IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Getting impatient - I might have to buy a 330i

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-06, 06:31 AM
RA010324
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, I drove the new 330i and the IS350 back to back and must admit I preferred the 330i.....it had more room for my big ***, handled better, and MOST IMPORTANTLY had a manual transmission. The power was very nice too. I ended up with the Lexus because it was about $10k less though and I couldn't justify the extra $$$ for the Bimmer.
Old 01-07-06, 08:47 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

So the 350 didn't do it for you?

Noticed you have a 250 now.
Old 01-07-06, 10:36 AM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jayrod
I live in Texas and they still have not gotten the package/combination I am looking for. I am also considering a 330i and I can find exactly what I want for that car. I like the is350 better by a very slight margin and thus have been waiting to purchase one with NAV+ML+Sport but they just aren't getting any in my region. I am beginning to think I should just get the 3 series and put myself out of my misery. Anyone else in a similar situation? If so, are you going to wait or purchase something else?

Also, how long do special orders usually take?

We were in the same position as you. Checked out both the IS350 & 330i. The 330i was more fun to drive but we couldn't stand the interior (I can't stand that iDrive crap w/the nav. option especially). We really wanted the IS350 but the local dealerships didn't have the options (xenon, etc.) we wanted so we just got another car (Since we needed a car asap). Was told (by the Lexus dealership) those options won't be available on the IS until April'ish (in Texas). Perhaps we'll get an IS350 if we don't lose too much on trade-in in the future.
Old 01-07-06, 11:02 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

WAIT! haha. You are spending 40+ K so just get what you like.

330i didnt do it for me. I couldnt even get navigation here. forget about all those ML and LT or sport package.

I like the 330i over all but the interior is just too plain and painful to look at. My old RSX interior is much better and more welcoming than 330i's.
Old 01-07-06, 02:23 PM
jayrod
Driver School Candidate

Today I have called every Lexus dealer in TX, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico. NONE of them have either a luxury or sport package! My only hope is Sewell Lexus in Dallas who said they may be getting one in their new allocation and they will let me know on Monday.

On the flipside I can get a 330i for at least $2500 below MSRP exactly the way I want it right now. If I am unable to find an is350 the way I want it on Monday, I will probably just buy the 330i. I mean I like it a lot - I just like the is350 slightly better. The 3 month wait for a special order is just too long though.
Old 01-07-06, 02:34 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today I have called every Lexus dealer in TX, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico. NONE of them have either a luxury or sport package! My only hope is Sewell Lexus in Dallas who said they may be getting one in their new allocation and they will let me know on Monday.

On the flipside I can get a 330i for at least $2500 below MSRP exactly the way I want it right now. If I am unable to find an is350 the way I want it on Monday, I will probably just buy the 330i. I mean I like it a lot - I just like the is350 slightly better. The 3 month wait for a special order is just too long though.
I understand. Just remember the is350 is a sweet car, too bad you don't like it a lot better than just a little better. I understand the 3 month thing, I couldn't wait either. Why don't you try the Chicago area also just in case...there's a bunch of dealerships there.

Where are you in TX? I grew up in San Antonio, just went back there over few weeks ago Christmas, you're not going to find anything in that town that's for sure.
Old 01-07-06, 04:23 PM
jayrod
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kensteele
I understand. Just remember the is350 is a sweet car, too bad you don't like it a lot better than just a little better. I understand the 3 month thing, I couldn't wait either. Why don't you try the Chicago area also just in case...there's a bunch of dealerships there.

Where are you in TX? I grew up in San Antonio, just went back there over few weeks ago Christmas, you're not going to find anything in that town that's for sure.
I am in Austin, TX - home of the national champion Longhorns

San Antonio = "armpit of America". No offense to anyone who lives there.
Old 01-07-06, 04:34 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

I read on another thread that luxury and sport package cars are generally not being allocated to warm states, because they all come with the heated/cooled seats, so they want these cars to go to colder places like northeast, midwest, pacific northwest. I got a sports package IS 350 here with no problems. Unfortunately if you want one of the packages, you may have to call dealers in a colder climate. I think Chicago would be a good bet.
Old 01-07-06, 04:44 PM
jayrod
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by diablo1
I read on another thread that luxury and sport package cars are generally not being allocated to warm states, because they all come with the heated/cooled seats, so they want these cars to go to colder places like northeast, midwest, pacific northwest. I got a sports package IS 350 here with no problems. Unfortunately if you want one of the packages, you may have to call dealers in a colder climate. I think Chicago would be a good bet.
If this is true, then this logic is completely flawed and ridiculous. Warmer climates can take advantage of the cooled seats just the same as colder climates can take advantage of the heated seats. Can you tell I'm frustrated?
Old 01-07-06, 04:46 PM
MatadorIS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by diablo1
That makes absolutely no sense. Even the basic Premium Package includes the heated seats.
Old 01-07-06, 04:58 PM
dmacneill
Rookie

Well, at my advanced age I have come to realize that delayed gratification is almost always worth it. I have on order an IS250 with RWD, Luxury package, and the Mark Levinson as a stand alone option (I have no need for NAV). I ordered it near the end of November and expect it to arrive around the end of February or so. I don't mind waiting since I enjoy driving my other car (a Volvo S60 2.5T which my wife will get when the IS arrives). I know the feeling about not being able to wait - I was the same way when younger. Now, however, waiting for what I really want doesn't bother me.
Old 01-07-06, 05:08 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Low J.
...I couldn't justify the extra $$$ for the Bimmer.
or apparently not for the the 350 either. Of course there's even a bigger difference between a 250 and a 330.
Old 01-07-06, 05:22 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in Austin, TX - home of the national champion Longhorns

San Antonio = "armpit of America". No offense to anyone who lives there.
Not quite Austin hasn't surpassed SA yet but I know what you're saying about some parts of SA. If you haven't been there lately, north northwest and northeast sides up to NB and SM are still good. I left there over 20 years ago and at the time Austin was a cow town with one horse, one stoplight, and one road. Order the IS350, wait for it, be happy.
Old 01-07-06, 05:48 PM
jayrod
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kensteele
Not quite Austin hasn't surpassed SA yet but I know what you're saying about some parts of SA. If you haven't been there lately, north northwest and northeast sides up to NB and SM are still good. I left there over 20 years ago and at the time Austin was a cow town with one horse, one stoplight, and one road. Order the IS350, wait for it, be happy.
My, how quickly things must have changed in 20 years.

Special order is at least a 90 day wait. Meanwhile my current car depreciates by 3 months and BMW dealers call me with great deals. That's a tough pill to swallow, but maybe it's worth it. I'll probably make my decision within the next week.
Old 01-07-06, 06:00 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

never settle!!!!!

Quick Reply: Getting impatient - I might have to buy a 330i