IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Installing foglights on the IS350

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-06, 10:34 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts
Question Installing foglights on the IS350

I just got a pair of NOKYA 9006 2500K hyper yellow bulbs that I would like to replace the factory fog light bulbs with. Anyone know how to replace them?
Attached Images  
Old 01-25-06, 10:39 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
I just got a pair of NOKYA 9006 2500K hyper yellow bulbs that I would like to replace the factory fog light bulbs with. Anyone know how to replace them?
My guess would be remove the old ones and put the new ones in. The easiest thing to do would be to crawl under the front valence and look.... they're probably easily accessible from the back.
Old 01-25-06, 10:43 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Well I found this:

"The eaisest way is to access the fog light housing from behind the bumper. Just tilt your wheel in to get some room, fully remove 2 of the push in screws and unscrew the philips head one on the bottom of the bumper, pry out the plastic gurard (use a flat head screwdriver carefully) and you can get access to the back of the bulb. Rotate counterclockwise and you're in business."

Also found this:
"Driver side- There is an access cover underneath on the drivers side. Remove two plastic clips by prying out center of clip with a small screw driver. There is also a round rubber cover in the same location for access to adjustment screw for fog light.(Adjustment screw is for aiming)
Passenger side- you'll need to pull back the black plastic cover under the fog light or wheel well to gain access. "

Anyone have more details or other methods of doing this? Tips/tricks?
Old 01-25-06, 10:45 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by heffergm
My guess would be remove the old ones and put the new ones in. The easiest thing to do would be to crawl under the front valence and look.... they're probably easily accessible from the back.
Wise guy.
Old 01-25-06, 12:03 PM
GSE25
Lead Lap

I've made 3 attempts to install those same bulbs in my fogs as well but I simply could not pull the wheel well cover back enough to take out the stock bulb. I've literally taken out all the visible bolts and the 2 clips and pried the plastic cover back the best i can but still no luck. It would be great if someone could post a video of the procedure cuz I've followed those same steps.. :|
Old 01-25-06, 12:20 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GSE25
I've made 3 attempts to install those same bulbs in my fogs as well but I simply could not pull the wheel well cover back enough to take out the stock bulb. I've literally taken out all the visible bolts and the 2 clips and pried the plastic cover back the best i can but still no luck. It would be great if someone could post a video of the procedure cuz I've followed those same steps.. :|
Ahh man I don't want to hear this just before going home to try installing them myself.
Old 01-25-06, 12:24 PM
silver250
Driver

just pry it out really hard without scratching anything........... you might have to bend the plastic cover a little but dont worry its plastic, just bend it back............shouldnt be too hard
Old 01-25-06, 01:57 PM
dnszoom
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSE25
GSE, you want to hook up this weekend and try to figure it out? Two sets of hands might be better...
Old 01-25-06, 02:10 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
Well I found this:

"The eaisest way is to access the fog light housing from behind the bumper. Just tilt your wheel in to get some room, fully remove 2 of the push in screws and unscrew the philips head one on the bottom of the bumper, pry out the plastic gurard (use a flat head screwdriver carefully) and you can get access to the back of the bulb. Rotate counterclockwise and you're in business."

Also found this:
"Driver side- There is an access cover underneath on the drivers side. Remove two plastic clips by prying out center of clip with a small screw driver. There is also a round rubber cover in the same location for access to adjustment screw for fog light.(Adjustment screw is for aiming)
Passenger side- you'll need to pull back the black plastic cover under the fog light or wheel well to gain access. "

Anyone have more details or other methods of doing this? Tips/tricks?

I had a difficult time with the drivers side hole from under the vehicle. I did not use a jack so the angle was very bad. I recommend going through the fender wells. Remove all visible clips and screws, and gently pry/pull the lining out. If the wheel is in your way, you may have to remove it.

This was my first mod. I am using the same bulb.
Old 01-25-06, 02:27 PM
GSE25
Lead Lap

dnszoom, shoot me a pm for location, time, etc.
I lifted the car up with a jack but the problem is the bottom clip would simply not come out. There's something under the passenger side that is holding back the plastic.
Old 01-25-06, 04:21 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

I didn't physically change mine myself, but I watched my friend do it. The drivers side had the access panel but the passenger side he had to take out a whole lot of screws and clips then really pull hard on the plastics to get enough room. He installed HID lights down there so he needed even more room. But the lights do look good now.
Old 06-03-06, 08:55 AM
JoesIS250
Driver

cayman,

how are these nokyas. Ive been thinking of getting these as well however i noticed that the wattage of these are 70watts and our foglights are at 55 so would there be a problem ? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-09-06, 05:05 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing FogLights

Guys,

according to the dealership service manual the entire front bumper needs to be removed to replace the foglight bulbs. I have the diagrams - etc, will try to scan and post them later, but I am not very happy with the prospect of taking the bumper off just to change the bulbs to PIAA Ion crystal yellows.

I was hoping this thread would've had better news for me, but thought I'd tell you what I know so far.
Old 06-09-06, 05:53 PM
Tmirk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Johnny Mo
Guys,

according to the dealership service manual the entire front bumper needs to be removed to replace the foglight bulbs. I have the diagrams - etc, will try to scan and post them later, but I am not very happy with the prospect of taking the bumper off just to change the bulbs to PIAA Ion crystal yellows.

I was hoping this thread would've had better news for me, but thought I'd tell you what I know so far.
Then I guess prying my inner fenders out to install my HID fogs was a bad idea? LOL. What could/should be a 5 minute job at home now will cost what an hour or two of labor at the dealer. Nice way to get the dealers some dough.

It takes me less than 5 minutes per side to pop that thing open, and closed now, as I've been back in a couple times to change/check on my ballast mounting.

Literally 2 plastic clips that go half turn, and 3 10mm bolts (could get away with only 2) then just a bit of creative pushing and prying to get it to go.
Old 06-09-06, 07:12 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing fog light bulbs

Well I just finished - took me about an hour...I didn't have the full instructions for removal of the bumper and found 2 (1 each side) more bolts up inside the fender wells - which slowed me down a bit. I put a blanket down in front of the car on the garage floor - removed the engine duct cover, then the bolts along the bottom front of the bumper (4 per side) Then it was a few tugs and pulls and off she came. I would recommend if you do this (I did anyway just to be safe) to put some painters tape along the edges of where the bumper and fender meet. The bumper falls forward - so be sure to have a clean/padded blanket to minimize scratching against the garage floor.

The PIAA HB ion yellows seem to be the correct bulb, although I definitely noticed the lugs on the light socket were slightly smaller than the factory Sylvania bulbs. They work - but I'm not so sure it was worth the extra effort...much more to go wrong and get misaligned by complete bumper removal. Didn't take pics along the way, camera battery was dead and I didn't want to wait.

Oh yeah - I think the reason it is such a pain to do, is to try and mitigate some of the stolen HID issues that plauged other vehicles, and some Lexus models as well. Not everything is done to ensure the dealers make money. In all fairness I had my GX for 3+ years and only one of my DRL's burned out. I just think they don't expect the bulbs to go often enough to make them user servicable.

Last edited by Johnny Mo; 06-09-06 at 07:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Installing foglights on the IS350