IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The 06 IS250 will turn into the 07 IS300 confirmed!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-05, 02:50 PM
OUMalibu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Japanese auto makers often do a mid-cycle upgrade (sometimes cosmetic, sometimes more) to keep interest in the model. Typically, this is done in the 2nd or 3rd year... I've never seen it done after only one.
Old 12-31-05, 02:54 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Well, as been mentioned before, they are trying to upgrade more frequent now like the Germans to keep interest in the model high throughout the model cycle. I think the GS will get new engines after only 1 1/2 years. It may be the same for the IS, we'll see . . .
Old 12-31-05, 04:18 PM
knox_sport
Driver

Default not buying it, so soon

I can see them doing this in the 3rd year (for the 08 model year), but not next year. There's no way. It doesn't jive with the mid-cycle upgrades their guy spoke about at a press conference last year.

And I don't see Toyota selling 3 engines in the IS for the US market. No way.

Cough up the scan of the letter and we'll consider it. Until then, it's just talk...
Old 12-31-05, 11:47 PM
paeko73
Pole Position

Originally Posted by purebliss
I have found out today that in Aug of 06 the IS250 will turn into the IS300. It will get the engine that the GS300 has now and the the GS300 will get the 3.5 and turn into the GS350. This is confirmed in a email that someone at Lexus has fwd to me. I am going to try to black out the names on the fwd and scan it and post it. I am not sure if the hp or anything elsewill be the same as the current GS300 but I will let you know and hopefully find a way to post this. So beware if your intersted in the IS250 that the dealers should know by now that it will not be here for long. My contact who sent it to me subjected it to me the "curse of the 250".
True or not?? Let's give our brother Purebliss a chance to scan and post his email.
Old 01-01-06, 01:52 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I seriously doubt this as the IS 300 still will be a mid-high 6 second car, still obviously slower than the 350.
Again, WILL SOME OF YOU ALL UNDERSTAND ITS NOT ABOUT HP!?!?!? THAT IS NOT THE MAIN MOTIVATION FOR PEOPLE BUYING THESE CARS, ITS ABOUT IMAGE AND LUXURY AS WELL!!
Well it may not be ALL about hp, but i think it is somewhat of a significant factor here. I'm sure you remember just as I do all the press statements of former GM Denny Clement talking about how they wanna take a better stab at the 3-series this time, yada yada yada. If its true that BMW is going to up the ante power-wise soon, that'll make the IS250 less competitive in this "sport" sedan segment. If the entry 3-series, 325 or 328 or whatever its going to be, has 230-240 hp, its going to be significantly faster than the IS250 with its approximate 205. I'm not sure if its short-gearing or what, but BMW always manages to rip pretty good acceleration times off seemingly low hp numbers. A 3-series with 30 more hp than the IS will be a significantly faster car. The BMW also wins in the fun to drive category as bimmers mostly do. And then look at the threat from Infiniti, the current G35 has almost 300hp, and the new one more than that. And if the price of the new G starts in low 30's again, thats just another competitor with gobs more power. As someone mentioned, there's a big enough gap in power between the 250 and 350 to justify people spending an extra 8,000 or so for the IS350. Now what if there was a new Infiniti G37/40 that has 100-120hp MORE than the IS250... all at a baseprice of 33,000 or so. The IS may have a nicer interior, but if the current trend continues, the Infiniti will have a road-feel and handling closer to BMW than Lexus does. As much as I love Lexus, there's almost no way i would get the IS250 over that new G..... thats just too significant of a gap in performance. If the IS loses to the competition in driving dynamics and speed, it has to win over customers then on the basis of its styling and features. Thats placing A WHOLE LOT of faith in hoping that customers value the style and packaging of a sport sedan over performance.... and I'm sure there are customers out there who'd still be willing to buy the Lexus for these reasons, but would it be enough customers to meet their projected sales? And considering Lexus wants to sell majority of the IS model in the 250 variant.... do they really want to bring a half-loaded gun to the battle field?

Look what happened last generation. The IS didn't have enough power. I really would've liked to see if IS300 sales would've slumped so much in the last couple years of the 1st generation if they would've refreshed it mid-cycle with a more powerful engine. Call it bench racing, but most of the magazines said the IS300's main downfall was lack of power compared with the competition.....it had the sharp-edged handling and aggressive styling to compete well in the category.
Old 01-01-06, 02:28 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When the IS250/350 first came to light I personally had always felt they should have made it an IS300 with more HP than the 05 IS300, and also the IS350 with the 300+ HP. So, with this new although uncofirmed news, I would say this is what they should have release at the start for the 06 IS. That being said, could it be possible that in Europe and other countries they will continue to sell the IS250 just as they did with the last IS where North America got the IS300, but the other countriees got the IS200 and other smaller engine variations. This would make perfect sense to me. Sell the IS300 and IS350 in the states and sell the IS250 and IS200D or whatever the deisel one is called over seas. I honestly hope this news is true. I ruled out the IS250 from the start, but if they do come out with an IS300 with 245 HP, I would actually consider one.
Old 01-01-06, 06:08 AM
TED_FR
Driver

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
When the IS250/350 first came to light I personally had always felt they should have made it an IS300 with more HP than the 05 IS300, and also the IS350 with the 300+ HP. So, with this new although uncofirmed news, I would say this is what they should have release at the start for the 06 IS. That being said, could it be possible that in Europe and other countries they will continue to sell the IS250 just as they did with the last IS where North America got the IS300, but the other countriees got the IS200 and other smaller engine variations. This would make perfect sense to me. Sell the IS300 and IS350 in the states and sell the IS250 and IS200D or whatever the deisel one is called over seas. I honestly hope this news is true. I ruled out the IS250 from the start, but if they do come out with an IS300 with 245 HP, I would actually consider one.

I really see no reason why we sould only get the IS250 (and IS220d) in Europe, since the IS250 has less power than former IS300, and you guys over there would get the IS300 AND IS350 which anyway would be far too close one from eachother in words of pricing. It does not make any sense to me. We DO need either the IS350 or an IS300 to compete with german cars.

Here an IS250 Pack executive (208 hp) fully loaded comes at the very same price as Mercedes Benz E280 (yes "E" not "C") Avant Garge / Sport edition with 18" wheels (231 hp).
Old 01-01-06, 08:34 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
Well it may not be ALL about hp, but i think it is somewhat of a significant factor here. I'm sure you remember just as I do all the press statements of former GM Denny Clement talking about how they wanna take a better stab at the 3-series this time, yada yada yada. If its true that BMW is going to up the ante power-wise soon, that'll make the IS250 less competitive in this "sport" sedan segment. If the entry 3-series, 325 or 328 or whatever its going to be, has 230-240 hp, its going to be significantly faster than the IS250 with its approximate 205. I'm not sure if its short-gearing or what, but BMW always manages to rip pretty good acceleration times off seemingly low hp numbers. A 3-series with 30 more hp than the IS will be a significantly faster car. The BMW also wins in the fun to drive category as bimmers mostly do. And then look at the threat from Infiniti, the current G35 has almost 300hp, and the new one more than that. And if the price of the new G starts in low 30's again, thats just another competitor with gobs more power. As someone mentioned, there's a big enough gap in power between the 250 and 350 to justify people spending an extra 8,000 or so for the IS350. Now what if there was a new Infiniti G37/40 that has 100-120hp MORE than the IS250... all at a baseprice of 33,000 or so. The IS may have a nicer interior, but if the current trend continues, the Infiniti will have a road-feel and handling closer to BMW than Lexus does. As much as I love Lexus, there's almost no way i would get the IS250 over that new G..... thats just too significant of a gap in performance. If the IS loses to the competition in driving dynamics and speed, it has to win over customers then on the basis of its styling and features. Thats placing A WHOLE LOT of faith in hoping that customers value the style and packaging of a sport sedan over performance.... and I'm sure there are customers out there who'd still be willing to buy the Lexus for these reasons, but would it be enough customers to meet their projected sales? And considering Lexus wants to sell majority of the IS model in the 250 variant.... do they really want to bring a half-loaded gun to the battle field?

Look what happened last generation. The IS didn't have enough power. I really would've liked to see if IS300 sales would've slumped so much in the last couple years of the 1st generation if they would've refreshed it mid-cycle with a more powerful engine. Call it bench racing, but most of the magazines said the IS300's main downfall was lack of power compared with the competition.....it had the sharp-edged handling and aggressive styling to compete well in the category.

WHen a car company offers 2 or more engine choices in the same car, the cheaper car, which has the smaller engine, ALWAYS outsells the more powerful, more expensive car. People on the internet are the miniority of owners, barely a drop in the bucket.
Just look at the 5 series, they sell 1500 184ho 525s EVERY MONTH, more than the 300hp RL and they are priced near one another when u look at options and discounts. They sell maybe 500 550s a month. That is 3 to 1.

Infiniti and the G have to have more power and be a cheaper car, otherwise, they will sit on lots. THey cannot command premium pricing yet as they are still in the middle of revitilization. THe brand has no image, which is a HUGE factor when it comes to buying luxury cars.

The vast majority of buyers know 3 names. BMW, Lexus, Benz. They aspire to it. People do cross shop but those 3's IMAGE is now at a point where they offer cars with less power for the same or more money and people are more than willing to buy the car.

PEAK HORSEPOWER RATINGS are not what the luxury segment is about. It simply is not.

In this segment, priorites are different. If people wanted HP, they would just buy Mustang GTs. That is NOT the driving force for this segment. Its about IMAGE, LUXURY, PRESTIGE, FEATURES, STYLE.

For those that are concerned with peak horsepower ratings, they can choose that particular car. Those buyers are no where near the majority.

In Europe, they sell a 165hp 520. Guess what. It sells like hotcakes.
Old 01-01-06, 08:46 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

It use to be for BMW that if you owned a BMW years and years ago, you knew you were a group of special buyers but now every corner I turn I see another 3 series, of course great for BMW but for me I hate to see everyone else with the same car as me. Anyone else feel like that.?

That's why it's great for Lexus to offer a lower model of the new IS but I just hope in a few years I'm not seeing one on every corner. That is what is so special about the Lexus SC400's there are so few around everytime I drive mine, people are looking and asking me about it, taking second glances, it's a one of a kind car and not copied.
Old 01-01-06, 08:47 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The vast majority of buyers know 3 names. BMW, Lexus, Benz. They aspire to it. People do cross shop but those 3's IMAGE is now at a point where they offer cars with less power for the same or more money and people are more than willing to buy the car.

PEAK HORSEPOWER RATINGS are not what the luxury segment is about. It simply is not.
There are several factors that make a car a "Luxury" car. Although I understand your viewpoint that HP is not everything, it is something that will define a car more luxurious than the next.

For example, between BMW and Lexus, the 3-Series and the IS battle over HP. They have been battling over the 330's 255 hp and the IS350's 306 hp. Note that in all commercials, they have not been battling over (or advertising heavily) the 325's 215 hp and the IS250's 204 hp. Although both cars will sell, one of the main marketing ploys is "more power means more luxury."

Lexus will make a big mistake with a 2007 IS300. If Lexus wants more HP, change the 350, not the 250. The 250 appleals to the masses that knows that 204 hp is enough at most times. It is only a few enthusiasts that will appreciate that the IS300 will have approx 11 hp more.

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 01-01-06 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-01-06, 09:20 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
It use to be for BMW that if you owned a BMW years and years ago, you knew you were a group of special buyers
Quite true. Back in the '70s, when my dad got his first Bimmer, they were so rare that owners used to flash their headlights at each other as a sign of recognition.
Old 01-01-06, 10:01 AM
TED_FR
Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
There are several factors that make a car a "Luxury" car. Although I understand your viewpoint that HP is not everything, it is something that will define a car more luxurious than the next.

For example, between BMW and Lexus, the 3-Series and the IS battle over HP. They have been battling over the 330's 255 hp and the IS350's 306 hp. Note that in all commercials, they have not been battling over (or advertising heavily) the 325's 215 hp and the IS250's 204 hp. Although both cars will sell, one of the main marketing ploys is "more power means more luxury."

Lexus will make a big mistake with a 2007 IS300. If Lexus wants more HP, change the 350, not the 250. The 250 appleals to the masses that knows that 204 hp is enough at most times. It is only a few enthusiasts that will appreciate that the IS300 will have approx 11 hp more.
Well, we are not talking about 11 hp, but rather 40 hp between the 2.5 (208 hp) and the 3.0 (249 hp). Further more "moxe luxury calls for more power" the IS250 is quite heavy, heavier than competition, and given the price of it, it HAS to get more power , or alternatively the price has to be lowered. Actually the perfect model line for Europe would be a mass model IS200 AND IS300, that would sell much more than a single and EXPENSIVE underpowered (for the top of the line) IS250.
Old 01-01-06, 01:15 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I for one don't mind if the IS 250 gets replaced so soon, as an IS 250 AWD owner. I bought the car more for the luxury than the performance. IS 250 AWD is just to hold me over for a couple years when I can pick up the new GS'es.

What Lexus really needs to do in spite of some possible engine changes for 2007, is bring out a 6-speed manual version of the IS 350. I think that's actually much more important than replacing the IS 250's engine with the 3.0L from the GS 300.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 01-01-06, 03:14 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TED_FR

I really see no reason why we sould only get the IS250 (and IS220d) in Europe, since the IS250 has less power than former IS300, and you guys over there would get the IS300 AND IS350 which anyway would be far too close one from eachother in words of pricing. It does not make any sense to me. We DO need either the IS350 or an IS300 to compete with german cars.

Here an IS250 Pack executive (208 hp) fully loaded comes at the very same price as Mercedes Benz E280 (yes "E" not "C") Avant Garge / Sport edition with 18" wheels (231 hp).
I guess you guys can have the 300 and 350 as well if it sells. I'm just saying that if the US had all 3 choices IS250, IS300, and IS350, the IS250 IMHO would be the weak seller. If an IS300 came out I don't see any reason for an IS250 at all. Gas prices are not as high as it is in Europe over here so we don't need a smaller engine just yet. Maybe when we hit $5.00 a gallon things will change.
Old 01-01-06, 04:00 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OUMalibu
Japanese auto makers often do a mid-cycle upgrade (sometimes cosmetic, sometimes more) to keep interest in the model. Typically, this is done in the 2nd or 3rd year... I've never seen it done after only one.
Acura TSX 04-05 had some cosmetic changes

I could honestly see the IS300 selling better than the 250. The 250 is honestly a little underpowered, although it does compete evenly with everything in its class (TSX, 325i, C230)

Quick Reply: The 06 IS250 will turn into the 07 IS300 confirmed!!