IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Any misalignment problems with port installed rear spoiler??

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-06, 10:10 AM
Scotty99
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any misalignment problems with port installed rear spoiler??

Has anyone had any issues with alignment on the port installed rear spoiler or the holes drilled in the trunk? I get shivers down my spine when I think of the guys in the port drilling three holes in my trunk and throwing on these spoilers. I think it looks good without the spoiler, but my wife says it looks better with it. Anyway, those of you with the spoiler, when you open the trunk and look at the inside, can you tell 3 holes were drilled or did they do a nice job? Also, I am primarily concerned with any alignment issues. I don't know why they just don't put them on in the factory. Sorry for rambling on and thanks for your help.

Scott
Old 01-21-06, 10:23 AM
Lexo350
Pole Position

Thumbs up

I just got done putting mine on right now. it is fairly easy just follow the directions on the instruction manual and you wont have a problem. now its up to you if you want to pay that extra couple hundred dollars for factory to put it on but as for me I am a do it yoursefl kind of guy and if you could save money to spend on something else WHY NOT. good luck
Old 01-21-06, 12:08 PM
SilverBolt
Driver

Our fist IS350 was spec'd with the full body kit. Front lip and rear spoiler looked great. Side skirts and rear lower valance looked very bad. We rejected the car and waited for another. On the second we opted to only get the rear spoiler. I looks perfect. I wouldn't worry about getting the rear. The whole kit on the other hand I would not do.
Old 01-21-06, 12:48 PM
2006is350
Driver School Candidate

I work in Georgetown at the Toyota Logistics facility there and we put on " factory" spoilers on the Camry and the Avalon. We have automatic templates that fit on and drill the hole automaticlly. Its very hard to mess one up, im sure its the same at the port these are brought into.
Old 01-21-06, 05:53 PM
Scotty99
Driver

Originally Posted by 2006is350
I work in Georgetown at the Toyota Logistics facility there and we put on " factory" spoilers on the Camry and the Avalon. We have automatic templates that fit on and drill the hole automaticlly. Its very hard to mess one up, im sure its the same at the port these are brought into.
Thanks for everyones reassurance. Just got back from a local Lexus dealer and looked at a few IS's with the rear spoiler. They all looked good. The only slight nit picky thing I could find is a very small uneven gap on the horizontal part of the hood on some, but all the alignments look good. The spoiler does make the car look a little better IMHO, but I do think they are ripping people off on the cost of it. $355 My dealer would not negotiate the price, but I could not complain since he already gave me a couple thousand off MSRP. Just dont know why Lexus only charges $200 on the GS for the exact same size of plastic on a more expensive car. Nuff complaining though, can't wait for my baby to get in my hands, the car is really a beautiful piece of machinery.

Scott
Old 01-22-06, 02:04 AM
Cleric
Driver

No need to worry. The port installed spoiler uses a JIG to locate and drill the holes and also uses the edge of the lid as a datum. In english terms this means that there is even less change of misalignment compared to using a template that the dealers use to install the spoiler, which as stated before is pretty effective at locating the holes already.