IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dirty wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-06, 03:40 PM
accelerate
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirty wheels?

I've had my is350 for four days and the wheels are really dirty, specially the front ones, full of brake dust. Plus when I went to wash the car the break dust was not coming off very easy. I had to use some cleaner wax on them on some spots anybody else with this problem .
Old 01-01-06, 03:53 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by accelerate
I've had my is350 for four days and the wheels are really dirty, specially the front ones, full of brake dust. Plus when I went to wash the car the break dust was not coming off very easy. I had to use some cleaner wax on them on some spots anybody else with this problem .
Same problem with the GS430. They're metallic-based pads, so they flake off really quickly while providing better brake performance. If it's a problem, your best bet is honestly to change your braking habits. GS430 = Brake-by-wire
Old 01-01-06, 06:35 PM
Serene
Driver School Candidate

California mini duster is simple and easy to use once a week only takes 5 minutes:

http://www.calcarcover.com/product.aspx?id=1021&cid=101

If you want to go a step further, use Rejex on your wheels, it does a good job of minimizing the amount of brake dust that sticks works well:

http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html

Rejex can also be used for body of the car, especially front end with all the crap builds up on there.

Good Luck
Old 01-01-06, 06:47 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by accelerate
EVERYONE, including GS430 owners, has this observation. That's the tradeoff for high performance brakes.
Old 01-01-06, 06:55 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Serene
California mini duster is simple and easy to use once a week only takes 5 minutes:

http://www.calcarcover.com/product.aspx?id=1021&cid=101

If you want to go a step further, use Rejex on your wheels, it does a good job of minimizing the amount of brake dust that sticks works well:

http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html

Rejex can also be used for body of the car, especially front end with all the crap builds up on there.

Good Luck
Cal mini duster can't get between the narrower spokes, plus the duster will get extremely filthy and grimy before the month is over.
Old 01-01-06, 09:58 PM
Scooter24
Rookie

Originally Posted by jlin101
Cal mini duster can't get between the narrower spokes, plus the duster will get extremely filthy and grimy before the month is over.
Has anyone tried the california dust buster for the exterior of their car (except for the wheels)? I would be interested in hearing how well it picks up dust from the hood of the car and if it scratches the hood at all.

I live in Arizona and it gets extremely dusty here.

Thanks in advance for the inputs.
Old 01-01-06, 10:26 PM
Morrissey
Driver

Originally Posted by Scooter24
Has anyone tried the california dust buster for the exterior of their car (except for the wheels)? I would be interested in hearing how well it picks up dust from the hood of the car and if it scratches the hood at all.

Yes, I've been using the Cali Car Duster on the exterior of my black IS350 as well as my previous car, a black 350Z. I've never noticed scratches from it. It works quite well too.

I spoke with the owner of Detailer's Paradise in Denver. I asked him specifically if the Cali Car Duster was safe and scratch-free, and he swore by it.
Old 01-01-06, 10:41 PM
Scooter24
Rookie

Morrissey - thanks!

I too have a black IS350 - just got it and want to do my best to keep the scratches away.
Old 01-01-06, 11:13 PM
Morrissey
Driver

Morrissey - thanks!

I too have a black IS350 - just got it and want to do my best to keep the scratches away.
No problem. I've had my car for a month and a half and just noticed some fine scratches in my paint. I was wondering how it happened since I'm careful with how my car is washed, then I realized the dealership cleaned my car when I got it serviced a few weeks ago

It's not a big deal though. Since it's still winter time here I'm not gonna bother detailing my car until the spring. When I do, I'll take care of the fine scratches on my paint. The good thing is it's pretty easy to remove the scratches when you take it to a right detailer.

I'm jealous of you and your lack of snow in Arizona. It must be awesome to be able to detail your car 365 days a year!
Old 01-02-06, 06:49 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

it works well for removing dust from the hood/trunk without scratching, as long as u use it as directed--gently brushing over the car. It is no substitute for car wash, though; I wouldn't use it on the lower sides of the car where dirt accumulated (same way you wash the top side of the car before the lower half).
Old 01-02-06, 08:20 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tryed using a "brake dust repellent" made by "eagle one" and
it didn't help much at all..
Old 01-02-06, 04:04 PM
accelerate
Lead Lap

Default Dirty wheels

I think I found a soultion for the wheels Dupont wheel cleaner. Safe on all wheels even gold ones, safe on car paint for bugs or sap. You don't even have test spot on wheels. But haven't tried the product yet , just picked it up from Target. Next car wash I'll know.
Old 01-02-06, 04:23 PM
QikSilvr
Driver

I have used Meguire's "Hot Wheels" for years on my M3 with no spots or damage.
Nothing will remove 100% of the brake dust but it will get the grime off so a gentle wash will finish the job.
I spray the wheels lightly with Turtle Wax spray after I dry them with the air compressor.

I am going to try the ReJex to see what it does, if I can find it.
Old 01-02-06, 04:46 PM
accelerate
Lead Lap

Default Dirty Wheels

Yea supposivly the cleaner leaves a teflon on the wheels after you clean them, so they stay cleaner longer, and next time they will clean easer. Will see!
Old 01-03-06, 12:33 AM
ONEdirty23
Pole Position

Where would I find ReJex at? I picked up some wheel cleaner/brake dust repellent from Wal Mart, made by Prestone. Works pretty good, but I want to try out some other products too. Cleaning my wheels once a day is getting tiresome now haha

Quick Reply: Dirty wheels?