IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 Wheels without pressure sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-06, 04:28 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Since I don't own an IS (waiting for an MT or the M3 competitor to come) yet, I'm assuming that the warning light is in the instrument cluster (like most other cars.) If so, would a strategically placed piece of black electric tape in your line of sight work?
Old 03-17-06, 04:31 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by al503
Since I don't own an IS (waiting for an MT or the M3 competitor to come) yet, I'm assuming that the warning light is in the instrument cluster (like most other cars.) If so, would a strategically placed piece of black electric tape in your line of sight work?
It probably would, but it's not exactly an elegant solution, and it'll also leave some nasty residue on your gauge cluster.
Old 03-17-06, 04:37 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mcfly
It probably would, but it's not exactly an elegant solution, and it'll also leave some nasty residue on your gauge cluster.
Well, you could cut it out in a nice little circle or whatever shape. The tape residue is easy to take care of. Sure sounds a lot easier than the wheelbarrow wheel (although that's a good idea).
Old 03-17-06, 04:41 PM
sajonf
Driver

Originally Posted by al503
There are actually three things that happen when the warning goes off. The red "!" light is displayed in the middle of the instrument cluster, the orange tire pressure light flashes for a few minutes and then stays on and the information display displays "Check System"

Although they don't look great, I could live with the first two warning lights. What I couldn't stand was the information display constantly switching back to "Check System" You can scroll through all of the different settings on the information display (outside temp., avg. mpg, dist to empty, gear selection, etc.) but it will always switch back to "Check System" within ten seconds. I like to have the gear selection displayed at all times so that I know what gear the transmission is in, or display the dte when I am low on gas. That was what made me go to Lowe's to get the wheelbarrow tire.
Old 03-17-06, 05:34 PM
krookid
Driver

Do you just put the sensors in the spare tire/wheel barrow tire or do you have to drill holes etc. Could someone please explain the procedure step by step or at least post some pics anything would help, my wheels are here but I want to be able to tell the tire shop exactly what I want done.
Old 03-17-06, 05:41 PM
sajonf
Driver

Originally Posted by krookid
Do you just put the sensors in the spare tire/wheel barrow tire or do you have to drill holes etc. Could someone please explain the procedure step by step or at least post some pics anything would help, my wheels are here but I want to be able to tell the tire shop exactly what I want done.
It's real simple.. just get yourself a wheelbarrow tire mounted on a steel wheel at Lowe's or Home Depot. Then let the air out of it and break the bead. Next, use a screwdriver to pry the tire away from the wheel and stick all four pressure sensors inside. Re-inflate the tire (it will form a bead as you re-inflate it). Reset your tpms using the procedure defined in the owner's manual. Pics won't do you any good because all you will see is the outside of a wheelbarrow tire - not very exciting.
Old 03-17-06, 06:37 PM
Galaxy 40
Pole Position

Sajonf,

Did you purchase the "Arnold 16" Wheelbarrow Wheel" its $17 at Lowes website. there is also a 4x6, $22 and a 4x8 for $24,wonder whats the difference?(aside from the tread) How do you prevent the wheel from moving in the trunk?
Old 03-17-06, 07:04 PM
sajonf
Driver

Originally Posted by Galaxy 40
Sajonf,

Did you purchase the "Arnold 16" Wheelbarrow Wheel" its $17 at Lowes website. there is also a 4x6, $22 and a 4x8 for $24,wonder whats the difference?(aside from the tread) How do you prevent the wheel from moving in the trunk?
Yep, that's the one - item # 95598 $17.98

I just put it in a small cardboard box and put it up in the front of the trunk. I used one that is only about 4" tall and put a towel over the wheel. It hasn't moved since I put it in there, and I do some hard acceleration on occasion. Not the best solution but a solution that works nonetheless!!
Old 03-17-06, 07:15 PM
krookid
Driver

Since I am getting a custom sub/amp install done I will not have access to the spare tire so I could just get the tire shop to put the sensors in the spare tire right?
Old 03-17-06, 10:02 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sajonf
There are actually three things that happen when the warning goes off. The red "!" light is displayed in the middle of the instrument cluster, the orange tire pressure light flashes for a few minutes and then stays on and the information display displays "Check System"
Ah. Understood. That would be a pain.
Old 03-18-06, 04:03 PM
gqmracerx7
Driver School Candidate

Just thinking out loud here, but what about using a small section of PVC pipe with caps and Schrader valve... Put the sensors in and use a bicycle pump or whatever to pressurize it. Cheap, easy to make, and could be made relatively small to put wherever you want in the car

BTW here's a Schrader vavle with a 1/4 NPT fitting:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&v=glance
Old 03-18-06, 06:01 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sajonf
It's real simple.. just get yourself a wheelbarrow tire mounted on a steel wheel at Lowe's or Home Depot. Then let the air out of it and break the bead. Next, use a screwdriver to pry the tire away from the wheel and stick all four pressure sensors inside. Re-inflate the tire (it will form a bead as you re-inflate it). Reset your tpms using the procedure defined in the owner's manual. Pics won't do you any good because all you will see is the outside of a wheelbarrow tire - not very exciting.
Sanjonf: Dude, You need to go on that american inventor show on TV ! Thats genious !

Git-R-Done!
Old 03-19-06, 06:22 AM
sajonf
Driver

Originally Posted by GreyHound
Sanjonf: Dude, You need to go on that american inventor show on TV ! Thats genious !

Git-R-Done!
I can't take credit for the idea (found it here on these forums) but I agree, whoever thought of it has a creative mind..
Old 03-19-06, 03:12 PM
SPEED&ECO.
Lead Lap

on the subject of the tpms, if i got a set of after market rims how would i know is the pressure sensors would fit? after reading all the post i still dont get where they go.....
Old 03-20-06, 08:33 AM
Galaxy 40
Pole Position

sajonf,

When you removed the sensors out of the stock wheels/tire did you re-inflate them? if you did what valve stem did you use.