Snow chain

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-06, 10:49 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverBolt
Lexus does not make chains.
they don't but they do carry one for that wheel... that's why i didn't buy it cuz i just don't want that **** to scratch my rim..
Old 01-04-06, 12:11 PM
SilverBolt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give Tire Rack a call they should have a solution.
Old 01-04-06, 12:33 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by shaolin
this will be my first time driving up and probably 1 a year.

even if it snows hard i would still need some snow chains. no one got the chain yet in the east ??
As BobsGX said, no one in the East uses chains. I have had a couple people from the West Coast ask me about this. Even my aunt from LA was like, "Oh, now that it's winter, you must have bought some chains for your new car." No no no! No one here uses them.
Old 01-04-06, 12:52 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SilverBolt
Give Tire Rack a call they should have a solution.
i've posted and no reply from them. i've check the website and nothing so far...

i don't want to go up there and get stop by the chain monkey to tell us to put one on.

i might rent a car with same tire size as my friend so i can borrow his chain.

kinda want to drive the IS around though.....
Old 01-04-06, 12:57 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by shaolin
i've posted and no reply from them. i've check the website and nothing so far...

i don't want to go up there and get stop by the chain monkey to tell us to put one on.

i might rent a car with same tire size as my friend so i can borrow his chain.

kinda want to drive the IS around though.....
The chain monkey will put them on for you for a fee if you don't know how, it's the state police or motor vehicles that inspect and stop you.

Call Brandon at the Tire Rack rather than wait for him to post. Just look at his signature for the phone number and extension. Make sure to tell him you are from ClubLexus.
Old 01-04-06, 01:58 PM
HokiPoki
Driver School Candidate

did a google search for tire chains... second serarch result had some that should fit. These might fit. $102 or $78 = not cheap!

http://www.tirechainstore.com/home.php?cat=475
Old 01-04-06, 04:23 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HokiPoki
did a google search for tire chains... second serarch result had some that should fit. These might fit. $102 or $78 = not cheap!

http://www.tirechainstore.com/home.php?cat=475
he said 78 dollars is the one. i think this is the same one that the dealer is trying to sell me. the price after shipping is 40 dollars cheaper.

thanks for looking it up
Old 01-04-06, 06:42 PM
knox_sport
Driver

Default eager for the end of the story

I'm eager to hear how all this research works out...

I want a new IS and the 18" alloys/summer tires, but I have to realize here in East Tennessee that there is the possibility of a few snowfalls between December and March. Even with a light dusting I'd be afraid to drive the car (with summer tires) due to all the hills.

Instead of purchasing a 2nd set of wheels, keeping a beater for a rare snowfall, or tossing the summers and going to all-seasons, I was hoping I could keep a set of chains "just in case" we got a real snow. Then I'd have some way to get to work (not going in isn't an option).

Last year we had only one snow that was worth anything, and the roads wound up clearing by the time of the drive home. It's been that way a few years now.
Old 01-04-06, 08:03 PM
Donger
Driver

I have a set of chains (actually they are steel cables) I had to buy from the Chevron dealer in South Lake Tahoe. I was driving my GS400 with the 17's and summer tires when a freak storm came in a few years back. I was stuck in South Lake and they closed the road back up I-50 over the pass.

The cables fit fine and worked fairly good for the drive over the pass. I had a bit more room with them and they might even fit on the IS's 18's (didn't do the math, but bigger rim and lower sidewalls should be about the same size).

I payed about $75 in Tahoe with the roads closed - I way overpaid, but given the circumstances I was just happy to get out of there. The summer tires didn't do all that well up front. The cables helped the rears get traction (driving very slow), but I couldn't turn worth a darn at any speeds over 20 mph. I'd do a rental like others have suggested.

However, if you want to take an IS, I found cables at Auto Zone in the NoCal area for the big 19" steamrollers on my X5. They were about $55 for a set that fit on the fronts.
Old 01-04-06, 11:27 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Donger
I have a set of chains (actually they are steel cables) I had to buy from the Chevron dealer in South Lake Tahoe. I was driving my GS400 with the 17's and summer tires when a freak storm came in a few years back. I was stuck in South Lake and they closed the road back up I-50 over the pass.

The cables fit fine and worked fairly good for the drive over the pass. I had a bit more room with them and they might even fit on the IS's 18's (didn't do the math, but bigger rim and lower sidewalls should be about the same size).

I payed about $75 in Tahoe with the roads closed - I way overpaid, but given the circumstances I was just happy to get out of there. The summer tires didn't do all that well up front. The cables helped the rears get traction (driving very slow), but I couldn't turn worth a darn at any speeds over 20 mph. I'd do a rental like others have suggested.

However, if you want to take an IS, I found cables at Auto Zone in the NoCal area for the big 19" steamrollers on my X5. They were about $55 for a set that fit on the fronts.
thanks for the info. they have more 17 inch available.. plus 17 rim on GS normally come with thicker tires. i might just get rental depends on the weather condition. hopefully isn't as bad compared to last weekend...
Old 01-05-06, 06:09 PM
hofman_dzn
Driver School Candidate

Default Snow Chains

If you're planning on going to Tahoe or any other ski resorts on the west coast, snow chains are ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to have on a RWD IS if it plans on snowing while you're driving. During snowstorms, the roads are plowed marginally and there are snow chain checkpoints along the way. I've had my IS300 swap ends instantly once while crawling at 25~30 mph on the 395 to Mammoth simply because I was too lazy to stop and put my chains on.

You can pick up chains at any Pep Boys or Walmart, I think the ones for my old IS ran about 50 bucks for the set. They will have chains in stock for rwd is's with 17" wheels.

Now a question for everybody. Does anybody know where I can get chains for the IS350 w/ 18inch wheels? Pep Boys, Kragen and Walmart don't seem to have chains for a 255/40-18 tire.

Help!!! I need to get to Mammoth this weekend to ski all the fresh powder that just fell.
Old 01-05-06, 09:46 PM
Donger
Driver

Check here http://www.scc-chain.com/Pages%20Tra...pp%20guide.asp

They have 2 options of different types of chains/cables for a 255/40-18 tire.

SCC Products for: 255/40-18
New 2004 Z-Chain Z-555
Super Z6 SZ 143

Looks like Napa carries them.

If all else fails, look for a cable that fits a 235/45-17. The tire is only 2 inches longer in circumference and 3/4 inches wider. There appeared to be enough slop in the chains I used on my GS to more than cover that.
Old 01-05-06, 09:55 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Donger
Check here http://www.scc-chain.com/Pages%20Tra...pp%20guide.asp

They have 2 options of different types of chains/cables for a 255/40-18 tire.

SCC Products for: 255/40-18
New 2004 Z-Chain Z-555
Super Z6 SZ 143 <--- this is the one that dealer and others offer

Looks like Napa carries them.

If all else fails, look for a cable that fits a 235/45-17. The tire is only 2 inches longer in circumference and 3/4 inches wider. There appeared to be enough slop in the chains I used on my GS to more than cover that.

good looking up guys
Old 01-05-06, 10:00 PM
Donger
Driver

And one more while I am at it. Not the exact size, but very close.

http://www.tirechain.com/P255-45-18.htm
Old 11-15-07, 04:33 AM
Kepa IS
Driver School Candidate

Anyone has used this chains for a IS220d?.
In the users manual it is said chains are not allowed in 255/40-18 tires

Quick Reply: Snow chain