IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 Wheels without pressure sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-06, 03:47 PM
QikSilvr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 Wheels without pressure sensors?

Anyone firgured out how to turn off the display if you install wheels without pressure sensors?
Old 01-04-06, 08:28 PM
SGM IS350
Driver School Candidate

Default Wheels w/o Sensors

I just put a set of aftermarket wheels on my 350. Although the sensors fit in mine, the tech told me that if they do not fit, they can put all four sensors on the spare tire. They then set the pressure setting on the Satallite Switch to 32psi (PSI of Spare) and the system will not give a "Check System" light. Of course, you now have no way of knowing you are losing air pressure in a tire. I recommend looking into a set of wheels that the sensors will fit in...
Old 01-05-06, 05:12 AM
QikSilvr
Driver

Not that another $100 per wheel should stop anyone that can afford a Lexus, but there still should be a way to turn off the display warning.
Has anyone ask if this is an option that can be "programed" off.

My car has not arrived yet, therefore no VIN for me to even look at the online owners manual.
Old 01-05-06, 05:33 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by QikSilvr
Not that another $100 per wheel should stop anyone that can afford a Lexus, but there still should be a way to turn off the display warning.
Has anyone ask if this is an option that can be "programed" off.

My car has not arrived yet, therefore no VIN for me to even look at the online owners manual.
Lexus didn't equip the car with tire pressure sensor just because they could, but because there are REGULATIONS that REQUIRE tire pressure sensors since 2005--so it would be illegal for Lexus to give you the option to turn it off.
Old 01-05-06, 06:55 AM
SilverBolt
Driver

I am working on disabling the system in my 2006 Toyota Tacoma. Should be very similar to the Lexus system. If you put all the sensors in the spare it will keep the system from sending a low pressure warning however you can't use the spare in the event of a flat. The system is a stand alone system on does not interface with the ECU. Should be easy to pull the plug on it.
Old 01-05-06, 09:46 AM
viet658
Driver

The wheel place I went to recommended putting the sensors into a wheel barrow tire and keeping it in your trunk that way you can still use your spare. The wheel barrow tire is pretty small about 6"-8" so it doesn't take up much space.
Old 01-05-06, 10:54 AM
vwong
Driver

Originally Posted by jlin101
Lexus didn't equip the car with tire pressure sensor just because they could, but because there are REGULATIONS that REQUIRE tire pressure sensors since 2005--so it would be illegal for Lexus to give you the option to turn it off.
I don't think this applies to passenger cars. IIRC, the regulations apply to vans, trucks, and SUVs only.
Old 01-05-06, 06:59 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SGM IS350
Of course, you now have no way of knowing you are losing air pressure in a tire. ...
Because before tire pressure sensors came along, no one had any idea their tires were losing air. How about the old fahioned way?
Old 01-05-06, 07:02 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SilverBolt
I am working on disabling the system in my 2006 Toyota Tacoma. Should be very similar to the Lexus system. If you put all the sensors in the spare it will keep the system from sending a low pressure warning however you can't use the spare in the event of a flat. The system is a stand alone system on does not interface with the ECU. Should be easy to pull the plug on it.
I'm missing the point. Since I'm not totally familiar with the sensors, how does putting all the sensors in the small spare stop me from pulling a flat tire off my front axle and putting on the small spare and driving away? Does the small spare become disabled or unusable if you "load it" with 4 sensors?
Old 01-05-06, 08:39 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
I'm missing the point. Since I'm not totally familiar with the sensors, how does putting all the sensors in the small spare stop me from pulling a flat tire off my front axle and putting on the small spare and driving away? Does the small spare become disabled or unusable if you "load it" with 4 sensors?
Because the four sensors would be bouncing around like the steel ***** in a pachinko machine. Probably ruin the sensors, ding up the inside of the rim, make a racket, and throw the wheel off balance.
Old 01-05-06, 09:07 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bichon
Because the four sensors would be bouncing around like the steel ***** in a pachinko machine. Probably ruin the sensors, ding up the inside of the rim, make a racket, and throw the wheel off balance.
Ok, I understand. Then other posts above make no sense.
Old 01-06-06, 06:44 AM
SilverBolt
Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
Bingo! The sensors are integrated as part of the valve stem assembly. From the outside the appear very similar to a standard stem. Inside there is a small "black box" that houses the sensor and sending until. Via radio wave they send a singnal to the receiver mounted in the car if the pressure drops below a predetermined level. If the receiver does not "hear" a signal from all 5 sensors (yes the spare has one too) it triggers the warning light. So if you remove the sensors from the wheels they need to be in a pressurized container that will maintain the same level of pressure as the tires.

It should be just a matter of locating the proper fuse/breaker and pulling it. I just got a wiring diagram for my Tacoma so I plan to work on that this weekend. Should be easy enough to apply to these cars as well.
Old 01-06-06, 07:27 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vwong
I don't think this applies to passenger cars. IIRC, the regulations apply to vans, trucks, and SUVs only.
see here
http://www.autobodynews.com/Sections...s%20story.html
http://www.beru.com/english/aktuelle...e/20050411.php
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0..._pressure.html
Old 03-09-06, 08:13 PM
peterGX470
Driver

Default Leave the sensor in the Factory wheel

If someone tell me where the control modulator is located in the IS I can show you how to by pass the dash warning light. Turn them on and off when you have to put the factory wheel back on.

I just bought a IS250 and put 18" aftermarket wheel on it. I can't fine where the controll box is located since it not in the same location as my GX. I have 22" on my GX and I bypass the dash warning light. Turn them back on with a flip of a switch when I need to put the factory wheel back on during winter.

this is what i assum it look like on the IS, Hunter green color, manufacture by DENSO.

Anyone fine it let me know, i will show you how to add a toggle switch to turn them on & off. It probable in the passenger or driver kick panel or under the driver dash. It not under the glove box area like the GX. I don't have time to look for them.
Attached Thumbnails IS350 Wheels without pressure sensors?-tire-sensor.jpg  
Old 03-17-06, 04:04 PM
Galaxy 40
Pole Position

Can anybody post some pics of their "wheelbarrow" rim/tire.

Thanks

Quick Reply: IS350 Wheels without pressure sensors?