IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lady backed into my IS350

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-06, 09:12 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I meant prepainted from the factory, not prepainted at the dealer.

On my 3000, my front end was damaged(hood, bumper, fenders). The paint match was so poor, I had to pay to get the entire car repainted. I would have made them repaint, but the new paint looked a lot nicer than my old paint.

3 years later, someone backs into my 3000s rear fender in a parking lot, went back to the same shop for repaint.... Surprise, it doesnt match! Then a month later someone hit and ran my other rear fender. Different shop this time.... surprise, no match either.

THey actually painted my rear fender, doors parts of my front fender and hood. I actually didnt see the paint mismatch for weeks, since I thought they would at most blend into the door.

My car was hit in the rear Quarter panel. They painted 1/3 of the car.

Last edited by tqlla3k; 01-20-06 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-20-06, 11:27 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by shaolin
i agree with ya..

tell them to tell the insurance company that they don't have the color paint and tell them to get you a bumper that has already prepainted...

good luck

They don't have to find the right color. Body shops use a computerized system (ideally supplemented by the judgement and experience of a good technician) to mix the right color. Then they blend it into adjacent panels so your eye won't easily pick up any color mismatch.

I'd be surprised (pleasantly) if bumpers and other collision repair parts are available pre-painted. The pre-painted spoiler and side skirts are dealer installed accessories, and few dealers have in-house facilities for painting. Repair parts, on the other hand, are installed by body shops, which do have painting facilities.

Personally, I'd take a factory painted bumper with a slight color mismatch over a body shop painted one that matched perfectly. The factory applied paint will be much more durable. But like I said, I doubt you'll have that choice.
Old 01-20-06, 12:12 PM
Chi-town
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being that the IS is so new, replacement parts, i.e. bumper may be hard to come by.

I cannot believe that that lady lied about not having insurance.

On top of her insurance paying for your rental, I would also have them compensate me for the time that I had to take off for their parties mistake. GL, hope everything works out for you.
Old 01-20-06, 02:00 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Chi-town
I would also have them compensate me for the time that I had to take off for their parties mistake.
Dream on... Insurance adjusters settle dozens of these kind of claims every day, and on a parking lot "fender bender" with no injuries, they aren't going to pay out for time off work, emotional distress, or any other creative loss. They have lawyers on staff, you don't.

The insurance companies and body shops generally use the same estimating software. They'll plug in the VIN, tick off the damage, and the software will spit out an estimate that (unless hidden damage is later found) is pretty close to what the shop and insurance company eventually settle on.
Old 01-20-06, 10:59 PM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the opinion guys! I have to go sort out the details with Triple A next week. I was assuming if I go with the dealer it would be much safer, since recently my other car had a horrible experience at a bodyshop that I was recommended to go to. My Nissan came out with a broken transmission and 2 way LSD was burned out too, so with that wonderful body shop experience I'm kinda paranoid about the IS now. I wonder if I should go with the bodyshops that Triple A has? This has been a long headache for me damit...

Oh yea btw, if anyone here that lives in Southern California and tries out a body shop located in Covina called "Citrus Auto Body Paint Works" STAY AWAY. My Nissan 240sx came out with a broken transmission, and LSD. Another 240sx went in to be painted with a metal headgasket in a SR20DET, and came out with a blown headgasket. Bad body shop, stay clear away unless you want to spend 2 months reparing your car.
Old 01-20-06, 11:56 PM
ONEdirty23
Pole Position

wow, I've heard of citrus having problems as well too. That sucks about what happened to your car. I have the same color (crystal white) 350 and I would be hella pissed if that happened to me. I try to limit how often I drive the Lexus and use my civic as a daily driver. Only problem I have are a few nicks in my 350's front bumper from flying debris (clear bra is on the way lol). Have you heard of MOB works? A friend of mine has a DA Integra that came out flawless when he had it repainted there. www.mobworks.com. Hope everything works out. Peace
Old 01-21-06, 12:13 AM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

I'm thinking of PJ bonafiacio too..