IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Things that bug you about the IS 250/350

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-05, 03:56 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Just in case you haven't tried the override..

Originally Posted by Bichon
Because their attempt to limit liability diminishes my enjoyment of the car (albeit slightly ). If there were two otherwise equal cars on the market, one with a nav nanny and one without, I'd buy the one without.

I'm not sure what features you are talking about. Cars have had radios, climate control systems (in some cars a virtual sea of buttons on the dash) for years. Yes, a car must be designed properly, .e.g, pedal in the right place to reduce the likelyhood of unintended acceleration, etc., but I don't believe that locking out features in the nav system falls into that category. I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree on that point.
You can go to the menu page and volume and hit the top left corner then bottom left, top left, bottom left and then hold override until it beeps. If you are negotiating through traffic even this activity can get your eyes off the road so be careful... If you have someone in the passenger seat then let them override away..

Rock
Old 12-23-05, 04:28 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
You can go to the menu page and volume and hit the top left corner then bottom left, top left, bottom left and then hold override until it beeps. If you are negotiating through traffic even this activity can get your eyes off the road so be careful... If you have someone in the passenger seat then let them override away..

Rock
Thanks, I actually was familiar with the override. Problem is that it doesn't unlock the functions I want most, i.e., bluetooth phone book and mp3 player folder/file controls.
Old 12-27-05, 12:07 PM
Stanzilla
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default elephant ears

• side & rear visibility was better -- it's a challenge, even with those elephant ear mirrors

LMFAO, they are big aren't they. I noticed that when I was test driving the car. they seem a bit to square to me as well. Not a big issue though, I still bought the car.
Visibility is going to take some getting accustomed to for me. Coming from a Beetle Turbo S, the cabin feels very tight and the windows small, after all. I've been driving around in a goofey Red bubble for 3 years
Old 12-27-05, 01:07 PM
06LexIS350
Driver School Candidate

Default The wood on my 350 scratches very easy~

Be CAREFUL...I only have 380 miles on my 06 IS350 and the stupid wood is scratched. This is worse then the Apple Nano scratch issue. All that happened was a plastic hose brushed across it...It made deep scatches..

Lexus says $1900 to replace which is almost 5% of cost of car....YIKES...This is a total design error on Lexus part. I am going to take them to court. You should be able to use the car with "Normal" wear..but this is insane.

Also, there are 2 silver inserts by the gearshift....if you brush them with your hand they will scratch

This is my first Lexus...I love the car, but, this cosmetic stuff is CRAP....I should be feeling good right now, but instead I think the car is trash....

I called the 1800 number to see if they can help. I just want them to do the right thing here....
It is an obvious quality/design error....

Be warned...If you get this car with wood....don't even touch it or it will scratch~
Old 12-27-05, 02:38 PM
typo
Driver School Candidate

Default bugs me

Originally Posted by dennis250
You know what the worst thing is about this car????

I can't find one with lux and nav!!!!!

amen brotha!
Old 12-27-05, 02:43 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Because their attempt to limit liability diminishes my enjoyment of the car (albeit slightly ). If there were two otherwise equal cars on the market, one with a nav nanny and one without, I'd buy the one without.

I'm not sure what features you are talking about. Cars have had radios, climate control systems (in some cars a virtual sea of buttons on the dash) for years. Yes, a car must be designed properly, .e.g, pedal in the right place to reduce the likelyhood of unintended acceleration, etc., but I don't believe that locking out features in the nav system falls into that category. I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree on that point.
yes, cars have had stereo for a long time--but now with MP3 capability comes folders/file names that can keep your eyes off the road while you search for a file. Although I, too, don't like the folder/file name blanking out when the car is moving, I understand Lexus's need to protect its own interest. You are absolutely correct that each driver should take responsibility for his own actions, but the juries don't always see it that way. American juries tend to side with the "underdogs" or "innocent/naive consumers, " and presume that manufacturers should know better than the consumers. So if a manufacturer puts things on the screen that can potentially distract the driver, it can be held accountable in the event of an accident, given the abundance of ambulance-chasing bloodhounds. I still remember a case where a newly wed couple rented a Ford on their honeymoon. The husband was driving while the wife sat in the front passenger seat with the seatback reclined. The husband fell asleep and drove off a cliff, resulting in his wife's permanent brain injury. Well, the husband sued the rental company for not having a manual in the glovebox, and the car company for making defective seatbelts. The evidence: on the visor was a sticker saying that the seatbelt might not function properly if the seat was not in the upright position; the husband therefore argued that the car maker already knew the seatbelt wouldn't work but didn't corret it. Never mind he was the one who fell asleep and went off the road.
Old 12-27-05, 07:05 PM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No change holder
Paint chips easily, only had the car 5 days and already have 3 stone chips in 400 miles
Rear wheels sit to far in, need to pushed out further, thinking of wheel spacers
Amber in tails fixed that see pic
Old 12-27-05, 07:24 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Three more things, two related to the nav:
1. People have already mentioned this, but the nav gives too much guidance. How many times do I have to hear "proceed on the current road"??? That's what I was going to do anyway!!!
2. I wish there was a way to trace out your route with your finger and then get guidance along that route. Or, have it remember which way you drove from point A to point B, and then next time you take the same trip, remember which route you took. On long trips, it is sometimes impossible to get it to say exactly the route you want to take (if you already know which way you want to go). I know, some people will say, if you already know which way you are going, then why do you need the guidance on. Well, I like to have it tell me how long until the next turn, lane guidance at intersections, etc. I would say that the nav is good for helping you get from A to B if you have no idea how to get there. But if you know your route and want it to give you guidance along a specific route, it can be impossible to get the exact right route.
3. In certain areas, the car should come with all-season tires. It's not a sporty enough car for Lexus to assume that buyers in the northeast, midwest, etc will only be driving it during the summer. Give us all seasons standard in these areas.
Old 12-27-05, 09:21 PM
mofogasm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jherb350
No change holder
Paint chips easily, only had the car 5 days and already have 3 stone chips in 400 miles
Rear wheels sit to far in, need to pushed out further, thinking of wheel spacers
Amber in tails fixed that see pic
what did you use to get rid of the amber
Old 12-27-05, 10:26 PM
muzzman1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drive While Checking MP3 folders, and dianling phone with keypad

Thanks, I actually was familiar with the override. Problem is that it doesn't unlock the functions I want most, i.e., bluetooth phone book and mp3 player folder/file controls.

I figured out a way to allow us to use the dial pad, browse MP3's etc here is the complete post...read all of my posts, for details...if you need help or any q's let me know

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=muzzman1
Old 12-28-05, 05:46 AM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mofogasm
what did you use to get rid of the amber
If you look closely you can see where I put red vinyl over the amber portion of the light. That pic was taken shortly after I had the vinyl on. I have since trimmed it for a cleaner look. My brother had some left over from when he did is RSX-S, but you can pick the stuff up on ebay.

Red Vinyl on ebay
Old 12-28-05, 10:33 AM
tim817
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jherb350
If you look closely you can see where I put red vinyl over the amber portion of the light. That pic was taken shortly after I had the vinyl on. I have since trimmed it for a cleaner look. My brother had some left over from when he did is RSX-S, but you can pick the stuff up on ebay.

Red Vinyl on ebay
How does it look in daytime? Is it easy to tell if you have the viyl on when looking at it?
Old 12-28-05, 10:56 AM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tim817
How does it look in daytime? Is it easy to tell if you have the viyl on when looking at it?
If your looking for it you will notice a bit of a color difference, but from about 4 feet away you can't really tell. A guy that I work with, fellow car nut, didn't even notice it till I pointed it out. He did notice the large brakes as they are close to the sizes of the ones on his Viper.
Old 12-28-05, 10:58 AM
tim817
Intermediate

Thanks, that will be my next mod...
Old 12-28-05, 04:19 PM
pita2go
Driver

my biggest complaint is that they are not making the cars fast enough and that I don't have mine yet!!!...

plus..

no standard HID's.. come on..
i slide somtimes when driving the car... bucket seats please..
windows are damn small..
but that's about it.. for now..

Quick Reply: Things that bug you about the IS 250/350