IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus XM Dealer Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-06, 09:16 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm hoping those dealerships are correct and that whoever my dealer spoke to at the factory is just misinformed (fingers crossed).
Old 01-27-06, 10:27 PM
s1ick
Driver School Candidate

I called my dealer today in Minneapolis and they told me the release date is now March for XM. I also purchased it when I got the car in November. But I don't think they will know for sure until the day the parts arrive.
Old 01-31-06, 02:06 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

saske, any update? you still getting the xm installation tomorrow?
Old 02-02-06, 06:38 PM
lexus_x_2
Rookie

Originally Posted by s1ick
I called my dealer today in Minneapolis and they told me the release date is now March for XM. I also purchased it when I got the car in November. But I don't think they will know for sure until the day the parts arrive.
I ordered the XM fit kit for $99.00 and the XM Receiver for $199.00 today (February 2, 2006) from a Lexus Dealer in the Milwaukee area. It should arrive at the dealer tomorrow. I'm having a friend do the install.

Look for an update tomorrow.
Old 02-02-06, 06:40 PM
Sv.Tequila
Driver

Originally Posted by lexus_x_2
I ordered the XM fit kit for $99.00 and the XM Receiver for $199.00 today (February 2, 2006) from a Lexus Dealer in the Milwaukee area. It should arrive at the dealer tomorrow. I'm having a friend do the install.

Look for an update tomorrow.
Is it going to be a sharkfin? or that little black box? THANKS
Old 02-02-06, 09:23 PM
saske
Rookie

Foxberry,
No update yet. I had my dealer check on it the other day and he said that the status is still showing as available. It didn't show up on Tuesday as expected so as soon as it arrives, I will get it installed. i told him that someone else called Lexus directly and that they said it wouldn't be available until March. He said that he double checked and that it should be here. We will see!

I'll let you know.

Sean
Old 02-03-06, 06:35 AM
Lenscap
Driver

Originally Posted by Sv.Tequila
Is it going to be a sharkfin? or that little black box? THANKS
It cannot be the sharkfin. That is something that would require drilling a hole in the roof to have it wired. You will only see a fixed antenna such as a shark fin on a car factory equipped, and the factory installs are not available and no date has been set.

Of course, once the factory installs are available it is only a guess that the sharkfin used in Japan will come over here. It is possible another antenna system could be used that we do not yet know about. Then again, we may get the sharkfin (which I am hoping for).
Old 02-03-06, 07:14 AM
marmont
Driver School Candidate

agreed, i would only go for an XM/Sirus deal if i could get the sharkfin antenna.

also just a quick question,

Why did you chose XM over Sirus (or vica versa)?
Old 02-03-06, 07:36 AM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Thanks Saske...I received a call from my dealership yesterday that they have the package in hand! They were pissed that they were told by the factory last week they couldn't get them until March. I'm bringing my car in first thing Monday morning for the install. Mine will be the first IS that my dealership (Ray Catena Monmouth in NJ) will be doing the sat. radio install in, so I am a guinea pig of sorts!
Old 02-03-06, 08:44 AM
consult350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by marmont
agreed, i would only go for an XM/Sirus deal if i could get the sharkfin antenna.

I agree. The "new antenna" on the inside windshield Lexus is bringing to the table will be nice to finally see.
Old 02-03-06, 08:47 AM
saske
Rookie

Glad to hear it Foxberry. I am hoping too that my install will take place on Monday. My dealer emailed me today and said that the units are in the Dallas distribution center and he doesn't know why they haven't been delivered to him yet. Looks like we are both going to be the guinea pigs! Did he say if the antenna is the same as the GS or where they are planning on installing it? I was curious because if it is going to be installed on the outside as opposed to inside, I was going to see if they could paint it GFM for me to match the body color. I doubt they will be able to do it, but it is worth a shot. Let me know!

Sean
Old 02-03-06, 08:51 AM
consult350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Lexus-parts has the instructions for install online. Yow, it looks like a pain!

Any link available?
Old 02-03-06, 08:52 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxberry
Thanks Saske...I received a call from my dealership yesterday that they have the package in hand! They were pissed that they were told by the factory last week they couldn't get them until March. I'm bringing my car in first thing Monday morning for the install. Mine will be the first IS that my dealership (Ray Catena Monmouth in NJ) will be doing the sat. radio install in, so I am a guinea pig of sorts!
When you get it back, please post pictures of the install, especially the antenna.

Was the satellite radio negotiated as part of the new car purchase? If not, how much is Ray Catena charging for the parts and install?
Old 02-03-06, 09:01 AM
saske
Rookie

Originally Posted by marmont

Hey Marmot,
I like XM over Sirius because of the technology that XM uses. XM also has many more terestrial (sp?) sites that make the loss of signal less likely, especially in areas with obstructions like taller buildings. XM's technology is a bit cleaner and they also offer 160 channels vs. Sirius's 120. This is from CNET: "As we mentioned in the XM section, audiophiles will probably be slightly less disappointed in XM than in Sirius. XM's treble is still cleaner, and its stereo separation is wider than Sirius's."
Just my two cents but it will come down your personal tastes.

For a more professional opinion, check out this link:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6466_7-5068442-1.html

Sean
Old 02-03-06, 09:40 AM
Langdell
Driver

I chose XM because of Howard Stern.

Quick Reply: Lexus XM Dealer Install