IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

headlight condensation

Old 01-09-06, 02:14 PM
silver250
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight condensation

well its me again....... i recently installed my hid's and i got alot of condensation........ people here tell me that the bulbs are not in tight, so i opened it up and refitted it...... i notice the passenger headlight getting better, not that much condensation but the driver side has a grip....... so i opened up the dust cover and dried it out, sealed it with silicone and next you know it, an hour later it fogged up again, and it wasnt even cold outside.......so my question is, has anybody went through this and was able to fix it????
Old 01-09-06, 02:59 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can't be certain on the new IS cars, but the 2nd and 3rd generation GS, as well as the 04+ RX330s all have that problem. Not eveyone has it as certain drier climates it doesn't often show up , but it is not uncommon to hear about these headlight condensation problems. Just do a search in the GS and RX forums and you will see topics about this. Even my SC400 has had condensation problems in the headlights, but the car is over 10 years old. Take it back to the dealer and get a new headlight. Many have gotten new headlights, but some dealers claim it is normal and give yo ua hard time at first. Just keep complaining and eventually you might get a new headlight.
Old 01-09-06, 03:41 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

I question is......did you modify the housing any when you did the HID install?

To get the water out, you'll need to get some warn dry air in the housing to ventilate it, and evaporate the water that's in there.....

If you did mod the housing, you better hope the dealer is friendly about it.......they could just deny the warranty becasue of that alone.
Old 01-09-06, 04:04 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by unit74
If you did mod the housing, you better hope the dealer is friendly about it.......they could just deny the warranty becasue of that alone.
Yup, it's getting harder to replace the housings under warranty. I replaced the housings on my 2nd gen GS d/t condensation problems with no hassle. But my SA (who is also a close friend) informed a few months later that Lexus was no longer going to authorize warranty replacement of the housings, except in "exceptional" cases.

My 3rd gen GS hasn't exhibited any condenstion (knock on wood), but I'm keeping a close eye on it. I figure though, if your Lexus is relatively new, the dealership woul most likely swap out the housings to keep the customer happy.
Old 01-10-06, 06:37 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by silver250
well its me again....... i recently installed my hid's and i got alot of condensation........ people here tell me that the bulbs are not in tight, so i opened it up and refitted it...... i notice the passenger headlight getting better, not that much condensation but the driver side has a grip....... so i opened up the dust cover and dried it out, sealed it with silicone and next you know it, an hour later it fogged up again, and it wasnt even cold outside.......so my question is, has anybody went through this and was able to fix it????
unless you modified the dust cover, I don't think that's the source of the leak (make sure you reinstalled it correctly with the retension wire), as the cover already has a rubber seal. The headlamp housing is not supposed to be air tight, anyway. The manual says that condensation is not uncommon after a heavy rain or car wash (one of the headlights on my RX330 gets condensation after high-pressure car wash) but clears up within a day, if not hours.