IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Ski Weekend in my 250AWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-06, 11:18 AM
terp05
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ski Weekend in my 250AWD

Just thought I'd pass along some highlights of my ski trip over the long new years weekend.

Ended up taking my IS250AWD and one other passenger. We fit my ski's through the passthrough and his snowboard (in bag) angled behind the driver's seat over to the right rear passenger seat. Note this made it impossible to sit anyone in the backseat. Loaded up the trunk with the rest of the gear fitting easily.

We stayed at a house up in some steep hills in a private community that ended up having entirely iced over roads. Lots of hill climbing and descending and the 250AWD didn't slip once (naturally the roads weren't pure ice- they had gravel and salt and some snow here and there on them).

Highlight of the trip was when my friend, who just bought a G35 sedan (rwd) got stuck on some ice on an uphill incline. We tried for a while to get him some traction with stones, gravel, etc. but no dice. He ended up having to let it roll and kick out the rear end to get some traction and come up the hill.

Having bought our cars within days of each other and after plenty of trash talking, I decided to be modest and not say anything as I pulled up along side of the stuck g35, parked and helped.

Drove through snow/freezing rain as well at different points of the weekend and had no problems.

An overall satisfying and validating weekend for me to be reminded of why I bought the slower AWD.
Old 01-05-06, 12:29 PM
Chi-town
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by terp05
Just thought I'd pass along some highlights of my ski trip over the long new years weekend.

Ended up taking my IS250AWD and one other passenger. We fit my ski's through the passthrough and his snowboard (in bag) angled behind the driver's seat over to the right rear passenger seat. Note this made it impossible to sit anyone in the backseat. Loaded up the trunk with the rest of the gear fitting easily.

We stayed at a house up in some steep hills in a private community that ended up having entirely iced over roads. Lots of hill climbing and descending and the 250AWD didn't slip once (naturally the roads weren't pure ice- they had gravel and salt and some snow here and there on them).

Highlight of the trip was when my friend, who just bought a G35 sedan (rwd) got stuck on some ice on an uphill incline. We tried for a while to get him some traction with stones, gravel, etc. but no dice. He ended up having to let it roll and kick out the rear end to get some traction and come up the hill.

Having bought our cars within days of each other and after plenty of trash talking, I decided to be modest and not say anything as I pulled up along side of the stuck g35, parked and helped.

Drove through snow/freezing rain as well at different points of the weekend and had no problems.

An overall satisfying and validating weekend for me to be reminded of why I bought the slower AWD.
You sir are a gentleman ; that was very noble of you, to not rub dirt or in this case snow in your friends face.
Old 01-05-06, 12:57 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did you take some pic of inside when you put the board??

what kind of tires are on the 250awd?/ is the the same kind on the regular 250 and 350???
Old 01-05-06, 02:08 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Nice story! I have the IS 250 AWD also.

It's interesting to note that the G35C's curb weight is only 127 lbs. lighter than the IS 250 AWD and only 3 lbs. lighter than the IS 350.

I know AWD is worthless for you CA drivers and such... but goes to show what the AWD can do in adverse conditions.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 01-05-06, 04:38 PM
Dr C
Driver

Just a couple of weeks ago, we had a 10 in snowfall. I purposely went out for errands, coming back to our house where we have a pretty steep driveway several times. At no time did I have the slighest slippage on city streets or coming up or down our driveway. Over the years (23 years in this house) numerous people have been unable to get up our driveway, even with snow tires.

250 AWD came through for us. Yes!
Old 01-05-06, 04:50 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

As a friend, isn't it your duty to rub his face in it as you're helping him out?

Thanks for the highlights. Good to know the AWD works in a real life situation. Us SoCal people really do enjoy hearing about stories like this since we so rarely get to experience conditions that require AWD (even when going skiing in the local mountains cuz the roads are usually deiced).
Old 01-05-06, 05:25 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by terp05
What kind of tires were on the G35? Hopefully he wasn't foolish enough to try to drive the car on ice and snow with high performance summer tires.
Old 01-05-06, 05:31 PM
terp05
Driver

Not sure if he had the summer tires but I'm pretty sure he has the 18" wheels which prolly implies summer tires...i'll try to confirm
Old 01-06-06, 04:23 PM
knox_sport
Driver

Default AWD tires

Originally Posted by shaolin

what kind of tires are on the 250awd?/ is the the same kind on the regular 250 and 350???
I think they are Dunlop SP Sport 5000's, if I remember correctly when I saw one at a dealer.

I put those on my old Integra and can vouch that they have great grip. I could do 65 in a downpour and not lose traction or fear hydroplaning. Snow, can't say. But if the aggressive tread pattern and wet traction is any indication, they probably do quite well.
Old 01-06-06, 05:19 PM
terp05
Driver

Must have missed the question but yeah, I've got the Dunlop SP Sport 5000's
Old 01-06-06, 10:38 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Originally Posted by knox_sport
I think they are Dunlop SP Sport 5000's, if I remember correctly when I saw one at a dealer.

I put those on my old Integra and can vouch that they have great grip. I could do 65 in a downpour and not lose traction or fear hydroplaning. Snow, can't say. But if the aggressive tread pattern and wet traction is any indication, they probably do quite well.
Same here. Can do 65-80 in a downpour here in Seattle (Sheesh. 19 days straight of rain so far.) in those Dunlop SP Sport 5000's. It took a while for the tires to "wear" in though. Had to get up to about 500 miles before the grip in the rain really took affect. I didn't feel safe going above 40 until after 500 miles...

... or was it just me still getting use to the car? Seriously, same amount of rain and I couldn't feel the tires grip at all before 500 miles. Now, the car loves the rain.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 01-06-06, 11:23 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe the other car was awestruck by your new IS...just kidding.