IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Want to disable DRL

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-06, 08:01 PM
MicahIS250
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Want to disable DRL

Topic says it, I really want to disable the ugly daytime running lights, I have the standard head lights so its running the high beams at 50% which makes a very dim yellow light. I posted about this on IS350forums but it started an argument and reallly got no help. So please no arguing over why would I want to disable this saftey feature, just want to know if anyone has any insight on how to disable it.
Old 01-07-06, 08:39 PM
mofogasm
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have to go to the dealer to have them disable it. It is an option they get when they plug in their computer to the car. It is not publicized as a Personalized Settings and i have even heard of some people having a hard time getting their dealer to admit that it can be done. My dealer didn't give me any problems and turned it off for me during my 5000 mile service.
Old 01-07-06, 09:26 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I have step by step directions on how you can disable the DRL.

Just print it out and give it to the dealer. They should do it to you for free.

I will post it later, not at home now.
Old 01-07-06, 10:24 PM
MicahIS250
Driver School Candidate

Sweet thanks for everyones help. I hope i'm not stuck though, the Lexus dealer is on a neighbor island, I had to have it shipped here. The closest thing i've got a chance with is a Toyota dealership, hopefully considering theres no lexus dealer here they are equiped to handle it.
Old 01-07-06, 11:26 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

taking the bulbs isnt one of the options?
Old 01-07-06, 11:29 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think it looks really good with it in day time
Old 01-08-06, 12:51 AM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

reminds me a toyota camry when i see it in the day time
Old 01-08-06, 06:03 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Scan tool needs most recent update...

Originally Posted by MicahIS250
Sweet thanks for everyones help. I hope i'm not stuck though, the Lexus dealer is on a neighbor island, I had to have it shipped here. The closest thing i've got a chance with is a Toyota dealership, hopefully considering theres no lexus dealer here they are equiped to handle it.
but the Toyota dealership should be able to do it for you also.
Old 01-08-06, 11:49 AM
MicahIS250
Driver School Candidate

Well I suppose its a different story for those of you with HID, there must be a different bulb just for the DRL? For me i'd have to remove my high beams. Glad to hear a toyota dealership should be able to do it also, i'll wait for the instructions from gsrthomas and contact the Lexus dealer first then the Toyota dealer to see what they can do.
Old 01-08-06, 01:05 PM
mofogasm
Pole Position

here are the instructions

Old 02-25-06, 07:01 AM
BumpinLex
Driver School Candidate

Just woundering, I have a 99 es 300, will those instructions work for mine?? I found a relay in the engine bay that controls them, I clipped one of the prongs after much testing and it solved the problem! The daytimes were off and everything else worked fine, the only drawback was that my high beam indicator in my guage cluster remained on whenever the daytimes would have been on but once I turned my headlights on it worked normal. I would however like to do it the correct way and program it out. here is a pic of the relay I clipped, so others could possibly make it work with no flaws! I think it just might be totally possible with no flaws if I can figure out the wiring under the relays instead of clipping the pins. But for those out there with 99's or ne other year that looks like this, its a temp fix that works as long as u can deal with seeing your high beam indicator on during the day, (even though they really are not on)

Old 07-19-06, 06:14 PM
goober007
Rookie

am i the only one that likes the DRL?? i know they've help me out plenty of times b4.
In Canada, DRL have been standard on all new cars for the last 10 years or so now, i believe.
Old 07-19-06, 11:09 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goober007
am i the only one that likes the DRL?? i know they've help me out plenty of times b4.
In Canada, DRL have been standard on all new cars for the last 10 years or so now, i believe.
Nope, tons of cars in America with lights on. The only valid reason I can think of someone wanted to turn them off is for looks. So as not to seem flippant, they'll disguise the mod under the cover of it doesn't help safety, excessive use of electricity, bad for the eyes, triggers traffic cameras, decrease gas mileage, attracts the police radar, my girlfriend hates them, runs down battery, it's my car and i don't want to follow the [lexus] rules, scares the dog, and anything else they can think of. I think al gore even said it's partially responsible for global warming in canada lol.

j/k
Old 07-19-06, 11:39 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by goober007

I like them, the DRL allows the driver infront of me to switch to another lane when im speeding...just wish that the full power DRL mod was available for the 2IS tho.
Old 11-08-06, 01:15 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

I was just able to get my dealer to do this for me but only after faxing them the instructions. The image above is pretty poor and didnt fax well so I re-created the instructions into a pdf. In case anyone wants a better copy, you can download here

Quick Reply: Want to disable DRL