IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The mother of all 2IS car cover threads (merged discussion)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-06, 07:08 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've used a California Car Cover for years. Very satisified with the product and service before and after the sale. Their web site is www.calcarcover.com Catalogs are free.
The cover fits around the mirrors and under the front and rear bumpers with elastic, so it lays nice without excessive wrinkles..
I have a custom fit "NOAH" material cover for my RX300. I live in the sunbelt with intermittant rain. The material is an outdoor/indoor with a soft underlayer and it's lightweight to work with. Great UV protection along with rain repellant. The cost was $199.
The material failed and split at the peak of the windshield after a couple of years. As the cover is warrantied for four years, I received a replacement cover in a few days. They're assembled in Oklahoma and shipped from there. Instructions are provided for removing and installing the cover, without it dragging on the ground. You may option for locking cable and pad eyes installed to run the cable without damaging the paint. Works good when in a public garage.
Lastly, I don't need to wash the RX nearly as often, just dust it from time ot time. Consequently, the wax lasts much longer and the interior looks and feels new.
Old 02-09-06, 07:41 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tammy
I have a custom fit "NOAH" material cover for my RX300. I live in the sunbelt with intermittant rain. The material is an outdoor/indoor with a soft underlayer and it's lightweight to work with. Great UV protection along with rain repellant. The cost was $199.
The material failed and split at the peak of the windshield after a couple of years. As the cover is warrantied for four years, I received a replacement cover in a few days.
I'm worried about these Noah and Evolution materials deteriorating and leaving their dust on the car...(had this happen to an Evolution cover after 2 years). You said yours failed and finally ripped....was it leaving a lot of dust on the car? I mean....my experience was...back when they didn't offer warranties....I washed my Evo cover thoroughly thinking it was dusty/dirty...I let it dry out and then put it on a clean car and it would leave a fine powder/dust on the "clean" car.....it was the material actually breaking down into a fine power or dust NOT dirt fromt he outside....I called Kimberly Clark (the maker), and they said Yes, its breaking down because of the heat/humidity...sorry your outta luck.

I wonder if the new covers still break down like this? I'm thinking of going with a TYVEK cover but scared about it being TOO lightweight and blowing off the vehicle (even if its custom fit). The white color is great to reflect the heat/rays, etc.
Old 02-09-06, 08:39 AM
mtnduc
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing to remember when using a car cover outdoors is that any dust/dirt particles etc... caught under the cover will be trapped between the cover and your car. When the wind blows this acts just like sandpaper and will wear your paint off at the main contact points -- bumpers, hood & trunk edges, roof edges, etc... Don't ask how I know.
I used to have a nice Beverly Hills Motoring Accesories, BHMA, indoor cover on my Black Jag show car with a flannel lining. I'd wash the car put on the cover and it looked great whenever I wanted to go for a drive. Then after the drive I'd use a California Car Duster and cover it back up for the next drive. Worked great for years. I still sorta miss that car.

Try these guys:
http://www.beverlyhillsmotorsport.com/
Looks like BHMA is now doing business as the link above. I think the retail location is the same.
Old 02-09-06, 08:49 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Bagwell,

I tried and search for those keyworkds is not working for me too , sorry about that - will get someone to look into it.

I did search for some alternative keywords and here are some threads:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195750
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=187546
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185976
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=100798

I have both an OEM Lexus cover and a Noah cover for my GS; I prefer the OEM one, nice quality and less dusty. Better built-in storage & design IMO
Thanks for the help Dave.

what do you guys think of TYVEK for an outdoor cover? yeh yeh I know, the envelope material....but its super soft after its been crumpled up and is very liteweight...and of course as I said above...its white, so it reflects most of the heat/rays.
Old 02-09-06, 09:22 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard good things about the Evolution 4 cover and that's what I ordered. Extreme heat/humidity is not as much of a problem up here, so hopefully I won't have that problem. I park indoors, and really I just need something to protect the car from drips from the roof, accidental scratching from other cars, etc.

I ordered from www.autoanything.com. Was about to order the OEM cover, but I got this one for half the price, now that third parties finally have the pattern for the new IS.
Old 02-09-06, 10:28 AM
Lem144
Intermediate

This is a great thread. Im going to buy a car cover when my IS arrives and I just assumed the Lexus one was best. Now I'm not so sure.
Old 02-09-06, 11:33 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lem144
This is a great thread. Im going to buy a car cover when my IS arrives and I just assumed the Lexus one was best. Now I'm not so sure.
ask if they can throw in the Lexus car cover for you when you take delivery!

I had a great salesman...I just forgot to ask him about a car cover
Old 02-09-06, 11:47 AM
Lem144
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bagwell
ask if they can throw in the Lexus car cover for you when you take delivery!

I had a great salesman...I just forgot to ask him about a car cover
I would but I'm already getting for 3% over invoice. I dont think I'll get much more. =)
Old 03-20-06, 12:09 PM
C280to250
Pole Position

Default Where to buy Waterprof Car Cover

Where do you buy a waterprof Car cover? I saw one in Ebay for $160 i will consider it if there is nothing else.
Does Lexus manufacture car cover as well? Would'nt mind paying alittle extra for the L sign in the cover

thanks
Old 03-20-06, 12:25 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Im pretty sure lexus makes one
Old 03-20-06, 02:04 PM
Lem144
Intermediate

What is recommended for parking outside/on the street? Should I just leave it uncovered so rascals don't try and take a peek? My IS should be arriving in the next few weeks.
Old 04-11-06, 11:33 AM
Lem144
Intermediate

Default The BEST car cover for IS?

I know this has been discussed here before, but I wanted to find out which is the best car cover for the IS. My car will be parked outside.

I am looking at the California Car Cover Superweave. With reflective piping it's about $400. What do you guys think? Keep in mind im in New England where weather wreaks havoc on cars.

Thanks!\

BTW...I did try the search function but it was not working for me
Old 04-11-06, 12:02 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just received from Calif. Car cover a cover made from Kimberly Clark's Noah material. It fits very well. I have used "Noah" covers for years and they do very well outside here in So. Calif. weather. (or lack of weather depending on your perspective!) For my IS I bought the "Noah" cover and am using it in a garage! Nuts I know. But for the few times a year it might sit outside I'm ready!

Any way the cover fits great and from what I read is the best for outside storage. It looks like Superweave will be fine as well but appears to be more pricey . Then again you'll be getting special piping.
Old 05-01-06, 06:53 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

With a move to a new building....I now have covered parking and won't be using my car cover.

If someone wants it for $99 shipped....its the autoanything.com evolutuion 4 material $163....I only used it about 10 times at the most and every time it was on a spotless just washed car.

its the tan color which is great for keeping the car cool, you wouldn't believe the difference if you have black interior!

mholdr@coair.com
Old 05-15-06, 09:51 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I've read all the posts and have a good idea where to get my cover. I want to know your experience if you put it on outdoors and take it off everyday.

How long does it take?
Is it difficult especially when it's windy?
Any scratches, especially if used everyday?
How's the paint?

Quick Reply: The mother of all 2IS car cover threads (merged discussion)