Things that bug you about the IS 250/350

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-05, 10:27 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

[QUOTE=kensteele]
Originally Posted by mhiggi02

It is Lexus' duty to tell the driver each and every time that just because we put this equipment here doesn't mean you should try to use it while you are driving. We shall do this with a warning message that you must acknowledge. They could care less if you hack and override this, they've done their duty by ensuring that each and every Nav that goes out the door includes this warning by default.

Does that help explain this?
You are misunderstanding the Nav Nanny. I'm not complaining (too loudly) about the warning that you must acknowledge every time you start the car. I'm complaining about the fact that about half of the user interface is locked out while the car is in motion. The only screen you can access from the phone is the "speed dial" screen. On the Nav side, as soon as you start moving the buttons to enter an address or to pick a point-of-interest are greyed out and don't respond. On the audio system, I might be looking at the details of an MP3 I'm playing. As soon as the car starts to move, that information is blacked out. Uhhhhhh.
Old 12-23-05, 10:33 AM
BlackStevo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Bichon]
Originally Posted by mhiggi02

Agreed, especially since the competition (e.g. Acura) doesn't do this. I thought the whole point of that legal warning (where you have to push "I agree" everytime you start the car) was to absolve them of liability.

P.S.
If they are so worried about driver liability, why do they have so many cup holders? Including one for a two liter bottle in the driver door map pocket. The Lexus lawyers think it is safer to pour soda pop at 65 MPH than to pick an entry in a phone book?

the problem is so many americans and just unbelieveably stupid dude. at 32 years old you'd think that most people who bought a cup of coffee at mcdonalds would know its hot right? well since the cup didnt have that little disclaimer someone got paid millions of dollars. A stupid american spilled it and then sued them for not saying its hot. Then more stupid americans agreed she should be awarded like 6 million dollars. when **** like that happens companies who create things that can potentially be blamed for accidents Cringe. They have to overdue everything to try to avoid being sued when some moron is entering a phone number and they run over a family of 4.5. this country is becoming more and more conservative every year. EG: a local catholic highschool by me has this crazy *** deacon running it. He's about 31 years old and you can tell he was not the popular one and he's cancelling the senior prom because he doesnt approve of what kids do after proms, like rent houses and have parties and get drunk and ****. its crazyy whats happeneing
Old 12-23-05, 10:33 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by YYZlexus
Things that bug you about the IS 250/350
These stupid threads!
Old 12-23-05, 10:39 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kensteele
On the Acura, you press the I Agree button and then you can manipulate the buttons while the car is moving. This could be seen by a jury as not going far enough to protect the driver, maybe Acura should disable the buttons while the car is moving in addition to providing the warning message.
I strongly disagree. Like the speedometers in cars in the 80's that wouldn't register above 85 MPH, it is an example of a car company doing the wrong thing for the right reasons. It is the driver's responsibility, not the car company, to ensure that proper attention is paid to the task of driving. If the courts don't see it that way, we need legislation to ensure that they do. There comes a point where people need to take responsibility for their own actions.

Having cup holders in the car do not send you the message that you should pour soda at 65mph. It just doesn't.
I wasn't talking about the cupholders. I was talking about the bottle holder in the driver's door.

Last edited by Bichon; 12-23-05 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-23-05, 10:45 AM
MatadorIS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bichon
I strongly disagree. Like the speedometers in cars in the 80's that wouldn't register above 85 MPH, it is an example of a car company doing the wrong thing for the right reasons. It is the driver's responsibility, not the car company, to ensure that proper attention is paid to the task of driving. If the courts don't see it that way, we need legislation to ensure that they do. There comes a point where people need to take responsibility for their own actions.

I wasn't talking about the cupholders. I was talking about the bottle holder in the driver's door.
The bottle holder in the door is only for small, 20oz. bottles. It's not going to fit a huge 2-liter bottle.
Old 12-23-05, 10:49 AM
erock901
Rookie

Can't really use the back up camera when it's raining. Wish they would've thought of a way to wipe/dry the camera automatically.
Old 12-23-05, 11:11 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bichon

well no one said the driver doesn't have to be responsible for their actions. he very well could be the responsible party. and so could the car manufacturer and the manufacturer realizes that the driver in a crash is not always the solely responsible and that they might bear some responsibility.

but wouldn't it be easier if the car manufacturer could try to limit their own responsibility as much as they possibly could beforehand? if it doesn't cost them anything, why shouldn't the car manufacturer attempt to make every effort they can to limit their liability? a good manufacturer who is responsible will do whatever they can to make sure they aren't responsible within reason.

you said "It is the driver's responsibility, not the car company, to ensure that proper attention is paid to the task of driving." so i disagree with this even more and i'm almost positive you won't get anyone here to agree with that. everybody knows there a dozens of things the car company needs to accomplish before it sells a car as safe to drive. a car company HAS to do certain things so that you as the driver can pay full attention to the task of driving. if the manufacturer unlawfully interfere with your ability to pay full attention to driving, they might be held [partially] responsible. if there is a crash and the driver is responsible, he will take the blame. if there is a crash and the car company is responsible, they will take the blame. if it is somewhere in between, which is probably most of the cases, in this country we have all agreed that a court will determine [the percentage] of blame. what more can one ask for?

same with the bottle holders in the door. if one were to look at that, they don't immediately get the idea that you should pour soda at 65mph. i just simply don't get that in my mind when i see those holders.
Old 12-23-05, 11:37 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kensteele
but wouldn't it be easier if the car manufacturer could try to limit their own responsibility as much as they possibly could beforehand? if it doesn't cost them anything, why shouldn't the car manufacturer attempt to make every effort they can to limit their liability?
Because their attempt to limit liability diminishes my enjoyment of the car (albeit slightly ). If there were two otherwise equal cars on the market, one with a nav nanny and one without, I'd buy the one without.

you said "It is the driver's responsibility, not the car company, to ensure that proper attention is paid to the task of driving." so i disagree with this even more and i'm almost positive you won't get anyone here to agree with that. everybody knows there a dozens of things the car company needs to accomplish before it sells a car as safe to drive. a car company HAS to do certain things so that you as the driver can pay full attention to the task of driving. if the manufacturer unlawfully interfere with your ability to pay full attention to driving, they might be held [partially] responsible.
I'm not sure what features you are talking about. Cars have had radios, climate control systems (in some cars a virtual sea of buttons on the dash) for years. Yes, a car must be designed properly, .e.g, pedal in the right place to reduce the likelyhood of unintended acceleration, etc., but I don't believe that locking out features in the nav system falls into that category. I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree on that point.
Old 12-23-05, 11:37 AM
cooney
Rookie

In no particular order, I wish:

• the radio had two antennas (front in addition to rear window) -- in L.A., a diversity antenna system really helps

• there was a place for parking meter change

• side & rear visibility was better -- it's a challenge, even with those elephant ear mirrors

• the power windows worked with the engine off and ACC selected (along with radio, etc.) -- now you have to go to the IGN setting

• there were marker lights in the three interior light switches above the rear view mirror -- hard to find in the dark

• the audio system compensation for different positions (driver, front, rear & all) didn't sound so artificial, with lots of out-of-phase information added on each side, except for the "all" position

• there was a lock on the center console box -- would have made me more sanguine about leaving an iPod there when I valet park

• they had found a way to put another two or three inches of leg room for the back seat

• the back seat folded down

• the transmission would stay in the same gear when switching to sport shift

• that in sport shift, the transmission would stay in the selected gear -- now it will auto shift up to the selected gear

• that the transmission did rev-matching when shifting

• there had been real iPod integration, so you could see the iPod info on the radio or instrument panel display screen

• that bi-xexons were either standard equipment or a stand-alone option

• that the sport suspension was a stand-alone option

• that the speedometer was marked for every 10 mph instead of every 20 mph, maybe by not having it go to 160 mph or whatever

• that Lexus would go easier on what seem like endless phone and mail surveys

Old 12-23-05, 12:28 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by MatadorIS
The bottle holder in the door is only for small, 20oz. bottles. It's not going to fit a huge 2-liter bottle.
Who the ****** drives around drinking out of a 2-liter bottle? That's the funniest complaint I've ever heard.
Old 12-23-05, 12:44 PM
pwndzzled
Rookie

Originally Posted by cooney

• the radio had two antennas (front in addition to rear window) -- in L.A., a diversity antenna system really helps

• side & rear visibility was better -- it's a challenge, even with those elephant ear mirrors

• the power windows worked with the engine off and ACC selected (along with radio, etc.) -- now you have to go to the IGN setting

• there were marker lights in the three interior light switches above the rear view mirror -- hard to find in the dark

• the audio system compensation for different positions (driver, front, rear & all) didn't sound so artificial, with lots of out-of-phase information added on each side, except for the "all" position

• there was a lock on the center console box -- would have made me more sanguine about leaving an iPod there when I valet park

• they had found a way to put another two or three inches of leg room for the back seat

• the back seat folded down

• the transmission would stay in the same gear when switching to sport shift

• that in sport shift, the transmission would stay in the selected gear -- now it will auto shift up to the selected gear

• that the transmission did rev-matching when shifting

• there had been real iPod integration, so you could see the iPod info on the radio or instrument panel display screen

• that bi-xexons were either standard equipment or a stand-alone option

• that the sport suspension was a stand-alone option

• that the speedometer was marked for every 10 mph instead of every 20 mph, maybe by not having it go to 160 mph or whatever

• that Lexus would go easier on what seem like endless phone and mail surveys

You added some that I forgot to mention that definitely should have been there... although... I haven't received any phone surveys yet.
Old 12-23-05, 12:51 PM
MatadorIS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Who the ****** drives around drinking out of a 2-liter bottle? That's the funniest complaint I've ever heard.
Me neither. I was just responding to Bichon's claim that the bottle holders in the doors are massive enough to hold gigantic bottles for the heavy sody drinkers!
Old 12-23-05, 01:31 PM
IS350spBLK
Driver

Originally Posted by cooney

Actually if you arn't a smoker or don't plan on using the ash tray.... you can take out the ash tray and it makes great room for meter change. Thats what I did.
Old 12-23-05, 02:17 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Biggest complaint I have right now on my IS 250 AWD w/Nav...

... Caller ID doesn't appear on the NAV screen on incoming calls when the car is moving. Sort of stupid because the average user is going to be fumbling for the phone to see who's actually calling instead of quickly glancing at the NAV screen.
Old 12-23-05, 03:18 PM
Sv.Tequila
Driver

Default Optional Accessory

Well I was thinking "how am I able to and the charger to my ipod and have the lid closed fully all the way?" Well I found this at RadioShack.com it pivots 90* and your able to charge up 2 things at once! But you need to have the extra cable to connect to the AUX.

Check it out!

Quick Reply: Things that bug you about the IS 250/350