IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Oops, we're sorry the tires got mounted inside out

Old 01-22-06, 02:49 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by heffergm
No, the dealer can't be trusted to change your oil.
No, the dealer can't be trusted to mount your tires correctly.
Yes, dealerships are evil.

This is why I haven't had any car I own at a dealership for anything other than necessary recall work for a decade or so. There are too many monkeys paid to work on cars that don't know or care the first thing about doing the job correctly.
this is why I only allow the one master tech that I've come to know to work on or test drive my car.
Old 01-22-06, 02:50 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
this is why I only allow the one master tech that I've come to know to work on or test drive my car.
Befriending a certain mech is always a good plan.
Old 01-22-06, 03:27 PM
EUROJulian
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by genearch
.... Either way, just be happy when they fix the problem and move along. Don't let this taint your ownership experience.

Class dosn`t come with money

Other day I asked for tomato on my burger, got none. Had to wait for doctor visit hour over appointment, Walmart parking lot was full and etc.

Somebody mounted tires and didn`t pay attention those are dirrectional. Most likely student or young rookie. No biggie, Wheels didn`t feel off, now that is a problem

As a foreigner I see as curiosity you people expecting better service at the dealer than one you deliver in your respective fields. Just post here where you work and I get you your horror stories no problem.
Even damn NASA mounted shute release backward and landing module crashed on Earth Now, that is a problem
Old 01-22-06, 03:33 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EUROJulian
As a foreigner I see as curiosity you people expecting better service at the dealer than one you deliver in your respective fields. Just post here where you work and I get you your horror stories no problem.
Ummm, I don't know what exactly you're referring to, but I always try to deliver the utmost in my particular field. Which is exactly why I expect them same from others (and rarely get it). Keep in mind there's a wide diversity on this board in terms of age, experience and general wisdom (or lack thereof). There's nothing I hate worse than gross generalization.
Old 01-22-06, 03:56 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Originally Posted by EUROJulian
Class dosn`t come with money
Nor is it bundled with a computer keyboard

Julian et al, keep this thread polite please.
Old 01-22-06, 04:09 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Look... stuff happens. The dealer (or tire company) made a mistake. There should be no reason to abandon that dealer for something as simple as this. Take your car in, have them take care of it and move along.
I respecfully disagree. They made two mistakes. First they mounted the tires backwards. Second, when the customer called to find out whether running them backwards would ruin the tires, they should have cautioned him that while running them backwards for a brief period of time won't damage them, he MUST reduce his speed and be extra careful in the rain, because the tires will be MUCH more susceptible to hydroplaning.

The purpose of the directional tread is to channel water from the center of the tire to the sides. When mounted backwards, the tire will actually channel water to the center of the tire, significantly increasing the chance of hydroplaning. Failing to warn him to slow down in wet weather is, in my opinion, almost as negligent as mounting them backwards in the first place.

People pay top dollar to bring their Lexus to the dealer not just for the leather sofas and plasma TVs, but to get highly trained and experienced mechanics and service writers. Looks like in this case, the customer got neither.
Old 01-22-06, 04:15 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Uh huh....
What? I've been to every dealership in the country
I'm fully qualified to make that statement.

Ok, ok. You got me. What I should have said is:

In my opinion, based on my experience with a variety of dealerships in several states in which I've lived, none of them were capable of performing regular service with any degree of trustworthiness, and typically made things worse. This includes one VW dealership, two BMW dealerships, a variety of Honda dealerships, and one Subaru dealership. Feel free to take your chances (and make up your own mind obviously.... most people would never notice the things that **** me off. Overfilled crankcase anyone? Body panel molding mysteriously loose? Coffee stains on the rug?), but I do all my own maintenance at this point because I do better routine work than any dealership I've ever had my car at.
Old 01-22-06, 04:38 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
I respecfully disagree. They made two mistakes. First they mounted the tires backwards. Second, when the customer called to find out whether running them backwards would ruin the tires, they should have cautioned him that while running them backwards for a brief period of time won't damage them, he MUST reduce his speed and be extra careful in the rain, because the tires will be MUCH more susceptible to hydroplaning.

The purpose of the directional tread is to channel water from the center of the tire to the sides. When mounted backwards, the tire will actually channel water to the center of the tire, significantly increasing the chance of hydroplaning. Failing to warn him to slow down in wet weather is, in my opinion, almost as negligent as mounting them backwards in the first place.
Great point.
Old 01-22-06, 05:45 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So here is the photo - this is the front left tire (you can see the headlight in the top left of the shot). Not the end of the world, but this is why I went to Lexus instead of Chevy.

Note the directional arrow pointing clockwise (*edit).
Attached Thumbnails Oops, we're sorry the tires got mounted inside out-tireonbackwards.jpg  

Last edited by Lexustom; 01-22-06 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-22-06, 05:57 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexustom
So here is the photo - this is the front left tire (you can see the headlight in the top left of the shot). Not the end of the world, but this is why I went to Lexus instead of Chevy.

Note the directional arrow pointing counterclockwise.
You mean clockwise, right?
Old 01-22-06, 06:11 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I know you have received a series of thoughts but here is one more.

You can ask (demand) the dealer for a new tires for the side that they mounted incorrectly. (why should you have any doubts about the safety of the tires on your brand new car).

There is no excuse for this error.

If a green tech did the mounting the mistake should have been caught prior to them releasing the car to you.

I would call Lexus corporate customer service to document the error. These folks take service seriously and should offer your something (at least a free 10K service for this) and slam the dealer for sloppy work.
Old 01-22-06, 06:45 PM
Scotty99
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexustom

Note the directional arrow pointing clockwise (*edit).
Hey Lexustom, you have every right to be PO'd. When you buy a quality car, you expect quality service. When people have a I don't give a care attitude about stuff like this, that is when the dealer will feel no accountability for screwing up. Just like anything else in life, mistakes do happen, but it doesn't mean that there will not be accountability for the mistakes.

Scott