle but I understand mistakes happen and they took care of me without me having to ask for a thing. Alderson Lexus is great! Can't wait for my XM and I will post pics of the display on the Nav when I get it back.
My question for you Foxberry is about your antenna placement. Do you ever plan on getting your windows tinted? I wanted them to place it on the deck in the back but with the tint I have, I didn't want any reception issues. What are your thoughts?

Sean
Old 02-07-06, 07:28 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Hi Saske...I was actually thinking something like that was going to happen to me, but fortunately everything went smooth. The XM sounds fantastic! I also has an 06 ES330 (white) as my loaner. I don't think I will be getting my windows tinted and I'm not really sure how much your tint will affect reception. Let me know how it goes tomorrow and where you decide to have it mounted. Good luck!
Old 02-07-06, 08:51 PM
lexus_x_2
Rookie

Default XM Install

I checked earlier tonight and the instructions were not available, but I just checked again and what do you know, they are now available.

It mounts in the trunk, so at least you will not have to take the Nav apart. Instead of putting the antenna on the top of the trunk (like they suggest), I prefer it goes inside the car on the back shelf next to the brake light. Make sense?

XM Install instructions are now available on http://techinfo.lexus.com
Old 02-07-06, 09:42 PM
evren
Rookie

Will dealers generally cooperate if one buys the official kit through the web (through lexus-parts) and asks them to install it?
Old 02-07-06, 10:27 PM
saske
Rookie

I'm sure they will but I would expect the intsallation charge to be aprox. $200 to $400. When you buy XM from the dealership now, they say they charge around $600 to $800 for XM to be purchased and installed.
Old 02-08-06, 06:26 AM
consult350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kermee
I'm not so sure about that. AFAIK, CC only has a 3% stake in XMSR. GM and DirecTV actually have a much larger stake in XMSR than CC. Also, the only music channel which has any of CC's influence is XM Channel 21, which is a feed of KISS FM in L.A.

A lot of misinformation was thrown out in the XM vs. Sirius crowd...

Cheers,
Kermee
Been there (DC), asked the question about programming.
Old 02-08-06, 06:42 AM
consult350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zevious
Not to highjack the thread but...

Can you show me a link to the information that states that CC programs the XM channels?

Also, can you show me a link that shows how much state CC has in XM?

I think both of these claims are wrong. If I'm wrong, I'd like to get the real data.

Thanks
I hope this helps......

CC does have agreements with XM. I had a chance to visit the XM headquarters and asked the questions about programming. CC has had many ads running on terestrial radio for the past few years. As one XM employee said why would CC run ads for XM if agreements weren't in place. MANY MANY TIMES on CC top stations you can turn to XM and hear the same set of songs in order as they played on CC stations. CC does do consulting work and has many spin off companys which perform radio ratings and play lists such as Critical Mass Media. They do trade information back and forth on trends in the market place.

I have both XM and Sirius in cars and at home. Both are good. I do tend to lean toward Sirius for the music and offerings. Both have ups and downs.
Old 02-08-06, 09:01 AM
pumper
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexus_x_2
I checked earlier tonight and the instructions were not available, but I just checked again and what do you know, they are now available.

It mounts in the trunk, so at least you will not have to take the Nav apart. Instead of putting the antenna on the top of the trunk (like they suggest), I prefer it goes inside the car on the back shelf next to the brake light. Make sense?

XM Install instructions are now available on http://techinfo.lexus.com
linky no worky

pumper

Quick Reply: Lexus XM Dealer Install