IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-07, 08:17 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DoHwan
The ground wire really does that much? I'm thinking the ground wire for the ebrake is just a wire to make sure that people don't drive while watching movies. I'm hoping that that's the only function of that wire that everyone is grounding for enabling the use of watching dvd's. I don't think it'll affect the navigation at all, unless I'm totally wrong which is why I asked ANYONE only do the ground for the nav unit?
I could be mistaken, but the ground wire is what tricks the system into working at all speeds, because the system thinks you are parked. So therefore it would likely lead to jumpy nav at all speeds, no? Again, I apologize if I'm wrong. Someone correct me if that's the case.
Old 11-06-07, 08:33 AM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jg71q

The switch I used, which looks great in one of the empty spots on the dash is the Scion OEM Style GSW-45 Rocker Switch (On/Off Style) for $7.99 from http://www.oznium.com. The switch was on my doorstep 4 days after I ordered it online and with about two minutes of filling on the dash opening, it fits really well and looks OEM.
Would you have a picture of the switch installed? I also want to add a switch to my hack but I want to make sure it looks OEM.

Anybody else installed a switch? Any pictures?
Old 11-06-07, 10:27 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Gotta do both... There are 2 checks to watch movies:

1) Is car stopped?
2) Is parking brake engaged?

So, the full hack is necessary.

NO jumpy nav...
Old 11-06-07, 06:56 PM
DoHwan
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanx for all the input. You guys are awesome like always. peace.
Old 12-18-07, 01:33 PM
IMS350
Driver School Candidate

Do you know if this fix will work with an 08 ES350?
Old 01-08-08, 09:42 AM
anwallac
Rookie

I know the Nav Hack is an old monster, but I have a question I couldn't really find much info on.

Is it possible to extract the connector Pins from the wiring harness clips on the backof the HU and connect the removed pins to complete the Nav Hack? If so has anyone done it this way and have a good method to get them free from the plastic clip? I would think this would be a great way to be able to go back to stock if the need ever came up. I am thinking a paper clip or very small flat head could push them out somehow. I am not 100% sure for this application but I have seen it done on other harnesses.

I plan on doing this along w/installing the new Vais SL2Vi video ipod adaptor. I will review it when I get it all together. Just making sure I have a thorough plan of attack.
Old 01-08-08, 10:03 AM
tomv
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anwallac
I know the Nav Hack is an old monster, but I have a question I couldn't really find much info on.

Is it possible to extract the connector Pins from the wiring harness clips on the backof the HU and connect the removed pins to complete the Nav Hack? If so has anyone done it this way and have a good method to get them free from the plastic clip? I would think this would be a great way to be able to go back to stock if the need ever came up. I am thinking a paper clip or very small flat head could push them out somehow. I am not 100% sure for this application but I have seen it done on other harnesses.

I plan on doing this along w/installing the new Vais SL2Vi video ipod adaptor. I will review it when I get it all together. Just making sure I have a thorough plan of attack.

I've used a small screw driver like for eyeglasses, put I've had the most luck with a sewing needle.
Old 01-08-08, 10:06 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by anwallac

Yes, this is an EXCELLENT way to do it... I did the headlamp washer hack this way, and would have done the nav hack this way had I had the proper tools... You will need a VERY VERY small point, almost like a needle in order to remove the connector pins from the wiring harness... I think a paper clip may be too thick, but you can try... Really, you want a FLAT tip, like a VERY tiny flathead screwdriver...

However, if you have ML, and want to watch DVD videos, you will need to ground the harness end of the parking brake wire, which means you will be forced to cut that wire... That is, unless you can get your hands on an extra wire with connector that you could put in place of the parking wire... But you'd probably have to buy the entire harness to get that... It's up to you if it's worth it (guess it depends on how much it costs)

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 01-09-08, 11:03 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

okay so i took the risk today and followed what Technique did. i have a switch from radioshack, wired up everything as explained....now i have no climte, no display, radio works but no display? i pulled it back out. i used a crimp tool and butt ends...have installed stereo stuff in the past so used to this kind of stuff? so im lost here as to what could be the issue? do i need to reset something?

i grounded the red wire to the side of the nav/radio unit. so with all my conections i should be good at all points? im going to see if i blew any fuse but not sure what else i can check?

**edit** so now if i touch the pink wire and it has connection, like in stock use, i have display and ac and everything else seems to be working??? i have and 07 also...Technique if you are i could use your thinking cap.
thanks!

Last edited by passnu2; 01-09-08 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-09-08, 11:50 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by passnu2
okay so i took the risk today and followed what Technique did. i have a switch from radioshack, wired up everything as explained....now i have no climte, no display, radio works but no display? i pulled it back out. i used a crimp tool and butt ends...have installed stereo stuff in the past so used to this kind of stuff? so im lost here as to what could be the issue? do i need to reset something?

i grounded the red wire to the side of the nav/radio unit. so with all my conections i should be good at all points? im going to see if i blew any fuse but not sure what else i can check?

**edit** so now if i touch the pink wire and it has connection, like in stock use, i have display and ac and everything else seems to be working??? i have and 07 also...Technique if you are i could use your thinking cap.
thanks!
Hey, check your wiring... Somewhere you are probably making a mistake... It's very common... I even did the same thing and had some weird symptoms and I realized I had the wrong gray/white wire... check the instructions on the first post of this thread again carefully, and read my post on installing the switch...

Check, check, and double check and I bet you will find where you made the errror
Old 01-09-08, 12:11 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

okay....so from above post.

know i have the pink wire back to factory like connection. i have the white wire "only" cut and not connected. i have the red wire grounded....

i now have display again and full control of a/c unit. dvd plays when im parked but when i start to drive it cuts off. the navi is very slow and jumps to catch up assuming from the white wire? this is interesting? i also removed the swithc and just had white and pink together i get no display and no controls work for the display or a/c...

im open for suggestions here. i have an 07 but im wondering if they have moved the wires around on us??
Old 01-09-08, 12:32 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by passnu2
okay....so from above post.

know i have the pink wire back to factory like connection. i have the white wire "only" cut and not connected. i have the red wire grounded....

i now have display again and full control of a/c unit. dvd plays when im parked but when i start to drive it cuts off. the navi is very slow and jumps to catch up assuming from the white wire? this is interesting? i also removed the swithc and just had white and pink together i get no display and no controls work for the display or a/c...

im open for suggestions here. i have an 07 but im wondering if they have moved the wires around on us??
Wires are the same from 2006-2008, no changes.

All I can say is to read, and re-read the first post... Make sure you have cut the CORRECT wires... Remember, you are connecting the pink and white/silver coming from the wireloom... So, NEITHER wire will be connected to the nav unit connector after you cut it...
Old 01-09-08, 01:29 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Technique
Hey, check your wiring... Somewhere you are probably making a mistake... It's very common... I even did the same thing and had some weird symptoms and I realized I had the wrong gray/white wire... check the instructions on the first post of this thread again carefully, and read my post on installing the switch...

Check, check, and double check and I bet you will find where you made the errror
another one working!!!!

okay so easy mistake but maybe a good one for the rest of us! there is an orange/peach color wire...well when i did this the first time i lost my display and controls. so it seems as if this wire controls the display so if you where to add monitors to the back headrests i would assume this would work. i just might try this now to see how it will work.

thanks guys! this is perfect and really only took 30 min to do. i made a mistake that took some time, what i get for working in a dark garage with not that much light.

Old 01-11-08, 08:57 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Default pic of switch installed

okay i went a different direction with the switch. i installed it in a easy to use that did require a hole to be drilled out. took all of 5 min to install and i like that its easy to use where its located. enjoy!! also to note i choose that spot as there are many things that would get in the way so i couldnt hide it as much as i wanted. so if you choose this location please make sure your switch has enough room.
Attached Thumbnails Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving-dscf0062.jpg  
Old 01-12-08, 03:59 PM
DROBB
Driver School Candidate

I just did the nav hack and all i am able to do is access the phone. Am i supposed to be able to enter addresses and POI's. Is there something that was done wrong please let me know thanks

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving