IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Which is faster...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-06, 11:03 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is faster...?

Anybody know if there is any difference 0-60 or 1/4 mile times when you use the paddle shift vs normal automatic mode? I see the various times in the car mags, but they never say in which modes those times were achieved.
Old 01-24-06, 11:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Kamikaze2b
Anybody know if there is any difference 0-60 or 1/4 mile times when you use the paddle shift vs normal automatic mode? I see the various times in the car mags, but they never say in which modes those times were achieved.
it's all the same auto tranny. if done right i don't think it's going to be different
Old 01-25-06, 12:03 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sportshift is better for deceleration and handling curves so you can control where the power band is at... not really driving in a straight line
Old 01-25-06, 12:18 AM
Phillip31
Pole Position

That's what i was wondering too...which one is better for straight line racing

Using paddle shifters or normal auto mode with the ECT PWR ON???

The only upside i see with paddle shifters is that you could choose a lower gear so you could have more torque right away, but having the ECT PWR ON in normal auto mode might be better since the computer could most probably shift better than me.

This brings up another question. When put in to sport mode will that override the ECT PWR since im the one choosing the gears now. So is there no point in turning on the ect pwr when put in S-mode?

Last edited by Phillip31; 01-25-06 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-25-06, 12:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Phillip31
That's what i was wondering too...which one is better for straight line racing

Using paddle shifters or normal auto mode with the ECT PWR ON???

The only upside i see with paddle shifters is that you could choose a lower gear so you could have more torque right away, but having the ECT PWR ON in normal auto mode might be better since the computer could most probably shift better than me.

This brings up another question. When put in to sport mode will that override the ECT PWR since im the one choosing the gears now. So is there no point in turning on the ect pwr when put in S-mode?
put the car in pwr and D, and just floor it and let it shifts at redline. as long as your food is all the way down, it will shift at redline
Old 01-25-06, 05:08 AM
dnszoom
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
put the car in pwr and D, and just floor it and let it shifts at redline. as long as your food is all the way down, it will shift at redline

I believe that most of the people who have had the chance to experiment with different setups at the strip have acheived their best times by letting the car do the work. As rominl states, PWR, D and mash it (not sure about TRAC or the VDIM hack).
Old 01-25-06, 06:56 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dnszoom

I believe that most of the people who have had the chance to experiment with different setups at the strip have acheived their best times by letting the car do the work. As rominl states, PWR, D and mash it (not sure about TRAC or the VDIM hack).
But wouldn't it be better to force it to start in 1st? Or does it do that normally in ECT PWR mode?
Old 01-25-06, 07:03 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by diablo1
But wouldn't it be better to force it to start in 1st? Or does it do that normally in ECT PWR mode?
Yes, PWR selection will start in first gear.
Old 01-25-06, 09:00 AM
Jimmer350
Driver

I was going to ask about this too. If I have the car in "S" mode does it matter if ECT power is on or off?? If I'm in "S" mode, I don't downshift and I floor it so it drops down a gear for me wouldn't having ECT power on make a difference here? What exactly does ECT do??
Old 01-25-06, 09:26 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by dnszoom

My guess is that brake torquing the launch would probably cut a tenth or two off your times, but I'm certainly not going to abuse my car like that.
Old 01-25-06, 09:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by diablo1
i thought unless youare in snow mode, the car always starts in 1st (or maybe when the car is cold it starts in 2nd). at least that's the case in prev gen gs
Old 01-25-06, 09:52 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
i thought unless youare in snow mode, the car always starts in 1st (or maybe when the car is cold it starts in 2nd). at least that's the case in prev gen gs
That may be right. We should all drive around with the trip computer display on "gear selection" for a few days, to see what gear it chooses when...
Old 01-25-06, 05:32 PM
eg6turbo
Rookie

i think in auto mode its faster...there is a slight lag in manual mode....but damn that ect button is crazy...makes such a big difference in shifting and acceleration...my old cressida had that ect button too lol...
Old 01-25-06, 08:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by eg6turbo
i think in auto mode its faster...there is a slight lag in manual mode....but damn that ect button is crazy...makes such a big difference in shifting and acceleration...my old cressida had that ect button too lol...
the lag is from you press the pedal to the actual shifting right? then that shouldn't be any difference coz' the shifting itself is just as fast. that's why for example in my gs4, i need to learn how to shift a tad earlier to time well
Old 01-26-06, 07:06 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

For normal driving I usually do not use PWR because I assume you get worse gas mileage in that setting. Does anyone know if this is true (or should be true)?

Quick Reply: Which is faster...?