Oh no- check engine light and check VSC

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-06, 08:54 AM
mmaniaci
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh no- check engine light and check VSC

I have a IS250 AWD:

After only a month and only 1000 miles, my check engine light and check VSC came on. I dropped my car off at the dealership and then a few hours later lexus called me and described the same exact problem that is mentioned here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=check+engine

It makes me kinda nervous that there was gas in the oil ( or could be ) and it seems like the problem could or will return... how would you guys handle the situation or what are your thoughts?

Mike
Old 01-23-06, 09:02 AM
IS350spBLK
Driver

Wow thats a surprise coming from lexus, now only makes me wounder if it was worth the extra $$. I would def keep going back to the dealer to get it check out to see if it continues. Well good luck, hopefully its only a one time thing.
Old 01-23-06, 09:05 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

damn that sucks.

what is VSC????
Old 01-23-06, 09:07 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by shaolin
damn that sucks.

what is VSC????
Vehicle Skid Control.
Old 01-23-06, 09:59 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by heffergm
Vehicle Skid Control.
For a little more info:

Vehicle Skid Control (VSC) senses the onset of loss of lateral traction and helps the driver stay on track. Input from four wheel-speed sensors, a yaw-rate (directional) sensor, a deceleration sensor, and a steering-wheel-angle sensor is communicated to the VSC computer. The system has the ability to reduce power and to control the brake actuator. Working with both ABS and TRAC, the VSC system helps the driver to compensate for loss of lateral traction, which can cause skids and loss of vehicle control. Lexus Vehicle Skid Control (VSC) is an electronic system designed to help the driver maintain vehicle control under adverse conditions. It is not a substitute for safe driving practices. Factors including speed, road conditions and driver steering input can all affect whether VSC will be effective in preventing a loss of control.
Old 01-23-06, 10:44 AM
mmaniaci
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS350spBLK
Wow thats a surprise coming from lexus, now only makes me wounder if it was worth the extra $$. I would def keep going back to the dealer to get it check out to see if it continues. Well good luck, hopefully its only a one time thing.
Couldn't gas in the oil cause permanent damage to the engine? Also, as if I wanted to bring my car into the shop all the time, I would've got a used dodge neon or something, not a lexus...

mike
Old 01-23-06, 10:47 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmaniaci
Couldn't gas in the oil cause permanent damage to the engine? Also, as if I wanted to bring my car into the shop all the time, I would've got a used dodge neon or something, not a lexus...

mike
Gas in the oil is bad for a variety of reasons, the main one being it dilutes your oil and basically decreases it's ability to lubricate the bearings and other surfaces that need a viscous surface between them.

Your car would have to be running ridiculously rich to end up with gas in your oil. That, or you've got an inginition problem. Cylinder misfiring, leaking injectors, something along those lines.

Gas has a pretty potent odor. Pull your dipstick and take a whiff....
Old 01-23-06, 11:58 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gas in engine oil CAN be bad, but old radial aircraft engines used oil dilution for years on shut down to allow them to start in cold weather. By the time they reached operating temperatures the gas would have evaporated. On todays modern closed engines it probably would cause more harm than good. Now, leaking injectors, yea, I'd put money on that for sure.
Old 01-23-06, 12:09 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just to throw in my own problem I had. I too once had the check engine light and VSC light come on in my wifes 04 RX330 last year. I called the dealer, made an appointment, but the earliest they could take me in was a week later. The next day all the lights went off. Finally when it reached the dealer they couldn't diagnose the problem because the check engine lights were off and no codes were stored. Nothing was done and I haven't seen the problem again since yet. Like some of the others, gas or gas cap probably wasn't the problem because it was at least 1/2 way though a tank. Anyway, the service manager said they did see this same problem come up before but didn't really know what it was.
Old 01-23-06, 02:11 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmaniaci
I have a IS250 AWD:

After only a month and only 1000 miles, my check engine light and check VSC came on. I dropped my car off at the dealership and then a few hours later lexus called me and described the same exact problem that is mentioned here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=check+engine

It makes me kinda nervous that there was gas in the oil ( or could be ) and it seems like the problem could or will return... how would you guys handle the situation or what are your thoughts?

Mike
Keep us informed on what happends. Hopefully its not anything major.
Old 01-23-06, 02:25 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
For a little more info:

Vehicle Skid Control (VSC) senses the onset of loss of lateral traction and helps the driver stay on track. Input from four wheel-speed sensors, a yaw-rate (directional) sensor, a deceleration sensor, and a steering-wheel-angle sensor is communicated to the VSC computer. The system has the ability to reduce power and to control the brake actuator. Working with both ABS and TRAC, the VSC system helps the driver to compensate for loss of lateral traction, which can cause skids and loss of vehicle control. Lexus Vehicle Skid Control (VSC) is an electronic system designed to help the driver maintain vehicle control under adverse conditions. It is not a substitute for safe driving practices. Factors including speed, road conditions and driver steering input can all affect whether VSC will be effective in preventing a loss of control.
so it's just a better traction control yea??
Old 01-23-06, 02:35 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by shaolin
so it's just a better traction control yea??
Not really. It's designed to keep you in a straight line. It doesn't just manage traction to the drive wheels.
Old 01-23-06, 04:14 PM
mmaniaci
Driver School Candidate

Well picked my car up. When they ran the diagnostics, they came back with fuel to rich. They changed my oil because it was contaminated with raw fuel. Didn't have an answer for me, just said this has been reported with a couple IS's and GS's. Lexus is working on a field fix. For now he said just to let them know if the light comes back on. That is quite annoying to me, spend all this money on a car and didn't get the problem fixed really and the car only has 1000 miles on it and there is a chance that the problem will reoccur and I will be inconvenienced with bringing it back in. Also, while it was there, they did the recall fix on the gas pedal, no mention of an IPOD Oh yeah, it seems to me that the easily scratchable center console ( wood ), has more minor scracthes on it as though they dragged something accross it or wiped it with a ****ty towel. I told them NOT to wash it but I guess they vacumed the inside it. I can't be sure that the scratches were not there before, but I don't think they were I am not very happy

Oh yeah, thought I would mention, he also mentioned that they have seeing some problems with the seat belt and that lexus was working on a fix for that too.

Mike
Old 01-23-06, 04:28 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

seems like there are a lot of problems with IS250 awd....

good luck to you guys
Old 01-23-06, 05:36 PM
yoshi13
Rookie

my 350's check engine and VSC message came on too... we'll see what the dealership says after the diagnostics.

Quick Reply: Oh no- check engine light and check VSC