IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Aftermarket HID Installation WITH PICTURES

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-06, 09:50 PM
rdrunner
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by teejnut
So the Xenondepot kit comes with the relay and the right connector to just plug-n-play? Hmm... that looks like the best solution.
Yup. Xenondepot comes with a harness with 2 relays and a direct plug into the battery.

Though. Looking at the specifications I think it would be alright to just hook them straight into the OEM power harness.

Each Low beam circuit has 15A fuse

Xenon Depot kit has a 20A fuse for both sides

So assuming 20/2 = 10A per side.. well below the 15 A Also current is additive! voltage is not.

BUT this is not for sure since I don't know who has tried it. Anyone hook up their Xenondepot ballast straight up to the OEM connectors?

Try at your own risk..since someone on my.is was complaining about their power steering going out?? scary.
Old 03-26-06, 09:53 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I bought my PROXENON kit when they had them on Ebay for $270 shipped.

Try XENONDEPOT ($379) but ask if they can sell you the ballast with integrated ignitor...instead of the useless separate slim ballast and ignitor. the good thing about the XENONDEPOT kit is they plug in directly instead of having to do this...
The XenonDepot only have a 4300K & 6000K for H11...
and what's the different between the slim ballast and the ballast with integrated ignitor?
Old 03-26-06, 11:30 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ybing
The XenonDepot only have a 4300K & 6000K for H11...
and what's the different between the slim ballast and the ballast with integrated ignitor?
XenonDepot also has the "Xtreme HID conversion kit" which don't use Phillips bulbs. That kit comes in 6500k and 8000k.
Old 03-27-06, 12:17 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by teejnut
XenonDepot also has the "Xtreme HID conversion kit" which don't use Phillips bulbs. That kit comes in 6500k and 8000k.
ya...but the 8000K dont have the H11 light bulb for IS250 and 350...
The Xtreme only have 6500K for H11...
But I just want to know...is the Slim ballast no good?
Old 03-27-06, 07:02 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ybing
ya...but the 8000K dont have the H11 light bulb for IS250 and 350...
The Xtreme only have 6500K for H11...
But I just want to know...is the Slim ballast no good?
the slim ballast is fine....but that just means you need twice as many places to hide the ballast and the separate ignitor.
Old 03-27-06, 07:05 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rdrunner
Yup. Xenondepot comes with a harness with 2 relays and a direct plug into the battery. Looking at the specifications I think it would be alright to just hook them straight into the OEM power harness.

Each Low beam circuit has 15A fuse

Xenon Depot kit has a 20A fuse for both sides

So assuming 20/2 = 10A per side.. well below the 15 A Also current is additive! voltage is not.

BUT this is not for sure since I don't know who has tried it. Anyone hook up their Xenondepot ballast straight up to the OEM connectors?

Try at your own risk..since someone on my.is was complaining about their power steering going out?? scary.
most people hook them in without the relays with no problems.....I used the relays/direct wire because i didn't want to chance anything.
Old 03-27-06, 12:13 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Hello,

We include a harness with the kit to be on the safe side. The kits are fitment specific not vehicle specific. Not every vehicle has wiring that is designed to accomodate the load required by HIDs upon startup. We just dont want to run the risk of someone damaging their OEM headlight harness.

We also include a harness with the kit to ensure that the ballasts get a constant 12V at all times. We have seen many cases where customers dont use a harness and the ballasts flicker at time due to a voltage fluctuation. This will cause them to burn out prematurely. Not saying that this has been the case with the IS however the car is also brand new so its really hard to tell. At least with the harness installed you know that they are always getting a constant 12V.

Steve
Old 03-27-06, 12:23 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Hello,

We include a harness with the kit to be on the safe side. The kits are fitment specific not vehicle specific. Not every vehicle has wiring that is designed to accomodate the load required by HIDs upon startup. We just dont want to run the risk of someone damaging their OEM headlight harness.

We also include a harness with the kit to ensure that the ballasts get a constant 12V at all times. We have seen many cases where customers dont use a harness and the ballasts flicker at time due to a voltage fluctuation. This will cause them to burn out prematurely. Not saying that this has been the case with the IS however the car is also brand new so its really hard to tell. At least with the harness installed you know that they are always getting a constant 12V.

Steve
I've heard great things about you Steve....

can you tell us if there's any type of CLUBLEXUS discount off the $379 price?

Thanks and keep up the good work!
Old 03-27-06, 12:30 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Hi Bagwell,

Im working on it.. Currently there is not however Im trying to set some sort of promo for the monthe of April =)

Old 03-27-06, 12:31 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve
do you have a picture of this harness? will it work with other kits? please let me know, thanks.
Old 03-27-06, 12:37 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Hello,

Please view the attached wiring diagram to get an idea of what is involved. The wiring diagram shown shows the two sides sharing a ground and lead to the battery. The new harnesses that will be included will be completely separate harnesses. You will have:
2 x leads to the battery
2 x grounds
2 x relays
2 x fuses
2 x connections to the OEM headlight harness ( 1 per side).

Each side will be completely independent of the other

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket HID Installation WITH PICTURES-xdman.gif  

Last edited by XenonDepot; 03-27-06 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-27-06, 12:43 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,

Here is the wiring diagram:

http://www.xenondepot.com/xdman.htm

Steve
fixed the link for you...

would it be possible to buy the relay portion of your kit with the wires and fuse?
Old 03-27-06, 12:51 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Steve, one thing about that diagram I don't get....

if the bulb(s) hooks directly to the ignitor(s), then how do you hook into the existing harness? the existing harness is inside a comprtment right next to bulb.
Old 03-27-06, 01:16 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

Hi Bagwell,

Im working on it.. Currently there is not however Im trying to set some sort of promo for the monthe of April =)

Steve- I've talking to you through your e-mail the last day or two. So what's the chance of a promo in April? If there's a promo coming up then I'll wait.
Old 03-27-06, 01:29 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Hello,

As per your posts:

1) car_lost - If you referring to the wiring harness then yes, we do sell them separately.

2) bagwell - Not all cars have the wiring within a headlight component. With the IS250 it appears that you will need to feed the trigger wires back into the headlight unit through the grommet supplied that is attached to the bulbs.

3) Teejnut - no promises yet but im doing my best to work something out for you guys =)

Steve

Quick Reply: Aftermarket HID Installation WITH PICTURES