IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Finally, picked her up!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-06, 05:22 AM
dnszoom
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Finally, picked her up!

Well, I guess I should be even happier than I am as my 350 came in almost 8 weeks earlier than anticipated. Wow!

It's Tungsten Pearl on Sterling with the Sports Package (LSD up here) - only thing is, the dealer installed options are back ordered. So, for the next while no spoiler, winter mats and skirts. No matter, the car is beautiful. Does anyone know if the Sports Package sits lower than the other models?

I will be installing winters in a couple of hours - no snow to test though. They'll be installed on the stock 18"s (I know that it's not optimal) but I will be buying 19"s in the next couple of months.

I won't bother you with pics as you've all seen silver on silver 350s.

Oh, has anyone had issues with their Smart Access when wearing gloves (I haven't read the manual yet)?
Old 01-06-06, 06:11 AM
terp05
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure that yes, the sports package comes an inch or inch and a half lower
Old 01-06-06, 06:34 AM
SilverBolt
Driver

Skip the skirts. Spend the money elsewhere. After seeing them in person they are very difficult to see the difference over stock. The car I saw them (was going to ours) the fit was horrible. They appeared to be too long for the car. They protruded into the wheel wells.
Old 01-06-06, 06:37 AM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats, I remember reading somewhere in the manual that wearing gloves can effect the Smart Access.
Old 01-06-06, 08:13 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

I must say you have excellent taste in car colors, I have the same
exact color combo and options as you! Congrats!

The sports package gives you a 1/2" lowered ride height as opposed
to the luxury package's ride height...
Old 01-06-06, 10:38 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

I think the smart access relies on the conductivity of your skin to function. If you are wearing gloves, they will not conduct electricity and it won't work. But, they said in the manual that sometimes the unlocking can be activated by heavy rain - so I'm guessing if there is enough water in that area to conduct a current, the doors might unlock. I bet this is very rare though.

Congrats on your car! I have the same but with black interior.
Old 01-07-06, 07:12 AM
dnszoom
Pole Position

Thanks for the feedback all!

My timing on winter tires couldn't have been any better as we just received 3" of snow, whew.
Old 01-07-06, 07:37 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Tell us about the ability of the IS350....

to handle average snowfall with the 18" Snow tires and the VDIM engagement. Which tires did you put on it? The limited slip should help in hard acceleration but I'm curious about how it handles the curves. Have you tried the traction control switch to see what difference it makes when starting out? The transmission has a snow mode too. Can you tell if it improves the snow handling as you accelerate? Congrats.

Thanks.

Rock
Old 01-07-06, 08:01 AM
dnszoom
Pole Position

I'll try a couple of launches using the various traction modes today - I'll have to go find an empty parking lot somewhere.

I'm hoping that the SNOW mode is everything it's touted to be... incidentally, I've read your posts and appreciate your observations on the 250/350 AWD/RWD w/wo various traction controls.

Cheers.

Originally Posted by Rockville
to handle average snowfall with the 18" Snow tires and the VDIM engagement. Which tires did you put on it? The limited slip should help in hard acceleration but I'm curious about how it handles the curves. Have you tried the traction control switch to see what difference it makes when starting out? The transmission has a snow mode too. Can you tell if it improves the snow handling as you accelerate? Congrats.

Thanks.

Rock
Old 01-07-06, 08:04 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by dnszoom
Does anyone know if the Sports Package sits lower than the other models?
0.5" only.
Old 01-07-06, 08:53 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by diablo1
I think the smart access relies on the conductivity of your skin to function. If you are wearing gloves, they will not conduct electricity and it won't work. But, they said in the manual that sometimes the unlocking can be activated by heavy rain - so I'm guessing if there is enough water in that area to conduct a current, the doors might unlock. I bet this is very rare though.

Would be interesting to know what this is all about and how it works exactly. I think the smart access relies on the conductivity of your skin also but that has to be combined with a signal from the remote so the door will not open from a stranger whose skins "conducts" with the handle.

So when there is heavy rain, there has to be more than the conductivity when door spontaneously unlocks since there is no remote around. Maybe the rain creates a static condition where the remote function is blocked and thus defaults to "I hear a remote nearby" or maybe the sound of heavy rain water could echo at just the right frequency to sound like a remote nearby. Who knows.
Old 01-07-06, 09:08 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by diablo1

I've opened it with leather gloves on. I think it's similar to those touch-sensitive elevator buttons.
Old 01-07-06, 11:33 AM
knox_sport
Driver

Default pix?

how about some pix of that Tungsten/Sterling color combo? Especially with the front driver's door opened so we could get a good shot of the car and interior at the same time?
Old 01-07-06, 05:17 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my experience sometimes you may have to touch the door handle twice, but otherwise it works with gloves.

Don't have the LSD but snow mode works very well if it is slippery/icey, I find normal mode works better sometimes because the traction control does not kick in as much to slow your get away.

Last edited by clubfoot; 01-07-06 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-08-06, 08:05 AM
dnszoom
Pole Position

Originally Posted by knox_sport
how about some pix of that Tungsten/Sterling color combo? Especially with the front driver's door opened so we could get a good shot of the car and interior at the same time?
I'll post some later tonight but it's cold outside so I won't be hanging outside for very long.

Quick Reply: Finally, picked her up!