IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus XM Dealer Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-06, 03:38 PM
saske
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Issue or Nav issue?

Does anyone know if the issue is a limitation of the data that XM sends to the head unit or just the nav that cuts off the characters? I don't think that my delphi displays the entire song title or artist name if it is too long. The delphi even has a moving title, meaning that it scrolls from right to left showing the song title. I will have to go out to my other car and see if the scrolling title cuts off the title too. I'll post when I find out.
Old 02-11-06, 06:09 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by saske
Hey Foxberry,
How are you liking your XM? Very few downsides from my point of view and so many great benefits. Has your reception been good with your antenna in the back? I haven't had any dropped signals so I'll probably leave mine where it is for now.
Did you activate the service on your own or was it activated when you got it? I ask because when I set it all up, there was no mention of 3 free months like some other car companies advertise. I know that the Civic SI with Nav has XM installed already from the factory and it includes 3 free months. That is the car I was going to get before the IS but due to lack of availability, we went with the IS.
Hi Saske...I've actually been an XM customer for about a year now and have always loved it, but it was always via the Roady and Roady2, so there were wires all over the place and the sound quality wasn't the best. The clean look and sound quality of the hardwired factory equipment just can't be beat!

Reception has been fine with the antenna on the back shelf...no dropping of signal as of yet.

When I picked the car up, I called XM customer service to transfer my membership from my Roady to the Lexus receiver. Since I was already an XM customer, I'm guessing I would not have qualified for the 3 free months, but there was no mention of it by my dealership.

How are you enjoying it so far?
Old 02-13-06, 07:19 AM
consult350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by saske
Does anyone know if the issue is a limitation of the data that XM sends to the head unit or just the nav that cuts off the characters? I don't think that my delphi displays the entire song title or artist name if it is too long. The delphi even has a moving title, meaning that it scrolls from right to left showing the song title. I will have to go out to my other car and see if the scrolling title cuts off the title too. I'll post when I find out.
Limits on title and data is a issue with the XM software and hardware and very per radio unit. Sirius in all the units I have had (4) scroll the full data while (3) XM units do not. Not having Scrolling data is one of the biggest complaints on XM radios since the begining. Again it is a limit on the XM software and hardware not a Lexus issue.

I guess we will find out what Sirius has instored for the IS units. I would be surprised if it did not scroll data.
Old 02-13-06, 07:58 AM
smtymagoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by consult350
Limits on title and data is a issue with the XM software and hardware and very per radio unit. Sirius in all the units I have had (4) scroll the full data while (3) XM units do not. Not having Scrolling data is one of the biggest complaints on XM radios since the begining. Again it is a limit on the XM software and hardware not a Lexus issue.

I guess we will find out what Sirius has instored for the IS units. I would be surprised if it did not scroll data.

speaking of which... has anyone been able to order the sirius parts yet?
Old 02-14-06, 11:38 AM
consult350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by smtymagoo
not that we know of
Old 02-14-06, 03:59 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smtymagoo
according to parts department, some time in March.
Old 02-17-06, 08:30 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That antenna they give you looks just like the Delphi antenna that comes with the Skyfi car kit. I was looking at the IS on the Japanese Lexus website and their model comes with the sharkfin antenna mounted on the roof. I wonder what that is for?

As far as drop outs go, I've had my XM antenna mounted in my Integra on the passenger side of the dash right next to the A pillar and the only time I've really lost signal is when I go into parking garages. It did kinda go in and out when I was down in Key West a couple of months ago.
Old 02-17-06, 09:29 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ecr527
That antenna they give you looks just like the Delphi antenna that comes with the Skyfi car kit. I was looking at the IS on the Japanese Lexus website and their model comes with the sharkfin antenna mounted on the roof. I wonder what that is for?
G-Link. .